That's not 30-36 lb/ft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the first new-to-me 2010 Camry oil change today. Had to get the long wrench to get the oil pan bolt out. The crush washer was riveted (see pic), the inner side extruded in one direction and the outer edge the other.

Likewise the oil filter cap didn't want to move with reasonable force. Judging by my effort and the length of the wrench, it took about 200 lb/ft to get it off. Once off, I had to pound off the MotivX filter socket from the cap.

More than a few ugga-duggas happened here. Fortunately all threads seem to be OK, no leaks after proper torquing of both and 6 quarts of Mobil 1. Oil filter was a jobber, NAPA proSelect China, not impressed by the wavy pleats, never pulled a Toyota filter off looking like that, but I guess it did its job.

crush_120459040c.jpg

crush_120448209c.jpg

Oil change guys work like this ...

If a filter leaks, or a drain bolt falls off, they get fired.

If the next customer can't get the filter or drain plug off because they are so tight, not their problem ...

They ALWAYS over tighten !

Originally Posted by das_peikko
These right here. 1999 Toyota Camrys. They can only be tightened down one time.
Huh? Real Toyota ones are blue, since at least 2014. Toyota claims they must be replaced every time, but I've reused one several times with no leaking. That's because I don't overtighten the plug, and don't take the washer off the pan. Drain plug still looks brand new at 99k. Nevertheless, I bought spare washers, just in case...

Originally Posted by CR94
Huh? Real Toyota ones are blue, since at least 2014. Toyota claims they must be replaced every time, but I've reused one several times with no leaking. That's because I don't overtighten the plug, and don't take the washer off the pan. Drain plug still looks brand new at 99k. Nevertheless, I bought spare washers, just in case...

They were always green with writing on them like in the picture. The oil filter box was white with Toyota printed in red diagonally about a hundred times. I was a lube tech for a Toyota dealer in 1999. Our method of torque was two fingers on a knife edge 14mm combination wrench.

They can only be tightened down one time.

Lube shops and independent garages simply don't carry every drain plug washer. Some may not carry any. They just reuse whatever is on the car. They know it's wrong. You know it's wrong. And it continues to happen. Even though we are talking about a part which cost $0.25. It cuts into their bottom line! If they service 4,000,000 cars, it's $1Million!

I once saw a car with the drain plug head rounded, the washer crushed and flattened beyond belief, and all sorts of blue "stuff" all over the drain port. Corner mechanic shop who serviced the car since it was new provided the insight. Oil leaking. His guys have had to use air impact tools to slam the drain plug in tighter and Loctite on the threads and under the washer to stem the oil leak. This guy is suppose to be a professional!

I found another car with epoxy gummed all around the drain plug. Same story. Gomer & Goober Pyle, the family's trusted mechanics for years, have serviced the car since it was new. Gomer confirmed that there was an oil leak, so he sealed with epoxy a few years ago. I asked him how he's been changing the oil. With a hint of pride in his voice, he told me that in their shop, they have a pump with a hose down the dipstick tube. Again, he is suppose to be a professional!

The factory filter on my 13 Sonata was on so tight I rounded it with a cheap cap style wrench after none of my band types would work. I almost resorted to punching the thing...†. Dumb 🤖 robot.

Yes, oil change places do all sorts of weird stuff. I know, I used to work at a Chevy dealer in the 1980's.
Changing the oil type jobs were given to unskilled workers as in non mechanics. It really made no difference what the customer wanted for oil type, all engines got the same oil. We had a big oil tank and overhead hose to fill from. The tech put in whatever oil he wanted. It was a real crapshoot what you might end up with in the engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CR94
Huh? Real Toyota ones are blue, since at least 2014. ...
They were always green with writing on them like in the picture. ...
Does that color difference have to do with a size or age difference? The one installed by the dealer on my car when they last changed the oil (in September 2015) is blue. The pack of Toyota ones I ordered from another Toyota dealer are the same shade of blue. All the ones I see on Amazon that are claimed to be genuine Toyota parts are blue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back