Water filter pitcher?

Last thread we had on this is from 2013, so I figured I'd start a new one.

Assuming you're looking for a 10-12 cup pitcher-type water filter, primarily to remove bad taste (chlorine) and calcium from tap water, what's a good one?

Just started looking into them and the number of options out there is staggering, and if you read Amazon reviews, they all have their fair share of negative comments. Not looking for a tap mounted or fridge mounted filter or RO.

Thanks!

We had a Brita pitcher for a number of years that wasn't too great... the lid always fell off and dumped the filter out, and it left carbon in the water consistently (through dozens of filters).
Now we have a fridge-mounted Brita dispenser that's much better. Much less messy. I'd go that route!

We seem to change ours every couple years. Something better comes along, or wife wants something different. We had a pitcher version which I really liked, but it developed a slow leak. Wife just replaced it with one that must hold two gallons and has a little spigot. She likes that one. Me, I liked the pitcher as it was easier to make coffee.

Which is my way of saying, try one, chances are, you'll replace it before long anyhow.

We used and liked the Brita pitcher...then the larger box style (same filter cartridge)....then I found a PUR box style at a garage sale. It was larger and filled its place on the shelf better. The PUR cartridge is larger. We like it.

The ubiquitous Bed, Bath and Beyond 20% OFF coupons make 'em even more affordable. We like it. I believe the effectiveness of such filters is limited but we like the improvement in taste. Fortunately, our local water isn't too bad to begin with.

They are more trouble than they are worth IMO. The fridge ones are the best but the filters are (were) very pricey. My parents got a Samsung fridge that has an unfiltered water dispenser that I assume is marketed towards people who hate expensive consumables.

The pitchers are nice because the water is so cold and refreshing. The faucet mounted ones are much more convenient, that's what I would run. They seemed to be really popular around 2013 but I haven't seen one in a while.

We have a Pur. Since the fridge has a filter on the in-door water and ice, we only use the pitcher now to fill the coffee maker each night for the next day's programmed brew.

We've got one of these....
https://www.bunnings.com.au/stefani-5l-terracotta-water-purifier_p5093652
the elements also have a silver element in them for bugs.

we have a small rainwater tank out the back that we run through it for drinking.

It's really very good...cartridges build up some debris after 6-8 weeks, and you take a (new) discloth and wipe the element...at that point you need to do it two weekly, or take it out and wash it...maintaining it thus, it runs for about 4-6 months per ($22) element....if you replaced it every time it slowed, it would be monthly, but they do have cleaning instructions on the element leaflet.

Originally Posted by Kira
..then I found a PUR box style at a garage sale. It was larger and filled its place on the shelf better. The PUR cartridge is larger. We like it.

That's the same one I have.

However, I don't like the filtered water from the tap by itself - I pour filtered water from the ice maker into it.

You have to hit the local lake water with "both barrels" to get rid of the weird "dead algae" taste.

LOL!!! : https://texags.com/forums/45/topics/1356777

Granted, the city is making improvements to the system. I will give them that.

What about heavy metals and Arsenic? Your local water supplier should have a monthly report available. I believe it's Federal Law.....I could be mistaken. Every city is different.

no water pitcher will remove dissolved minerals.

You need RO or distiller for that.

Originally Posted by Onetor
What about heavy metals and Arsenic? Your local water supplier should have a monthly report available. I believe it's Federal Law.....I could be mistaken. Every city is different.

It's an annual report, at least for my area. The 2018 report did not show any red flags.

Community group here picked up thallium...local govt stated that there's no requirement to test for Thallium in drinking water, so they neither tested nor reported it.

Ditched our Brita almost a decade ago in favour for an RO system. Filters are cheap and the RO membrane I get 5 years out of before it needs replacement.
We pull a lot of water through the system for cooking / drinking.

I would never go back to a Brita again as the taste is superior with RO, my in-laws continue to use Brita and I can taste the difference. It's awful in comparison.

I have my tank for the RO unit in the basement so the water stays fairly cool which is enough for us not to need to refrigerate it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
I would never go back to a Brita again as the taste is superior with RO, my in-laws continue to use Brita and I can taste the difference. It's awful in comparison.

Yeah, I've been reading various blind taste test comparisons where people typically prefer the taste out of ZeroWater as opposed to Brita. Alas, the Zero filters are more expensive.

I found a 12-cup Zero pitcher at my local Bed&Bath. After coupons, it was $15, so I bought it. Haven't tried it yet.

I'll eventually get an RO system when we move into our next house.

We've been drinking purified drinking water for the past few years. Both my wife and I like the taste, but the price is now up to $1.20 per gallon, plus the effort of having to haul all these jugs from the store. Curious to see how Zero compares to it in taste.

Thanks everyone.

zero water is worth the premium over brita it drains real slow as a result but is the best alternative to buying jugs
or getting a plumber

Originally Posted by jc1112
or getting a plumber

???
I installed 4 countertop (Sears, generic HomeDepot, Amway, Aquasana) water filter systems over the years. And I'm a geek with glasses.
(I'm going to assume hole in countertop/sink exists already)
You just need to:
open door to undersink cabinet
close cold water valve under sink
disassemble hose to faucet (need adjustable whench)
snake filter system hose from top
place filters enclosure under sink somewhere flat (containing the filters)
add Tee
insert push connect
assemble hose to faucet
open cold water valve
open system valve to "prime" the system (1-2 gallons)
close door to undersink cabinet
Enjoy

Back