Machine Polishers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have much experience with paint correction. I borrowed a friends Harbor Freight (Chicago Electric) 6" DA polisher for the last two years. It worked fine without a steep learning curve. Probable not the most powerful or refined machine but it got the job done without complaint and was pretty easy to use. I only have one car to maintain.

I planned on buying one this spring with coupon. Unfortunately they discontinued this model. Back to researching an under $100 DA polisher.

I use one of my Festool 6" RO sanders with a polishing buff. Set it on slow speed and speed it up to finish

I have a Porter Cable 7424 and a Meguiar's G110 v2. Both are fine. The PC works great with a 5" pad, but struggles a bit when slinging around a 6" pad or when using the Meguiar's DA Microfiber system. The G110 has a bit more torque. Anymore, I've been a huge fan over the Microfiber DA system over foam for correction. I usually keep my Microfiber DA backing plate on the G110 and either have a 5" or 3.5" backer for foam on the PC.

Flex 3401 with lake country force pads for me (got it for 200$ brand new from my buddy who bought it and never used for almost 2 years). This machine is a beast and really gets the job done regardless of the curvature. don't care about fancy free spinning rupes or griots G tools.

Griots Garage, about 6 or 7 years old. Flex is better, but also a lot more expensive. But have been pleased with the Griots.

Originally Posted by double vanos
13 year old Griots Garage, probably a re-branded Porter Cable.

yup i have one

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Originally Posted by double vanos
13 year old Griots Garage, probably a re-branded Porter Cable.

yup i have one

Me too. Works great.

The 25' cord is a thoughtful touch.

I've been using a PC 7424XP but my wife just got me a new Rupes LHR15 Mark III for my birthday (after I told her not to because I don't use it enough to justify the cost). I've got pads on order so I'm anxious to see how the Rupes corrects.

Originally Posted by Bear
Been using a Porter Cable 7424 for some 14 years now and just recently switched to 5" from the 6" pads. No issues.

Really like the Porter Cable here too. Reliable, easy to use, and works very well.

Originally Posted by gofast182
I've been using a PC 7424XP but my wife just got me a new Rupes LHR15 Mark III for my birthday (after I told her not to because I don't use it enough to justify the cost). I've got pads on order so I'm anxious to see how the Rupes corrects.

Very nice. I just picked up a Mark III 15 and 21 for myself. The Duetto and 21 (Gen1) were sold to a friend of mine who is going full-time with his detailing business so I needed another 6 and 7" machine. I still have my Rupes 75e and Flex PE14 rotary, but neither one get used very much.

D0B4A304-EA28-4DEE-B292-1D8C426BCC5F.jpeg

Harbor Fright 7424 knockoff. It doesn't work too bad, once you repack the bevel gears with good grease. I had some Pedro's "bike" grease that was repacked #2 ISO460 synthetic grease by a Canadian supplier.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by gofast182

Very nice. I just picked up a Mark III 15 and 21 for myself. The Duetto and 21 (Gen1) were sold to a friend of mine who is going full-time with his detailing business so I needed another 6 and 7" machine. I still have my Rupes 75e and Flex PE14 rotary, but neither one get used very much.

Nice! I'm thinking of a smaller backing plate and smaller pads for the PC to use in tighter areas. The Rupes uses a 6" pad compared to the 5.5" the PC currently uses so now I may have more areas I can't adequately get with the Rupes.

Kinda old school here......PC7336 with 4" pads, older Cyclo with on/off only, and Griot's older DA with 25' cord/5.25" pads.
They made me a decent living back in the day. In all honesty I don't know why I still have them, they haven't been used in years.

Nice new updated machines there Critic.
thumbsup2.gif
I recall when you were apprehensive about using a PC for the first time. You've come a long way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RTexasF
Kinda old school here......PC7336 with 4" pads, older Cyclo with on/off only, and Griot's older DA with 25' cord/5.25" pads.
They made me a decent living back in the day. In all honesty I don't know why I still have them, they haven't been used in years.

Nice new updated machines there Critic.
thumbsup2.gif
I recall when you were apprehensive about using a PC for the first time. You've come a long way.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back