Longest Lasting 1/2 Ton Pickup Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use 4LO all the time at the boat ramp.

Looks like the Tundra with the 5.7 might actually be the best new truck to buy right now.

Originally Posted by Cujet
A 3.5L Ecoboost with regular oil changes will reach nearly 400K miles without difficulty. The aluminum body is much more corrosion resistant than steel. It's also possible to STOP aluminum corrosion, where it is often not possible to stop rust.

My suggestion is to purchase the truck you like the most, and are most comfortable in. That way, you like driving it for all those miles. As all of the trucks will achieve high miles with regular service.

I find blanket statements like this nonsensical.

Buy a Ford
There's a good reason why they sell more trucks than any other brand for the last 40 years. Yeah your gonna hear from the Ford haters, but you can't be the number 1 truck maker for 40 years and make a bad product can ya.... No you can't
So come on over to the Blue Oval side
You'll be glad you did !!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Buy a Ford
There's a good reason why they sell more trucks than any other brand for the last 40 years. Yeah your gonna hear from the Ford haters, but you can't be the number 1 truck maker for 40 years and make a bad product can ya.... No you can't

lol.gif
......Is that all you got? I think Ford makes a good truck as well but your statement is ridiculous. Sounds like a sales ad.......

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Buy a Ford

lol.gif
......Is that all you got? I think Ford makes a good truck as well but your statement is ridiculous. Sounds like a sales ad.......

What else you want SA ???

Last edited:
I've seen all of the Big 3 trucks in similar service over the years, and here are my observations, stock and modified:

Ram: they are definitely chasing flashy and modern but seem to have more quality concerns than C or F.

Chevy/GMC: like was stated before, cylinder deac is a PITA and the trucks ride EXTREMELY poorly when unloaded over rough pavement, especially in turns. When using a half-ton for pulling its rated weight, my buddy's Chevy quickly deteriorated in the front end and felt floaty/disconnected even with less than 50k miles. GMC definitely upscale when optioned, but you will pay dearly for "professional grade".

Ford: well, let's just put it this way: Ford does not always make the flashiest trucks, and sometimes the interiors lag behind its contemporaries, but when it comes down to hard work the Fords just seem to deliver without complaint nor many "serious" mechanical issues. The last two generations of F150 will do anything you need, day in and out, and stay solid. I've driven the 2.7 crew cab 4x4 which I timed out at 5.6 seconds 0-60, and several EB 3.5s and a 3.7. Other than the 3.7, the EBs have the feel, responsiveness and power of either Ram or the General's V8 offerings. Upscale trims are about as nice as you could ask for, and if you're looking for a stripped work truck they're likely the best bang for the buck. My doctor friend is on his 4th consecutive F150 since 2014 (he buys/sells frequently around tax season) and has said he won't buy anything different.

As a final note, I'm out in farm country, where guys don't stick with things that don't work as hard as they do. I'd put money on it that nearly 70%+ of all the trucks in this county are F-series, with the remaining 20% General and 10% Ram.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
My doctor friend is on his 4th consecutive F150 since 2014 (he buys/sells frequently around tax season) and has said he won't buy anything different. .

4 trucks in 5 years doesn't seem like a good test of longevity.
21.gif

I see a pretty even mix of them around here. Lately I have been seeing a lot more of the newer Ridgelines though.

GM (Chevy and GMC combined, they are the same truck anyway) actually sells as many half-tons as Ford.

Originally Posted by wag123
You don't need 4WD low range unless you are pulling stumps out of the ground or off-roading in rugged terrain, rock climbing, loose sand, or mud holes. I never used the low range during the entire time that I had mine.

If you don't do any of those things you can skip the 4WD too. Low range is nice to have. I can't believe new trucks don't have this feature that's been standard for decades.

My 14 RAM is anything but flashy. Not a speck of chrome anywhere except the RAM ornament on the tailgate. I've owned many many Silverados and just rented a brand new Egobooster 3.5 Ford for weeks. Neither comes close in comfort or covenience, and a nice 5.7 Hemi delivers 395 very civilized hp in a way the ecoboost never can. Gets great mileage, too, while riding like a luxury car.

Ramboxes were the icing on our cake as they increased the utility of our family truck tremendously. For what we do (tow a small boat, haul some weird stuff like a door for a project car, or load up everyone for a day on the boat) it is a superb truck.

Everyone else can buy what they want, we love our RAM...

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
My 14 RAM is anything but flashy. Not a speck of chrome anywhere except the RAM ornament on the tailgate. I've owned many many Silverados and just rented a brand new Egobooster 3.5 Ford for weeks. Neither comes close in comfort or covenience, and a nice 5.7 Hemi delivers 395 very civilized hp in a way the ecoboost never can. Gets great mileage, too, while riding like a luxury car.

Ramboxes were the icing on our cake as they increased the utility of our family truck tremendously. For what we do (tow a small boat, haul some weird stuff like a door for a project car, or load up everyone for a day on the boat) it is a superb truck.

The Ford 3.5 Ecoboost you rented must of had a broke crankshaft. An Ecoboost pulls like a diesel. I've watched lots of Ecoboost vs ram vs Chevy videos don't recall an Ecoboost getting out run by a Hemi. Maybe there's one I missed 🤔

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
I think he's talking about normal driving power availability and not ability to win races.

Normal driving power is absolutely the main plus of an Ecoboost
The bottom end tq for lazy traffic and top end power make that engine amazing to drive.
I owned and drove an Ecoboost for 120,000 miles
It's an amazing engine combination for every day driving no matter what the situation

Last edited:
BTW my vote is for 2002-2006/7 gm with a 4.8 or 5.3. Our experience with our work trucks and other friends trucks is that they're very reliable besides some annoying problems that didn't "need" to be fixed or just didn't cost much money. Nothing major went wrong with ours and nothing stranded me so far. Knock on wood. Almost 200k miles and 8000 engine hours.

The Ford 3.5 Ecoboost you rented must of had a broke crankshaft. An Ecoboost pulls like a diesel. I've watched lots of Ecoboost vs ram vs Chevy videos don't recall an Ecoboost getting out run by a Hemi. Maybe there's one I missed 🤔

Or maybe actually driving the vehicles in question, instead of forming opinions based solely from watching videos, might give someone a different perspective.

Originally Posted by wag123
GM (Chevy and GMC combined, they are the same truck anyway) actually sells as many half-tons as Ford.

As a SIlverado owner I can tell you that the Ford F-150 is in the lead (most months) even when you combine the GMC/Chevrolet half-tons. Chevrolet is in BIG TROUBLE with the 2019 Silverado redesign.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 02SE

Or maybe actually driving the vehicles in question, instead of forming opinions based solely from watching videos, might give someone a different perspective.

Apparently you didn't read above your last post of what I said
I've owned an Ecoboost have you ???

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 02SE

Apparently you didn't read above your last post of what I said
I've owned an Ecoboost have you ???

Apparently you didn't read what 'SteveSRT8' said...

Apparently I did since I made a reply
I'm stating my experience as an Ecoboost owner and having driven one everyday for 120,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back