dealer short me half quart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by MetalSlug
the dipstick show half full mark, usually it show full mark after oil change,

So what you're saying is, it's got a perfectly acceptable amount of oil in it ?

Exactly! When I do my own oil changes if it's between half and full that's good enough. In my younger years I used to worry about these things...

At least it not overfilled. What kinda of car/engine? My 2018 Mazda CX-5 2.5 takes 4.5 liters/4.8 qts. First oil change I take to dealer he overfills. Next change I do myself I measure 4.5 liters. Stick reads little over 1/2 qt. low. Other Mazda owners experience the same. As long as between the marks don't freak out.

Originally Posted by Randy_R
My 2018 Mazda CX-5 2.5 takes 4.5 liters/4.8 qts.

I measure 4.5 liters. Stick reads little over 1/2 qt. low.

I would just use the 5 quart jug. You want to save 0.2 quart of oil for a rainy day?

One of the dumbest things I read online was a guy who used a Dremel tool to add more marks to his dipstick. Made him feel better about overfilled engine. Guy figured that since motor burns 1 quart between oil change, he could start with 1 quart extra.

My work truck had me going 2018 f350 6.2L, i checked the oil and it was way low. Called the bossman and let him know he told me to take it back to the dealer. Checked again about 20 minutes later and it was in middle of the add/full mark. Got to reading and they are saying to let sit at least 15 minutes before checking..... so, have i been doing this wrong this whole time? Seems expensive just to poke around for 15 minutes waiting to check the oil.

Originally Posted by GaryPoe
My work truck had me going 2018 f350 6.2L, i checked the oil and it was way low. Called the bossman and let him know he told me to take it back to the dealer. Checked again about 20 minutes later and it was in middle of the add/full mark. Got to reading and they are saying to let sit at least 15 minutes before checking..... so, have i been doing this wrong this whole time? Seems expensive just to poke around for 15 minutes waiting to check the oil.
It's better to get it hot, & then let it sit 15-20 minutes-the Transit in my sig is the same way, it'll read low otherwise.

they are saying to let sit at least 15 minutes before checking.....

Seems expensive just to poke around for 15 minutes waiting to check the oil.

Oil needs time to settle back down to the pan. I check mine in the morning, after it has had all night to settle.

The old scam at the service station was to check your oil. You just turned off the engine. Oil has not settled. Dipstick will always show a little low. Then they get you with the quart of overpriced oil.

I'd top it off myself and call it a day. If you go back to the dealer they'll have the lube tech walk out to your car with a quart, dump the whole thing in then you'll be a half quart overfilled. Don't tempt fate.

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
A lot of the new cars have engine pans spec for metric liters.

I'd venture to say that all production made vehicles today are designed in metric units, including 'murican trucks. When it comes to fluid capacity, rounding up or down to familiar values won't do one bit of harm. Oil and ATF dipsticks don't have single marks on them, they have ranges that are acceptable. Power steering fluid, brake fluid, and coolant overflow reservoirs have MIN and MAX lines.

Originally Posted by OnTheRocks

Oil needs time to settle back down to the pan. I check mine in the morning, after it has had all night to settle.

The old scam at the service station was to check your oil. You just turned off the engine. Oil has not settled. Dipstick will always show a little low. Then they get you with the quart of overpriced oil.

Common sense 🤔 Right ?
That's hard to find sometime !!ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by kstanf150

Common sense 🤔 Right ?

That^^^^OR this is the obligatory "Dealer thread bash of the week". It gets tiring after a while.......

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
My 2018 Mazda CX-5 2.5 takes 4.5 liters/4.8 qts.

I measure 4.5 liters. Stick reads little over 1/2 qt. low.

I would just use the 5 quart jug. You want to save 0.2 quart of oil for a rainy day?

One of the dumbest things I read online was a guy who used a Dremel tool to add more marks to his dipstick. Made him feel better about overfilled engine. Guy figured that since motor burns 1 quart between oil change, he could start with 1 quart extra.

I did use the rest of the 5 qt. jug and it still not to the max line. Makes me wonder how much the dealer poured in. That was the only OC I didn't do myself in 30-35 years. I didn't know where to place the floor jack. I bought ramps.

Originally Posted by CKN

Common sense 🤔 Right ?

That^^^^OR this is the obligatory "Dealer thread bash of the week". It gets tiring after a while.......

Sir
I totally agree with you
Gets very tiring.

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as the dealership didn't charge you for engine oil they didn't put in, if the level is in the operating range, just drive the car.

I change my own oil every other vehicles . Just my titan l. They gave me a deal on oil change when I bought the truck .

I top the oil this morning . Seen all good . Next time I will check the oil while I'm still at dealer

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN

Bashing corner gas stations with attendants who check your oil, tell you it's low, and sell you an extra quart. Actually, it's the garage by my house. I know the owner. He still hires high school kids to pump gas, clean windshields, and check oil. You don't get out of your car. He teaches all of those kids the same scam. Check the oil, tell the customer it's low, sell them a quart, and give them a coupon to come back for an oil change.

I did use the rest of the 5 qt. jug and it still not to the max line

The oil does not have to go to the max line. Anywhere between MIN & MAX are fine. Better to be closer to the top. 5 quarts is adequate for your 2.5L engine. Dipsticks may vary.

I didn't know where to place the floor jack.

With unibody cars, you should be able to raise the vehicle along the pinch weld. Your owners manual shows you the designated lift points. If you have to change a tire, those ramps are worthless. Get whatever jack you already own, and check to see if you can fit the jack under the height of the car, and if the jack will lift high enough to get the tire off the ground. I found out that a 2 ton bottle jack (which I really like) fully extended, does not raise one of cars up high enough to lift the tire.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

How To Jack Mazda CX5https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2014_Mazda_CX-5_Touring_2.5L_4_Cyl./jack_up_car/use_your_jack_to_raise_your_car

Last edited:

Common sense 🤔 Right ?

I don't know. What I thought was common knowledge, really isn't common. I thought that anybody who is savvy enough to read and post on a motor oil forum, would know how to check oil. I thought that most people knew to jack a car along the frame rails, unibody pinch weld, where some cars actually have a marking for your jack point, or refer to the owners manual. .

We shouldn't ridicule anybody who doesn't know what we perceive to be obvious. No such thing as "common" sense or knowledge. If someone doesn't know, and they ask; we just try to help them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back