Do you label your oil filters when installing them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do. Put the date (day /month / year) and mileage. Also put a small arrow on it so when it contacts the base I can use it to finish tightening the 3/4 round. I use Motorcraft filters so the writing stands out; the arrow is because the filter on a 3.5 EB is hidden pretty well.

Nope. In the 70's, I used to change "on the 3". 3,300, 6,600, 9,900 - or thereabouts. In the 90's, I went to change "on the 5". 5,000, 10,000, 15,000. I even made my own oil change sticker with a piece of tape & a marker.

Now, I just do it when the oil life monitor tells me to.

I always kept records. Receipts for the material, with the date & mileage of oil change written on the back. In the 2000's, I switched to keeping records online.

Nope. I used to keep a log book for oil changes. Now that I can't DIY, I take it to a local shop.

For spin-on filter tightening, since I use a socket adapter for the oil filter, I can easily tell the 3/4 rotation. FRAM marks(or marked) their filter cans to help people indicate the 3/4 tightening rule.

I keep everything in a little brown note book. Date, miles, what was used, how much was used etc., anything peculiar about car or that day.

I don't mark filters, I keep everything in a little brown note book. Date, miles, what was used, how much was used etc., anything peculiar about car or that day. Hard to mark a cartridge filter anyway.

I tend to use Hastings or Baldwin filters, so my black Sharpie works good for those. I post date, mileage, and weight on the end. Of course this doesn't work on the cars with cartridge style filters. ...Ž

I put the engine hours on the Fl-1A I use on my marine diesel engine, which is one reason I like the white canister! I also write the oil change information down in the boat log book. On cars and motorcycles I do not because a) in most of the applications I have it would be nearly impossible to read and b) I keep a written record in a little notebook I carry in my own personal car and on my motorcycle and I use Keep on my phone. For cars I put a piece of blue masking tape under the hood, usually near the front so it is noticeable with the mileage and date of the last OCI. There is logic behind all these different notes. First, any written record in my wife's car is highly likely to be lost, so I gave up keeping stuff in a small notebook there. The notebook in my own car includes fuel purchases, dates, and other repair notes too. The tape notes under the hood are there for me or any other mechanic to see and don't get lost. Keep notes on my phone are useful to jog my memory when away from the cars, or when shopping for supplies, or making plans for the next OC.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
No, now I just change the oil filter once a year for my winter(Nov-Dec) OCI.

Originally Posted by JC1
No I don't mark my filters. I keep maintenance records in an Excel doc.

^^^this too!

No. I do record all maintenance records in a small spiral pad stored in glove box. Usually can see some marking on filter to give me an idea of 2/3-3/4 turn. Never had an issue with removal, so that's worked. If hard to see, marking the filter not a bad idea.

I used to keep notes in the owners manual more for resale than anything else. It seems as if no-one cared about the notes in the manual so I quit doing that. Now I go by the oil life monitor and also use the blue painters masking tape and put the miles, date, and type of oil and filter used and put it on the black top part of the windshield just to the upper left of the rear view mirror.

If I'm having a bad day, I will put a 'reference' mark on the Filter so I could tell if it's unscrewing.
[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back