dealer short me half quart

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I get my oil changed at the dealer, I immediately drain two quarts out, then go back in and get myself two fresh quarts...it's the little things.

Originally Posted by Railrust
When I get my oil changed at the dealer, I immediately drain two quarts out, then go back in and get myself two fresh quarts...it's the little things.

And why two quarts ? What's the reason ?

Originally Posted by MetalSlug
I change my own oil every other vehicles . Just my titan l. They gave me a deal on oil change when I bought the truck .

I top the oil this morning . Seen all good . Next time I will check the oil while I'm still at dealer

They didn't give you a deal on oil changes.
You paid somehow .
Just keep it between the marks on dipstick and worry about some other major problem.

Wait, what?
21.gif

He's draining 2 quarts from the pan to use for something else and then going back in for a 2-quart "top off" LOL.
2 quarts specifically because most street vehicle engines will run fine with 2 quarts missing, for a few minutes.
Good to see people have sense of humor around here.

Originally Posted by Patman

Wait, what?
21.gif

Wow..........
21.gif

Since when is the dealer required to fill to the full mark on the dipstick? They seem to have done exactly what they were supposed to do.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Common sense 🤔 Right ? !!ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by JoelB
Since when is the dealer required to fill to the full mark on the dipstick? They seem to have done exactly what they were supposed to do.

I believe his concern is that after previous oil changes, it was always a the full mark. So, he has observed a marked departure and is questioning it. When I change oil, I don't expect it necessarily to be at full or at any specific point, but I do expect it to be at the same place each time when I change the oil with the same quantity of oil and same filter.

Between add and full is perfectly acceptable. When previous oil changes lead to it being at a different level, it's just something some of us notice and dislike.

My owners manual says 5.4 quarts fill, 5.7 quarts with filter.

As if I would drive without a filter! Just kidding. I know what they mean.

The dipstick has 2 holes. On 1 side of the dipstick, there is a checkered marking from the bottom hole, to just past 1/2-way to the top hole. When I install 5 quarts, oil level is perfectly at the top of the checkered marking. Now the OCD kicks in. With a urine specimen cup I stole from the Doctor's office, I carefully measure in 0.1 quart at a time, allow 20 minutes for that to settle, check the dipstick again..........just kidding! You can obsess over it for hours, and your car will still run the same.

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Common sense 🤔 Right ? !!ðŸ‘

Man I'm just waiting for railrust to explain this one...³
This one has got me Puzzled

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OnTheRocks

The dipstick has 2 holes. On 1 side of the dipstick, there is a checkered marking from the bottom hole, to just past 1/2-way to the top hole. When I install 5 quarts, oil level is perfectly at the top of the checkered marking. Now the OCD kicks in. With a urine specimen cup I stole from the Doctor's office, I carefully measure in 0.1 quart at a time, allow 20 minutes for that to settle, check the dipstick again..........just kidding! You can obsess over it for hours, and your car will still run the same.

Some of the people around here would have a heart attack if they had to service some of the stationary irrigation motors I deal with. The dipstick tube is welded shut, and you just have a oily, stained sight gauge threaded into the oil pan to judge oil level on.

Originally Posted by OnTheRocks

When I install 5 quarts, oil level is perfectly at the top of the checkered marking. Now the OCD kicks in. With a urine specimen cup I stole from the Doctor's office, I carefully measure in 0.1 quart at a time, allow 20 minutes for that to settle, check the dipstick again..........

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Time spent getting to, from, and waiting at the dealer for 2 quarts of "mystery barrel oil" makes low level theft like that a negative value.

UD

Thou Shall Not Steal.

â™»ï¸ Gamer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back