Longest Lasting 1/2 Ton Pickup Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kstanf150

The Ford 3.5 Ecoboost you rented must of had a broke crankshaft. An Ecoboost pulls like a diesel. I've watched lots of Ecoboost vs ram vs Chevy videos don't recall an Ecoboost getting out run by a Hemi. Maybe there's one I missed 🤔

It won't, even with the "new" 8 speed in the Hemi, it was still poor in power and MPG. The only 1/2 ton that can hang with the Ecoboost 3.5 is the 6.2 GM truck. Power everywhere on the Ecoboost and while it doesn't have the sweet sound of a 5.0 but it's got the power for day to day usage and doing work. We tow a 9900lb camper with ours and the old 6 speed and it will pass stuff going up hill. It pulls like a freight train no matter what's going on. No turbo lag and just that power everywhere that a Diesel has without the nonsense of a Diesel

There's a reason Ford and GM sell the most of them, Ram brings up the rear and the rest are nonexistent. When your business relies on vehicles you tend to buy what is reliable, hence #1 and #2.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by itguy08

The Ford 3.5 Ecoboost you rented must of had a broke crankshaft. An Ecoboost pulls like a diesel. I've watched lots of Ecoboost vs ram vs Chevy videos don't recall an Ecoboost getting out run by a Hemi. Maybe there's one I missed 🤔

It won't, even with the "new" 8 speed in the Hemi, it was still poor in power and MPG. The only 1/2 ton that can hang with the Ecoboost 3.5 is the 6.2 GM truck. Power everywhere on the Ecoboost and while it doesn't have the sweet sound of a 5.0 but it's got the power for day to day usage and doing work. We tow a 9900lb camper with ours and the old 6 speed and it will pass stuff going up hill. It pulls like a freight train no matter what's going on. No turbo lag and just that power everywhere that a Diesel has without the nonsense of a Diesel

There's a reason Ford and GM sell the most of them, Ram brings up the rear and the rest are nonexistent. When your business relies on vehicles you tend to buy what is reliable, hence #1 and #2.

Preach on brother !!!!!
Tell the good news !!

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by wag123
GM (Chevy and GMC combined, they are the same truck anyway) actually sells as many half-tons as Ford.

As a SIlverado owner I can tell you that the Ford F-150 is in the lead (most months) even when you combine the GMC/Chevrolet half-tons. Chevrolet is in BIG TROUBLE with the 2019 Silverado redesign.

It's a shame as I actually like it in person. They screwed the interior up big time and just phoned it home. It will be a very sad day if Ram gets #2.

Trucks is what Ford does best and
The next gen of the F150 may ever well spell out bad news for sure for Chevy. Ram styling is what's keeping them hanging on right now. Ram will be #2 in just a few years

Tundra ????...³
Toyota the King of small trucks and they don't even register on the dial in 1/2 ton truck sells compared to the big three.
Ford sold 909,000 vs Toyota 119,000 in 2018
Thanks for a late nite laugh 🤣...†ðŸ¤£

Last edited:
Tundra ????...³
Toyota the King of small trucks and they don't even register on the dial in 1/2 ton truck sells compared to the big three.

Sales numbers aside....What makes a Ford F150 better than a Toyota Tundra? Historically speaking....Ford has far more engine problems than Toyota. The 3V 5.4L was a POS, The 5.0L Coyote had it's issues, I've replaced more than 1 locked up 3.7L, Done a bunch of timing chains on 3.5L Ecoboost engines.
I've replaced more Ford Ignition Coils than any other brand combined, That's saying a lot as I was a GM dealer tech for over half my career!

Cam Tower/Carrier leakage is the only pattern failure issue I've ever seen out of the Toyota UR series engines....Though the starter is a PITA to swap!.....The UZ V8 that preceded the UR was even more bulletproof when timing belts are done on schedule.

F-series truck sales includes at least the F250/F350, Toyota doesn't offer a competitive model!

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Tundra ????...³

Sales numbers aside....What makes a Ford F150 better than a Toyota Tundra? Historically speaking....Ford has far more engine problems than Toyota. The 3V 5.4L was a POS, The 5.0L Coyote had it's issues, I've replaced more than 1 locked up 3.7L, Done a bunch of timing chains on 3.5L Ecoboost engines.
I've replaced more Ford Ignition Coils than any other brand combined, That's saying a lot as I was a GM dealer tech for over half my career!

Cam Tower/Carrier leakage is the only pattern failure issue I've ever seen out of the Toyota UR series engines....Though the starter is a PITA to swap!.....The UZ V8 that preceded the UR was even more bulletproof when timing belts are done on schedule.

F-series truck sales includes at least the F250/F350, Toyota doesn't offer a competitive model!

The fly got his chuckles.

I agree clinebarger, sales numbers aside, the Ford brand has had its issues. GovMo is not immune either and Fiat ram has tailgates that open on their own.

The fly can have its opinion.

Sure when you manufacture over 900,000 trucks there's the potential for more failures. I've owned just about everything Ford has built in trucks in the last 40 years with all the engines you claim were POS. That dog don't hunt at my house, never NEVER had a failure of any kind and I logged thousands and thousands of miles. And I know lots of guys who own Fords as well who have never had the horror stories you tell.
And of course you've seen all the stuff gone wrong in your line of work. Your only working on the bad stuff, just like a doctor. Doctors don't see well folks
So how many Ford trucks are running up and down the road everyday without problems ? Lots and lot I'd say or Ford wouldn't be making 900,000 of em a year. American consumers ain't stupid year after year after year

Last edited:
That's like saying McD's makes the best food 'cuz they sell the most.

Threads like these are asinine. There is no concrete answer. It's nothing more than opinions, period! Go drive the trucks you like, pick the one that you like the most.

Originally Posted by JasonC
Threads like these are asinine. There is no concrete answer. It's nothing more than opinions, period! Go drive the trucks you like, pick the one that you like the most.

This.

Originally Posted by supton

They the most because it's cheap... not because is good

Then you understand the fallacy of using sales number to indicate quality?

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by JasonC

This.

But picking the one I like the most is to pick my own opinion over others opinion. What is to say mine is most correct?

While that sounds like a stupid statement--how many times have you looked back 5 or 10 years and realized you were wrong in the past, and others were right?

Ergo, I don't put much faith into my own opinions.

Then you understand the fallacy of using sales number to indicate quality?

900,000 trucks
Over 1 billion hamburgers

Trunk may last 20 or more years
Hamburger gonna turn into a 💩 in about 10 hours
So no comparison

Who knew...A thread on Full size trucks would devolve into a fill in the blank match between Ford, Chevy and Ram owners with a few vocal Toyota folks... Call me shocked.

ALL of the manufacturers make decent trucks. All of them have quirks and issues. That is a fact.

Go drive each of the brands in the configuration you are interested in. Then decide if you can live with the quirks on the brand you like the drive the best of.

I did exactly that when I bought my last truck (16 F150 XLT with the 2.7 Ecoboost (Which I can't say enough good things about)). I chose my Ford based on overall feel of the truck, best match of what I wanted, best fuel economy in my configuration, and I liked the Aluminum body, and past brand history. Those were factors for me, maybe not for anyone else. That's OK.

That being said, GM is in trouble with their current iteration of their trucks. The RAM is eating away at their numbers while Ford keeps holding its own or increases its sales- and its 1/2 ton is the oldest of the big three (though the Toyota is much older - my conclusion when I shopped is it felt like my 2004 F150 did, which wasn't a good thing in 2016).

Tough to make a bad choice in this arena.

Who wants a 1/2 ton truck anyway...
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back