2020 Supra 0-120mph

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Supra is looking to be in another league from the 370Z. Do note that when the previous generations of the Supra were produced, they were in direct competition to the Mazda RX-7 and whatever Z car was current in the Nissan lineup of the day. It should be no surprise that it will be so compared now, despite the pricing differential.

What is it trying to compete with now? The Infinti Q60? Lexus's own RC F?

The price of a Supra versus its competition is not a high school argument. That's something that really does matter. If we're going to take a very wide price range and say that the Supra is better than a Z because of refinement, I might as well get real refinement and go for the Lexus. Why should I choose either over a Cayman?

Originally Posted by Garak
The Supra is looking to be in another league from the 370Z. Do note that when the previous generations of the Supra were produced, they were in direct competition to the Mazda RX-7 and whatever Z car was current in the Nissan lineup of the day. It should be no surprise that it will be so compared now, despite the pricing differential.

What is it trying to compete with now? The Infinti Q60? Lexus's own RC F?

The price of a Supra versus its competition is not a high school argument. That's something that really does matter. If we're going to take a very wide price range and say that the Supra is better than a Z because of refinement, I might as well get real refinement and go for the Lexus. Why should I choose either over a Cayman?

Because a Cayman S starts at a hair under $70K and the Supra starts at around $50K?

They competed with the 300ZX TT back in the day, and that care MSRP'ed for $50K...IN 1996!

The RC-F is nice. It also starts at $65K, and it's a different kind of car.

The Q60? Dude. No. Nothing about it is anywhere near the other cars you mentioned. It's half a second slower to 60 nearly, barely breaks .90 on the skidpad, and its weight distribution is decidedly nose-heavy and I doubt it comes anywhere near the handling prowess or feel of the Supra or the Cayman S. It's more of a "cheap RC-F" competitor.

The Q60 can also be had a bit cheaper. Now, we're told the Supra will start at around $50,000, but we still have to see. Okay, don't buy a Cayman because the Supra is cheaper. I won't buy the Supra because the Z is cheaper.

When things like the 300ZX TT, the Supra, and the RX-7 were in their last years, they were all overpriced by a significant margin.

The Q60 can also be had a bit cheaper. Now, we're told the Supra will start at around $50,000, but we still have to see. Okay, don't buy a Cayman because the Supra is cheaper. I won't buy the Supra because the Z is cheaper.

When things like the 300ZX TT, the Supra, and the RX-7 were in their last years, they were all overpriced by a significant margin.

You can have a car with 50/50 weight distribution and a sweet DCT...or a 370Z for $10K less. Pick what you want I guess.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
The Supra is not a hybrid.

Originally Posted by MCompact

Yes- I've never heard that...

The OP means that it's a hybrid as in collaboration between German and Japanese companies.

I found the a recent Jalopnik article interesting. They felt it was more powerful then what Toyota advertises. They were able to dyno test one and achieved this:

339 HP and 427 lb-ft of torque—at the wheels.
t's rated at 335 HP and 365 lb-ft of torque.

370z is not a Nissan halo car its just a less expensive sports car. Not what it competes against.

Last edited:
I think this will sell about as well as the new Acura NSX.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Ws6
You can have a car with 50/50 weight distribution and a sweet DCT...or a 370Z for $10K less. Pick what you want I guess.

The differential between the 370Z and a Supra will be significantly more here, I wager.

Originally Posted by madRiver
I found the a recent Jalopnik article interesting. They felt it was more powerful then what Toyota advertises. They were able to dyno test one and achieved this:

370z is not a Nissan halo car its just a less expensive sports car. Not what it competes against.

339hp is a 370Z with literally every bolt-on possible and a ragged-edge tune. 427tq isn't even 370Z related, even after a TT setup on stock internals.

Originally Posted by Ws6

The differential between the 370Z and a Supra will be significantly more here, I wager.

Why? Both are JDM vehicles, why would they be import-taxed differently?

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by MCompact

Yes- I've never heard that...

The OP means that it's a hybrid as in collaboration between German and Japanese companies.

Really? That's what he means? From what context?

Originally Posted by madRiver

Nothing new... BMWs have made more power at the wheels than advertised (at the crank) for quite some time. That certainly explains the 3.8s 0-60 time reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back