9gtronic transmission fluid for 7gtronic plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://blog.fcpeuro.com/mercedes-benz-722.9-transmission-service-modifications

FCPEuro has some interesting recommendations for servicing Mercedes 7gtonic plus transmissions. Currently, the 7gtronic plus (2nd gen. 7 speed) uses fluids listed in MB sheet 235.15.

The 9gtronic 9 speed transmission uses fluid speced under MB sheet 235.17. FCPEuro recommends using the 9 speed transmission fluid on the 7gtronic, basically dumping 235.15 and replacing it with 235.17.

What are your thoughts on FCPEuro's recommendation?

Typo: It's 236.xx not 235.xx

I don't know why FCP is recommending. I would ask. Perhaps they were made aware of some "unofficial" backwards compatibility?

I asked, will update.

I thought the blog post was extremely informative. Seems like Mercedes was making multiple developments when upgrading from 7g to 7g+.

Didn't realize the OEM filter was so advanced and better than aftermarket filters.

If you got an early model 7g+, and didn't get the upgraded filter and deeper pan, IMO it's worth the money to upgrade to deeper pan with the advanced filtron filter.

The 7g+ is very close to the 9g. In fact I believe 7g+ has the hardware to do 9 speeds. The similarity of the transmissions may be why the 9 speed fluid could work in 7g+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back