Someone smoked in my company truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Pew
Just bring it up politely, like "hey, do you know if anybody smoked in the car? I just got an operation on my eye and the truck irritates it."

+1

Originally Posted by Cujet
It's probably my boss who did it. Calling him on it will start a defensive excrement storm of epic proportions, followed by personal attacks. But I'm doing it anyway.

The more I think of it, he probably used the truck on personal business, probably to pick up a girlfriend while away from his wife. They probably spent the week smoking in it. Then left it as described.

Nobody else has a way to get into the truck or the keys to it.

Not likely to be a homeless person, as it's parked inside a fenced and gated lot at the FBO. Although one could get in the lot, it's not probable.

I would play dumb - "Hey boss, someone broke into my truck and took it for a joy ride. The bumper's all messed up so how do we submit an insurance claim? Oh, and whoever did this smoked in the truck and left it in horrible shape. I've called the police to have them investigate."

Originally Posted by Pew
Just bring it up politely, like "hey, do you know if anybody smoked in the car? I just got an operation on my eye and the truck irritates it."

+2

Be nice about it, state why its a bother to you, and leave it at that.

We are gradually getting rid of smoking in society. Have hope!
[Linked Image]

Does the "boss" own the company? Is he really a manager? If that is the case, he has to expense the damage, and it ends up on an audit to the people upstairs.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
Bosses usually are granted immunity for these sort of activities. Workers generally only have two options, either grin and bear it or look for other employment.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would not mention this displeasure to my boss. I would simply ask him for overtime to either clean it, or get it cleaned.
Don't be shocked if he says to keep it as-is..... or he asks it be cleaned ASAP.... on your regular work hours.

LOL sadly I don't think there is nothing you can do or want to do about this if he's the "boss"!

I grew up in a house full of chain smokers, nastiest, most disgusting habit there is. My dad to this day doesn't get to have my kids over because he refuses to smoke outside when they are around. He even gives me grief about letting them ride in the car with him. Smokers a usually the most inconsiderate people and I get so sick of seeing butts flying out of car windows especially when it hasn't rained here in months and fire hazards are very high.

I can't get over the number of college kids who smoke cigarettes. Pot smoking I could see, but on one of the college campuses I support there are always people smoking. Nothing like seeing a cute 20 something girl walk by as she lights up a cigarette,
sick.gif

U
Originally Posted by JLTD
It's probably my boss who did it. Calling him on it will start a defensive excrement storm of epic proportions, followed by personal attacks. But I'm doing it anyway.

The more I think of it, he probably used the truck on personal business, probably to pick up a girlfriend while away from his wife. They probably spent the week smoking in it. Then left it as described.

Nobody else has a way to get into the truck or the keys to it.

Not likely to be a homeless person, as it's parked inside a fenced and gated lot at the FBO. Although one could get in the lot, it's not probable.

I would play dumb - "Hey boss, someone broke into my truck and took it for a joy ride. The bumper's all messed up so how do we submit an insurance claim? Oh, and whoever did this smoked in the truck and left it in horrible shape. I've called the police to have them investigate."

I would report it, especially the torn up bumper-OR-I'll give you ONE GUESS as to who will get the blame for the damage when it is lease returned or sold. I know our leasing company levies a hefty charge if they can detect that someone smoked in a lease return!!

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
I can't get over the number of college kids who smoke cigarettes.
Originally Posted by racin4ds
Smokers a usually the most inconsiderate people
Nicotine addiction explains most of it. And of course, the psychology of being "edgy" and a "rebel" in young people's minds.

Actually, have you ever tried nicotine patches or the gum? I did it once because a doctor said try it to get inflammation down in a knee -- long story, didn't work, long shot --- and the nicotine high is nice.

Jessica Simpson, about ten years ago, famously said to Jay Leno: " "I am addicted to Nicorette gum. … Never in my life have I smoked.

"The first time I ever chewed a piece of Nicorette gum one of my close friends' mother gave it to me. I think she thought she was giving me a piece of regular gum.

"I was chewing it and it was like a party in my mouth. It was like fireworks and ‘Oh my God, I'm talking a million miles per hour and I love this gum and what kind of gum is this? I have to have this gum!'

"It's Nicorette and it gives me energy — it's like drinking three Red Bulls (energy drinks).
'"

Raise enough fuss to get fired then you won't have to drive it any more.

I do see your side of it and you shouldn't have to put up with that stink if you're not a smoker but it is what it is.

You could try being politically correct about it and just suggest to the boss that the truck is due to have the interior professionally cleaned, if nothing else make the argument that this keeps its resale value higher.

It is just inconsiderate. Smoke outside if you must or in your own car.
it will eventually hurt resale. Ashes, stink and possible burn holes.

I know here at the Navy base we run GSA vehicles, and damage done to them comes out of the OPTAR (basically budget) of the command who
is using the vehicle. I think that is a good idea as it forces the people using it to keep it clean and not mess them up.

Great suggestions all! Thanks.

I'll try the spray and have it detailed. A no smoking placard is going to be installed.

The truck is in large measure, my company truck. I work on aircraft and the truck exists to support that. There is nobody else in my Dept. The pilot took the truck, unannounced, while visiting the FL area on personal business. He lives in PA.

Both of us work for a wealthy guy.

Who has access to the vehicle keys? Most companies keep track of who drives their vehicles. Tell your boss you think some unknown individual managed to use the truck and damaged the front bumper. Maybe suggest file a report with law enforcement. If boss is the one, you will probably hear something like let's just forget it. Maybe use your own vehicle.

Last edited:
This is an ongoing issue at my job.

We had one guy who set fire to a box in the back of the truck he was driving after flicking a lit butt out of the window. After that, he just put them out on the floor. Eventually the whole floor was covered. That led to an official ban on smoking in the trucks.

Then there was the dip incident. Not sure what exactly happened, but the top of the dash on our 13 Silverado got covered in Copenhagen spit to the point it was running down the sides of the dash. Cup holders also had spit in them. It was bad.

Originally Posted by Trav
Unless I owned it and someone I let use it did the dirty deed I would keep quiet about it.

And when the OP gets blamed for the smoke and bumper damage a month later, the boss is going to ask why he didn't report it if he didn't do it.

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
I am guessing that this isn't "your" company truck. I have a Company truck and am the only one with the keys to said truck. Nobody drives it but me.

Same here. I have a new company Equinox and nobody drives it but me.

I would NOT call out boss on his rude and inconsiderate actions.

If you don't actually 'own' the truck...not much you can do. It's not 'yours' to control.

If it is for 'general' use as a company tool, its not really your business to make sure it is taken care of.

Now, if it is a perk of the job that you 'get' a company truck that is yours, different story.

I'd just report the damages, express shock, and tell the boss that you are committed to making sure that "whoever did this" should be disciplined.

No skin off your nose, and if it was him, he's embarrassed without you having to face any blow back. You're just concerned for his property, and are 100% doing the right thing.

Definitely don't stay completely silent. That can come back to haunt you.

Our flight department has a really nice, F150 XLT Super Crew truck for company use. As there are just two of us in the flight department, and NOBODY had any company business in Florida lately, I really have to wonder.... I arrive last night, and it positively reeks of cigarettes. I'm not talking about just a little either, ashes all over the seat and so on. I've not used it in two weeks, as I've been out of town. I'm recovering from a major eye infection and ashes are blowing in my eye when I get in.

How incredibly inconsiderate. Not to mention, I find the truck unlocked, gas tank not full and part of the front bumper missing.

It's never been smoked in before!

Insert angry curse words here......

So, any suggestions? I'm tempted to fill the truck with soap and water and pressure wash the interior. Then leave it wet, close the doors and so on and park it in it's normal spot.

Terminate the employee on sight. (From work)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back