Who is lying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder from one of my relatives.

He told me the last time he changed the engine oil was 2018 November.

However: I checked the oil level now a few months later since I am driving the car and I barely could see any oil on the stick.

I bought the car to a repair store and asked them to change the oil. (they would not let me stay in the repair garage) He told me that was barely any oil came out of the car.

He also said he saw some sticker that says that the last time they changed the oil was 2014 is that true they put the dates somewhere on the car?

Is that possible that the car runs for years with a tiny bit of oil?

Who is lying?

It's entirely possible to change the oil without changing the sticker. Both parties can be telling the truth in this situation.

Did he change it, or did he have it changed? Oil change shops keep records of oil changes.

I am 100% sure he went to a shop, but no idea where. (if he actually did it)

Originally Posted by Rand
cant tell from your information.

Originally Posted by Jethro_Bob
It's entirely possible to change the oil without changing the sticker. Both parties can be telling the truth in this situation.

These.

Ask your relative???

As said, there could be a date on the filter (I do that on family members vehicles), could be a window sticker (I would think you would have seen that), or could have been in the shops records that last time vehicle had oil changed at that location was 5 years ago (but could have been changed somewhere else since then).

No idea why the mechanic would lie. No idea why the relative would lie. No idea who (if anyone) is lying.

From now on though, you keep up with it and you should be OK, Check the oil level regularly to see how much oil it goes through and top off accordingly. Maybe do a short interval this time?

Originally Posted by dave1251
He may have changed it and you have a oil consumer.

Yes and in a few thousand miles you may know. Just watch the oil close. If its using oil and your relative didn't tell you that well just saying don't buy your next car there.

But just because you found a sticker from 2014 doesn't mean that was the last change some people don't use those stickers and those stickers can fall off. Now you have current documentation and you'll sort it out.

By the way did I miss it how miles does the car have on it?

Last edited:
Your relative may not be aware it's consuming oil. He very well could have taken it in back in 11/18 and you take it to another shop. His shop may not have told him the oil was low.

Originally Posted by wjeszy
The car has about 120 000 miles.

At that mileage I would think that with any reasonable level of maintenance that shouldn't be a issue. Do you have access to the cars maintenance records? On Guam there really can't be many options. If its not a smoker first thing I'd check if its still losing oil park it someplace were you can check if it is leaking and 2 PCV replacement.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JLTD
Neither is lying, both are lying, or one is lying. Can't tell...just drive the vehicle and choose a decent OCI.

There are three sides to every story: yours, mine and the truth!
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back