Mobil 1 market share?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What percentage of the domestic market does M1 get compared to other brands? I believe that the majority of consumers will reach for Mobil 1 if they are looking for a synthetic oil. Does anybody have any concrete figures?

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
What percentage of the domestic market does M1 get compared to other brands? I believe that the majority of consumers will reach for Mobil 1 if they are looking for a synthetic oil. Does anybody have any concrete figures?

Roughly 14% of the American motor oil market is synthetic motor oil. Of that, Mobil 1 is over 60%, between 63-66%.

That's based on the last thing I saw, which was a Mobil 1 press release in '04 on the 30th Anniversary of Mobil 1.

Mickey_M,

Does the industry measure market share on a dollar basis (typical for most industries) or on a unit basis (e.g., # of quarts)?

If it's on a dollar basis, we can infer that synthetics on a quart basis is probably more in the range of 3%-4% (assuming syns cost 3x-4x dino) of all oil consumed. Does that sound about right? I bet if we survey BITOG members, that percentage is probably an order of magnitude larger.

Thanks everyone.
smile.gif

That's quite the resurrection there, Buster.
wink.gif
I don't know if it's changed, but I'd be curious. To my knowledge, the number one synthetic in Canada has been Castrol for a number of years, but that's Wakefield's aggressive marketing. Just about every independent shop uses it, not to mention several dealers whose parent OEMs' factory fills and service fills have nothing to do with Castrol.

Well if Mobil 1 doesn't have a strong market share, then given the level of advertising, sponsorships, and other stuff that Mobil does, then Mobil is wasting a lot of money and not getting a serious return on investment.

I'm going to lock the 14 year old topic. Perhaps create a new topic asking your question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back