Have you ever dealt with an oil filter so tight that even hammer and screwdriver

Status
Not open for further replies.
wasn't enough?
mad.gif

Eventually, I found a really long T-handle I could get in it, but I still had to pull on it HARD, and even then, it only moved a little bit! I had to hammer another hole in it, and then only a little more movement. Then I was able to get back to the original holes and pull it another quarter turn. Then, I was finally able to remove the filter.

No picture of the filter because it was mangled so bad and would tell you nothing. But it was an Autozone STP made by Purolator.

Yep. Years ago I put a Goodwrench 5.3 in a 2004 Silverado that came with a filter already installed as the engine had been prelubed at the factory. Once it came back for its first oil change since the engine replacement, I found that the builder installed the filter so tight it had collapsed the center of the filter against the threaded boss on the oil pan. Ended up having to destroy the filter enough to use a giant hex bit (12 or 14 mm, can't remember) to turn the threaded boss and shredded filter remains out of the oil pan, and then clamp the remains of the filter in a vise and use an impact to hammer the boss out of the filter. Total nightmare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember the old "Once gasket contacts oil filter flange tighten 3/4 of a turn and stop." Most people would freak out if they had to stop there. I've always tighten by hand and never had a problem.

In theory, every car does have a torque spec for oil filters. There are even oil filter torque wrenches. You can use any oil filter with a nut on the end, and a torque wrench with the correct size socket.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So true! The tightest oil filter I ever had was on the wife's new 2009 F150 with the 5.4. The factory filter, and the forums warned that a gorilla put them on at the factory- they were right. Luckily I had a squeeze type oil filter wrench, demolished the filter in the process of removing it. All my Ecoboost after that were put on normally, I guess they fired the gorilla.

And agreed, contact with base plus 1/2 to 3/4 turn is all that's necessary. 12 - 15 ft lbs on the drain plug, done!

Never really thought of using a screwdriver & hammer. If my filter pliers don't get it off....I go straight for the Air Hammer & Chisel bit right at the base plate!!

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Never really thought of using a screwdriver & hammer. If my filter pliers don't get it off....I go straight for the Air Hammer & Chisel bit right at the base plate!!

Been there - I had a midwest "5 year special" rust on special shred to bits and I had to go at it with an air chisel on the baseplate.

Was a real mess.

UD

Buddy of mine has a pipe wrench with a chain. He said that he bought it to use once. Once. New car. Filter was real tight from factory. He had his mind set on being able to take it off.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
Sears Craftsman oil filter wrench and a breaker bar works.

My brother in law swears by this one. Extensions will get the tool to the filter, and leave you with plenty of room for the breaker bar.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
On my former 2009 Dodge Charger police model that my brother now has... garage who did the work is not very good. The filter felt like it was put on with an impact gun and welded to boot. And they used cheap filters ( don't remember the brand, but it wasn't a Mopar). The filter collapsed, tore apart, and shredded into razor sharp pieces. Finally got it off using a chisel on the baseplate. Since I do the oil changes now, they get installed properly.

The factory filter on my Focus was so tight I thought I was going to have to take the adapter off the block and buy a new one from the dealer. I eventually got it off with a hammer and chisel.

I guess I've been lucky. only had to use the screwdriver and hammer twice.

I like the tip of the air chisel, noted for any time in the future this is a real issue.

Yes, I bought a used 72 Pontiac Grand Prix many years ago. I tried to change the oil in it and the filter wouldn't come off. I then did the screwdriver/hammer trick to no avail. I had to have it towed in to a local gas/station repair shop (the old two bay style) and they put it on the lift and removed it for me. What a PITA. I have changed a lot of oil and never seen one that tight before. Hercules must have been drinking energy drinks when he tightened that one up.

Two reasons for that some idiot put it on with a tool and or likely didn't oil the gasket. If you DIY you avoid this! These filter are not designed to be torqued down at hundreds of foot pounds. Hand tight then about an addition 1/4 " turn.

Last edited:
One of the reasons I gave up getting my oil changes done "professionally" is that almost without fail the drain plug would either be overtightened or stripped eventually, and the filters were put on way too tight. I usually buy well used cars, and since most people get their oil changes at the cheapest possible places I find the first change I do is the hardest--both the filter and the drain plug will be on way too tight! It's also when I note the lack of a crush washer and the wrong filter for the application, which is also inevitably a brand I have never heard of.

Way back in 1997, I had my first Grand Marquis (4.6L). When it came time for the first OCI, the OEM filter was on there so tight that the cup-filter-wrench only twisted/wrinkled the top of the can. Then I had to try the screwdriver trick; drive it through the can and turn. No luck - still could not get it off; it only further torn the can. Finally had to peel the can apart enough to get a chisel down to the base-plate, and hammer it around it's circumference to turn it off the stud.

Took me over an hour and a half. And for anyone who knows that chassis/engine, it ain't easy getting to the filter. All this while lying the the steaming heat of a summer evening in the driveway, being attacked by mosquitoes, and working 12 hours shifts with little sleep, and still needing to mow the lawn before bedtime. I must confess I had very hateful thoughts of what I would have done to the moron that put the filter on that tight at the factory; to say I was angry is an understatement.

Yes, and it was always a new car on a first oil change.

Fortunately, no I have not. I expect that's because primarily I do the work on my own vehicles so they're not overtightened. Tightest one on new vehicles, but not so much that topic method required. Not even close.

I have read of a few doozy ones over the years posted this subforum. The one linked comes most to mind, as noted in link there was another on a boat motor requiring a Bogert Aviation filter tool , or a home made reasonable facsimile.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4413394/Stuck_oil_filter?_Use_a_pipe_w

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back