R.I.P. Niki Lauda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loved Ron Howard's "Rush" movie portraying Lauda. That's a real racing movie. True story.
[Linked Image]

Another childhood idol gone. Young, too young, but I'm sure breathing in whatever he did in that fire, as well as the lung damage didn't help.

I remember Lauda and Prost battling for the '84 championship, F1's best years IMO.

Read his autobiography if you can; Meine Story. He was a very focused and intense person, to the extreme, and also wildly successful in racing, bushiness and quite an accomplished pilot.

RIP Sir.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just assumed he'd live forever.
Funny story, family member was working
at an aircraft manufacturer, Mr. Lauda came to pick up
his jet & she casually mentions the 'airline owner' coming
to town. I asked if she noticed anything unusual about him.
She & her co-workers had zero idea of who the owner was,
no history, nothing. And this was just several years ago.
A quick wiki search would've brought them up to speed.
They meet a legend & all they knew was he was an airline operator/owner from Austria. : l

Last edited:
Dang. A real competitor in everything he did. The Mercedes team must be a bit shell shocked. Anyone know how Nikki passed? What was the last race he was seen at?

As I recall, the last one he attended was the last one before the 2018 summer break. He went away on holiday to Ibiza, if I remember the events correctly, and he had a persistent cough that just wouldn't go away. He got his lung transplant, and I don't think he returned to a race since then, even after being released from hospital. The talk now is that he was on dialysis recently, so organ failure may be involved.

Danm sad. He was one tough nut in much the same mold of AJ Foyt who has had a lot of medical challenges as well or that other man of iron, Alex Zanardi.

Yes. Unfortunately the faces we are used to seeing on the paddock are fading away. Ron Dennis got turfed, Bernie shows up sporadically, Sir Frank doesn't travel any longer, Charlie left us suddenly, and Niki has left us way too soon. The weekends will be poorer without him, and this one will be pretty glum. I bet we'll get some pretty impressive montages, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back