Removed Valve Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
It needed to be replaced with the new one; it developed a crack over the years that has leaked oil; the engine is approaching 220K mark and I wanted to share its condition with the community.

IMG_2375.jpeg

IMG_2373.jpeg

IMG_2379.jpeg

IMG_2381.jpeg

IMG_2388.jpeg

IMG_2393.jpeg

yes; I've used for its life dino, semi and lately synthetic only; I did not stick to the specific brand as long as it was 5w20; oil changes performed at 3-5K for time being; it is a MZR generation, the Mazda engine

i've noticed darker camshaft, facing the front of the vehicle then the one next to the exhaust for some reason

Last edited:
How common is a cracked valve cover? How much will you save by doing this job yourself?

I did the same in the past; unfortunately, the valve cover on my car is made by plastic; I hate when an engine drips the oil so I did replacement; 14 bolts altogether, easy job to do, less than 2hrs

I honestly thought I was looking at a Ford Focus engine!
My 07 looked almost identical when I replaced the valve cover gasket (also a plastic valve cover).

Originally Posted by Leo99
How common is a cracked valve cover? How much will you save by doing this job yourself?

I don't know how common a cracked valve cover is. As for the cost savings I'm sure the stealership would charge at least an hour labour, maybe more.

To me the experience working in your own car can't be measured in dollars. It's priceless to me even if it throws challenges my way working on rusty and siezed nuts and bolts.

What is the "bladed thing" at the right end of the intake cam?
It's clearly visible in pictures 1 and 4.

I'm guessing it's part of a counting/positioning system.

Not bad looking .

Don't you love it when a plastic part goes bad & the old style metal equivelent never gave any problem ?

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
220,000 miles on 5w20? Oh. The humanity!
laugh.gif

But but HTHS 3.5 but but but MOFT
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JC1
To me the experience working in your own car can't be measured in dollars. It's priceless to me even if it throws challenges my way working on rusty and siezed nuts and bolts.
There's nothing quite like the feeling of a job well done on your own stuff! Pulling it out of the driveway after cleaning up feels glorious!

228,000 on my 08 Ford Edge with only dino since new and mine looks just like yours. I bet the full syn oil guys are just in horror that anybody runs a dino oil and the car made it out of the driveway without puking the rods out the bottom.

Originally Posted by Kira
What is the "bladed thing" at the right end of the intake cam?
It's clearly visible in pictures 1 and 4.

I'm guessing it's part of a counting/positioning system.

thumbsup2.gif

Correct; that is a part of the positioning system; the cam position sensor sits just above it, located on the valve cover itself

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Not bad looking .

Don't you love it when a plastic part goes bad & the old style metal equivelent never gave any problem ?

There was just a hair line crack at the groove where gasket sits between engine block on the valve cover side but it was enough to develop a leak over time

Originally Posted by JC1
Originally Posted by Leo99

I don't know how common a cracked valve cover is. As for the cost savings I'm sure the stealership would charge at least an hour labour, maybe more.

I was thinking the other way. That you saved yourself a lot of money and also had fun doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back