2007 altima coil spring choice + mechanic question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2007 altima 3.5s needs rear coil springs. I pretty much always order from rockauto due to being canadian (they handle duty/taxes and are waaaaay cheaper than parts up here in canada).

Rockauto has 2 choices for me;

MOOG® Problem Solver® for $46.79 USD or
ACDelco Professional for $67.99 USD

Q1. any advice on which is a better quality part would be appreciated.

Q2. will the ride height be the same with both of these springs? I found one single review when googling the part number, which claims that the acdelco has 7 "coils" vs 6 on the moog, and claims the ride height is higher than stock.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B07B3MV1PS

Q3. can replacing only rear coil springs increase (rear) ride height, or are other adjustments necessary?

Q4. one mechanic told me an alignment is required after this job, another said its not necessary. thoughts?

Thanks!

Why not just get OEM Springs? Cost? Sometimes it's better to go with what came on the car.
An alignment is not usually needed.

With that Altima, heavier rear springs might not be a bad idea. There's been many times I've seen Altimas sagging on the back end when carrying back seat passengers.

Originally Posted by MParr
Why not just get OEM Springs? Cost? Sometimes it's better to go with what came on the car.
An alignment is not usually needed.

i dont know the prices for the OEM pieces yet, i will look into it.

with that being said, im not super impressed with the fact that both rear springs completely snapped at 45k miles, so im not sure if OEM is worth the premium price.

also, are real OEM parts available online? i always thought they were only available from the dealership, but google is showing me a few US based sites, cant seem to find any Canadian ones.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
With that Altima, heavier rear springs might not be a bad idea. There's been many times I've seen Altimas sagging on the back end when carrying back seat passengers.

are you saying the acdelco is a heavier rear spring, or that i should look at alternatives?

any suggestions?

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
It may only be 45K miles, but it's also 12 years. Try carid.com for other part options.

the only other parts they have are a company called "original equipment" and mavotech, in addition to the moog and acdelco pro

it seems like "original equipment" is the name of a company, and not actual OEM parts. the description says this: "many of our manufacturers are suppliers to the vehicle manufacturers, so the parts you get from us may be the same as the ones that came on your car or truck."

or maybe im a moron and Original Equipment® = OEM?

https://www.carid.com/2007-nissan-altima-coil-springs/?filter=1&field%5B368204%5D%5B1%5D=Rear

Last edited:
It may only be 45K miles, but it's also 12 years ...

... 12 years in Quebec, where cars often RUST to death ...

thanks for the link. Unfortunately, including all duty/shipping/etc it will cost me 200 USD for the OEM set.

i can get the acdelco for 110 USD all in and moog for 90 all in.

decisions decisions lol

Originally Posted by geeman789
It may only be 45K miles, but it's also 12 years ...

... 12 years in Quebec, where cars often RUST to death ...

haha yes good point. this car was in florida for the first 5 years of its life, but 7 years of QC winter is still rough lol

Originally Posted by bigdavey
thanks for the link. Unfortunately, including all duty/shipping/etc it will cost me 200 USD for the OEM set.

i can get the acdelco for 110 USD all in and moog for 90 all in.

decisions decisions lol

Between those two, it doesn't matter.

All the aftermarket springs for a given car are likely the same, with generic spring rates, etc. You might as well get the Moog since the Delcos are probably reboxed Moog anyway

in your opininon, worth the extra 100 USD for OEM?

money is obviously part of the equation, but if the quality is really night and day i would spend double.

Originally Posted by bigdavey
in your opininon, worth the extra 100 USD for OEM?

money is obviously part of the equation, but if the quality is really night and day i would spend double.

How long do you plan on keeping the car? Is it in otherwise good shape? Obviously, if the car is rusting apart, then no, don't spend the extra money.

If you plan on keeping the car awhile, get the OEM springs of you can afford them.

Do you Krown your cars?

realistically i think i will keep this car for 4 years max, and i really only drive 10k miles a year (usually less) city driving.

Car is in very good condition IMO (only maintenance needed until now),. Its not rusting apart, there is zero visible rust on the paint, only the under-body when its on a lift (that i know of). i haven't rust proofed it (it didn't see salt for the first few years of life) but i am considering rust proofing it with krown before next winter.

Last edited:
I recently installed a pair of AC Delco's From Rock Auto on the rear of my Mercury. They were made in USA, had the same specs as the Moogs and were less money. The ride height after a while, settled at 1.25 inches higher than my old ( 32 year old) sagging original springs. Where you will notice the biggest difference is the height is maintained better with a full load. This is especially true with the variable rate cargo coils. The cargo coils will stiffen up the ride a lot, so if that isn't what you want, choose non cargos.I would check the specs between the two and choose the one at the lowest cost.
I didn't need an alignment because my rear was non adjustable and I only had to disconnect the shocks. If your rear suspension is adjustable, you may need an alignment. Depends how much has to be disassmbled.

Last edited:
I would use neither as they are not good quality, (they used to be) but in your situation, does it really matter? How long are you going to keep this 12yo car? Perhaps this ought to be you guide.

Originally Posted by Pelican
I would use neither as they are not good quality, (they used to be) but in your situation, does it really matter? How long are you going to keep this 12yo car? Perhaps this ought to be you guide.

Do you have any facts to back up or is this your opinion? Sounds like hogwash to me.

Originally Posted by Pelican

well it has 45k miles and minimal rust, as i mentioned in my other posts.

I also mentioned that i will use this car for 4 more years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back