Tire dealer sold me 4 year old tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought new tires for a 2002 Lexus Rx300 (225/70/16) at one of the local shops here in Nebraska- Goodyear Assurance Comfortreads. After I left the shop, I noticed the date code on the tires was 5014. I called them back and told them I was dissatisfied the tires were over 4 years old. The salesman was going to check with his bosses to see what they can do, and I'm hoping they will make amends. I was going to insist on tires made within the past year or a substantial credit. Anything else I should request for them to make it right? The salesman said the tires were stored in the warehouse and the manufacturers warranty would be good for 6 years but I'm not sure that's right. What also makes this very disappointing was this is a Goodyear dealer I bought from, not some back alley mechanic shop.

Last edited:
PEOPLE ALSO ASK
Is there a law against selling old tires?
There are no laws or regulations prohibiting the sale of tires manufactured more than six years ago, but both safety experts and many vehicle manufacturers recommend against using any tire older than six years. The results, they say, can be catastrophic.
Investigation reveals aged tires being sold as new | ABC7 San ...
https://abc7news.com › archive

Managing tire date code is a nightmare situation for many local tire shops. From my experience there is no adequate database that assists them in moving old stock out while new stock is coming in.

As a side note, I had TireRack send a new RT43 tire to the installer and the customer invoice said that they recorded tire DOT date number. I called with my purchase order number and they said the date code was 1219. Wow...this is week 21. That is a fresh 9 week old ‘bambino'.

I know TireRack moves a lot of stock.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Patrick0525
Managing tire date code is a nightmare situation for many local tire shops. From my experience there is no adequate database that assists them in moving old stock out while new stock is coming in.

A database ? No database is necessary, just "stock" the tires in the storage areas in a suitable order. That is, don't continually put the new tires on top of the old ones.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

A database ? No database is necessary, just "stock" the tires in the storage areas in a suitable order. That is, don't continually put the new tires on top of the old ones.

Try telling that to the $8.00/hour tech that's gotta stack them...

Originally Posted by Propflux01

In the NE, no one wants to stack tires for $8/hr when they
can work at Chick-Fillet for $10++ and not break a sweat in a HVAC controlled environment. The best part. There is no tire smell.

can work at Chick-Fillet for $10++ and not break a sweat in a HVAC controlled environment. The best part. There is no tire smell.

Min wage goes up to $13 around here in July. No wonder lunch at a fast casual is over $12.

Tire techs are entry level mechanics, fast food is a dead end job. Tire techs can eventually gain experience and become skilled tradesmen if they are dedicated, fast food employees have to kiss mucho [censored] if they ever want to so much as sniff a management position.

How are BITOGers getting sold old tires? This is the second thread about this in as many months. C'mon boys, you're making us look bad!

What a Crock, Tires have RFID chips installed, it would be very easy to track the DOT Codes. That is how the FBI, DEA, catch people, when the tire does not match the car.

Back in the Day, I would buy tires at Costco on sale before I needed them. Stack them in my Garage for 6m to 8m , return them back to the tire shop and hand pick fresh DOTs. The Costco Tire shop employees did not have a problem with this. Things have changed at Costco now, I recently Bought a Battery and attempted to hand pick the freshest date, well the Tire Shop Nazi (company man) Manager came running over and told me I need to grab the oldest one! there was only a 1 Month difference between the oldest and the others in stock. The warranty went from 42M to 36M! I could not believe it, these corporate cronies are programmed to bow down to the shareholders. I figured he won employee of the month for this.

Most people did not have a clue, even the tire shop employees what the numbers on the tires were for back then.

Last edited:
When you buy a tire model that has been out for a while, in this case, 9 years and still producing, it's easy for a shop to have older tires around.

Buy a relatively new tire model and you won't have this issue, for example for a little more money, you could of gotten set of WeatherReady tires that won't be that old.

Originally Posted by zmelli
Back in the Day, I would buy tires at Costco on sale before I needed them. Stack them in my Garage for 6m to 8m , return them back to the tire shop and hand pick fresh DOTs. The Costco Tire shop employees did not have a problem with this. Things have changed at Costco now, I recently Bought a Battery and attempted to hand pick the freshest date, well the Tire Shop Nazi (company man) Manager came running over and told me I need to grab the oldest one! there was only a 1 Month difference between the oldest and the others in stock. The warranty went from 42M to 36M! I could not believe it, these corporate cronies are programmed to bow down to the shareholders. I figured he won employee of the month for this.

Most people did not have a clue, even the tire shop employees what the numbers on the tires were for back then.

Let me see. I bought a product (tires) and then when they got "older" I took them back so someone else could by my "old product" and exchanged them for new product.

I am glad the CostCo Tire Dept. Manager told you what battery he was going to sell you. I have heard stories form reputable sources about how people stuff cardboard in wide-screen TV boxes and return the box to CostCo.-for a "refund".

If you don't like my reply I hear the "ignore user" works well on here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN

Let me see. I bought a product (tires) and then when they got "older" I took them back so someone else could by my "old product" and exchanged them for new product.

I am glad the CostCo Tire Dept. Manager told you what battery he was going to sell you. I have heard stories form reputable sources about how people stuff cardboard in wide-screen TV boxes and return the box to CostCo.-for a "refund".

If you don't like my reply I hear the "ignore user" works well on here.

Humm? So you are happy that the Manager wanted for me to buy the "old Product" battery and upset that someone had to buy "old product" tires?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UG_Passat
When you buy a tire model that has been out for a while, in this case, 9 years and still producing, it's easy for a shop to have older tires around.

Buy a relatively new tire model and you won't have this issue, for example for a little more money, you could of gotten set of WeatherReady tires that won't be that old.

Good point, I am currently shopping for a set and was going to buy on-line. I have asked many vendors about DOT dates, I always get the same response "up to 4years old"

I bought some 4 y.o. tires and am happy as could be! At $80 each it's less than half any other decent summer performance tire.

On the battery dates...two years ago I bought a battery from WM in October with a Nov. date code of that year. Wasn't that swell? Time travel?

I Back in the Day, I would buy tires at Costco on sale before I needed them. Stack them in my Garage for 6m to 8m , return them back to the tire shop and hand pick fresh DOTs. The Costco Tire shop employees did not have a problem with this. Things have changed at Costco now, I recently Bought a Battery and attempted to hand pick the freshest date, well the Tire Shop Nazi (company man) Manager came running over and told me I need to grab the oldest one! there was only a 1 Month difference between the oldest and the others in stock. The warranty went from 42M to 36M! I could not believe it, these corporate cronies are programmed to bow down to the shareholders. I figured he won employee of the month for this.

I will call this bogus. Been a Costco member since 1984 and before that I worked at it's predecessor - Fedmart. No employee would do that. Same as picking freshest milk, produce, bread, etc, or anything with a date. Report it if it really happened.

Quite ironic that you exchange 6 - 8 month older tires for newer dates but complain about being sold 1 month older battery.

Last edited:
What a Crock, Tires have RFID chips installed, it would be very easy to track the DOT Codes. That is how the FBI, DEA, catch people, when the tire does not match the car.

The DEA and FBI enforce tire sizing?
wink.gif

Humm? So you are happy that the Manager wanted for me to buy the "old Product" battery and upset that someone had to buy "old product" tires?

You're the reason why people are buying "old product" tires.

50.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back