Tire dealer sold me 4 year old tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by zmelli
What a Crock, Tires have RFID chips installed, it would be very easy to track the DOT Codes. That is how the FBI, DEA, catch people, when the tire does not match the car.

Is that before or after they anal probe you?

I would be happy but it's not a big problem for me. our cars see 15-30k miles annually each, so I would wear them out in plenty of time. I have also indirectly purchased old tires when I bought two different new, non-current motorcycles. In the future, just ask to see that actual tires before you purchase. I'm guessing that they will give some discount; not sure about "substantial"

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
What a Crock, Tires have RFID chips installed, it would be very easy to track the DOT Codes. That is how the FBI, DEA, catch people, when the tire does not match the car.

Is that before or after they anal probe you?
I'm unaware of the proper order, ie., which is the more effective way. Perhaps more experts on FBI, DEA procedures can weigh in.

I wouldn't be too pleased with 4 year old new tires either. As I've never had that issue, not sure how to advise.

Originally Posted by lange
Bought new tires for a 2002 Lexus Rx300 (225/70/16) at one of the local shops here in Nebraska- Goodyear Assurance Comfortreads. After I left the shop, I noticed the date code on the tires was 5014. I called them back and told them I was dissatisfied the tires were over 4 years old. The salesman was going to check with his bosses to see what they can do, and I'm hoping they will make amends. I was going to insist on tires made within the past year or a substantial credit. Anything else I should request for them to make it right? The salesman said the tires were stored in the warehouse and the manufacturers warranty would be good for 6 years but I'm not sure that's right. What also makes this very disappointing was this is a Goodyear dealer I bought from, not some back alley mechanic shop.

Annoying for sure but have you actually read the manufacturers warranty which comes with the tires to determine when the warranty clock starts ticking? If it's from the date of sale then you should be fine. Just look forward to acquiring a new set in a couple of years are a pro-rated discount.

Originally Posted by user52165
I Back in the Day, I would buy tires at Costco on sale before I needed them. Stack them in my Garage for 6m to 8m , return them back to the tire shop and hand pick fresh DOTs. The Costco Tire shop employees did not have a problem with this. Things have changed at Costco now, I recently Bought a Battery and attempted to hand pick the freshest date, well the Tire Shop Nazi (company man) Manager came running over and told me I need to grab the oldest one! there was only a 1 Month difference between the oldest and the others in stock. The warranty went from 42M to 36M! I could not believe it, these corporate cronies are programmed to bow down to the shareholders. I figured he won employee of the month for this.

Most people did not have a clue, even the tire shop employees what the numbers on the tires were for back then.

I will call this bogus. Been a Costco member since 1984 and before that I worked at it's predecessor - Fedmart. No employee would do that. Same as picking freshest milk, produce, bread, etc, or anything with a date. Report it if it really happened.

Quite ironic that you exchange 6 - 8 month older tires for newer dates but complain about being sold 1 month older battery.

There were reports of Costco customers returning dead Christmas trees for refunds in January. Typical entitlement BS.

Because it's a crime to put a different set of tires on a car?

To my knowledge, RFID chips still aren't used in tires. The last I heard was that RFID chips couldn't make it through the curing process reliably enough for general use. In its place are bar codes - and even then, those don't work as well as they should.

Unless I got a tremendous discount I would be [censored]. If you paid by credit card and weren't informed you were buying 4 year old tires call and inform the CC company. Tell them tires are impacted by age and dispute the charges. I bet you get a quick resolution should the seller try and jerk you around.

Originally Posted by CapriRacer

To my knowledge, RFID chips still aren't used in tires. The last I heard was that RFID chips couldn't make it through the curing process reliably enough for general use. In its place are bar codes - and even then, those don't work as well as they should.

The only time I have heard of chips in tires are on race ones. IMSA has scanners on pit exit to determine what set a car is on to track them.

Dealer called back this morning, they are going to switch out the tires next week- they located a set from production year 2017. I was hoping to find something within the past year, but it appears from the comments here this would be acceptable. The dealer mentioned my tire size was not that common, and if I get the Weatheready as a replacement, it might be from 2017 as well. I only put 3000-5000 miles a year on the car, so it should last for 5 years at least.

I bought tires locally and online. If buying locally - check the manuf date before paying and taking them with you. If online - make sure it's a newer model and buying from a reputable outfit where you can send tires back at no cost in case there is an issue.
I get tires mounted and balanced at an independent shop due to return customer discount rate no other shops can beat.

edit:

So, recently bought General G-Max AS-05 for Forte from 4tires and they were made in 5018, very happy with price and shopping experience.
Also bought Sumitomo HTR Encounter HT from Amazon . com for Sportage and getting them delivered today, will pick them up at later date (in USA), very good price, $10/tire better than tirerack and free shipping, sold by amazon.

Last edited:
Dealer called back this morning, they are going to switch out the tires next week-

Wonder what will happen to those tires. Can't be sold as new. Too much liability to sell used. Wasteful to scrap. Export? Wholesale to used tire dealers?

Dealer called back this morning, they are going to switch out the tires next week- they located a set from production year 2017. I was hoping to find something within the past year, but it appears from the comments here this would be acceptable. The dealer mentioned my tire size was not that common, and if I get the Weatheready as a replacement, it might be from 2017 as well. I only put 3000-5000 miles a year on the car, so it should last for 5 years at least.

TireRack offers 45 tires for your Lexus 225/70/16 which is in contrast to my 245/50/20 tire size and only 40 tire choices.

Last edited:
The dealer mentioned my tire size was not that common...

Hmmmm, Discount Tire lists (67) tires in that size and the store nearest me as (30) in stock. Of those (30), only two were off-brands (to me). The others were Pirelli, Michelin, Cooper, and so on. I'm afraid your tire dealer is just making up excuses...

You could also consider 235/65-16. It might give you more choices and the 10mm wider will be no concern, the other dimensions are inconsequential, and speedo difference is 1 mph slower up to 70 mph (1.2 mph at 80 and 1.3 at 90 if those speeds are a concern for you).

Originally Posted by atikovi
Dealer called back this morning, they are going to switch out the tires next week-

Wonder what will happen to those tires. Can't be sold as new. Too much liability to sell used. Wasteful to scrap. Export? Wholesale to used tire dealers?

Likely that the tires will either be returned to the manufacturer for credit or sold as used. I don't understand your comment about liability. Used tires are sold all the time and there doesn't seem to be a liability problem with those.

Earlier this week, I ordered 2 Continental tires from a local Discount Tire. They sourced them from some local warehouse/distributor and got them in within a day. I went in for install this morning. Upon install, I noticed they were more than two years old. I should have checked date codes prior to install. Anyway, not a huge deal. I would have accepted them if DT would give me a discount, but they wouldn't. Instead, they're ordering me two new ones. Let's see how new these 'new' ones are.

Originally Posted by user52165
I Back in the Day, I would buy tires at Costco on sale before I needed them. Stack them in my Garage for 6m to 8m , return them back to the tire shop and hand pick fresh DOTs. The Costco Tire shop employees did not have a problem with this. Things have changed at Costco now, I recently Bought a Battery and attempted to hand pick the freshest date, well the Tire Shop Nazi (company man) Manager came running over and told me I need to grab the oldest one! there was only a 1 Month difference between the oldest and the others in stock. The warranty went from 42M to 36M! I could not believe it, these corporate cronies are programmed to bow down to the shareholders. I figured he won employee of the month for this.

Most people did not have a clue, even the tire shop employees what the numbers on the tires were for back then.

Quite ironic that you exchange 6 - 8 month older tires for newer dates but complain about being sold 1 month older battery.

Originally Posted by OnTheRocks

Humm? So you are happy that the Manager wanted for me to buy the "old Product" battery and upset that someone had to buy "old product" tires?

You're the reason why people are buying "old product" tires.

6-9 month aint worth the bad karma especially since you made the conscious decision to purchase the tires at your convinience.
As for the battery one month isnt worth getting bent on. Most battery warranties start when YOU purchase it. A battery will also typically fail from Manufaturing defect within 18 months if used regularly. If you buy a battery with over a 24 month warranty you are usually paying more for it. I have purchased 12 batteries in the last 8 years all for different vehicles. ALL with 18 month warranties. None have gone bad prematurely. Now if you buy the battery and its for some rarely driven vehicle and you let it rot by letting it over discharge. That is not a factory defect it's neglect.

I've said this before, but the common belief within the tire industry is that even 6 year old, properly stored tires can be sold as "NEW" I say "belief" because I know of no data that supports this (I know of no data the contradicts this, either). But I do know data exists that supports a 3 year value - that is the company I worked for had data the showed no difference between properly stored 3 year old tires and freshly manufactured ones.

You may ask how does one know if the tires are properly stored? One doesn't except to say, the only place I have heard where tires were not properly stored was at the retail end and tires being stored in containers by less than reputable wholesalers. My conclusion was that buying a name brand tire from a reputable dealer would very likely result in a properly stored tire.

Lastly, I think if you have a concern about the age of the tires you are going to purchase, state it up front. If you are willing to accept tires older than - say - 3 years if a discount is offered, state that up front as well.

Originally Posted by CapriRacer
I've said this before, but the common belief within the tire industry is that even 6 year old, properly stored tires can be sold as "NEW" I say "belief" because I know of no data that supports this (I know of no data the contradicts this, either).

Is it the same industry that also advises to replace tires as early as after 6 years from date of manufacture if you live in a warmer climate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back