towing cark in park

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and good afternoon all .

My Trailblazer is currently stuck where I am unable to move the shifter from the park position. ( gauge shows neutral )

When this happened I was backing up to hook up my boat and my truck is rear wheel drive.

If I am unable to move it away from my boat and it is in park what type of damage can I expect getting it on a rollback ?

Figure the tires will take a hit .

Seems like it could be a cable , soelonoid .

Going to take the console off tomorrow but not sure I will be able to get it in neutral as I am also not able to get under it .

Took the week off for some fishing , what a way to start it

Last edited:
mad.gif

Tried to add the mad icon in my original post not sure what happened

Last edited:
I would check the shift cable first before I tried to tow anything in park- those bushing are prone to failure and can cause separation.

Rear wheel drive? If so disconnect the drive shaft at the rear end. Its and easy thing to do, but block the tires, you dont want it to roll onto you.

Getting it on a flat bed won't hurt it. Dollies for the wheels, or just dragging it on the metal bed, either way is very little tire wear, and not a ton of strain on the parking pawl. If the winch can pull it, it won't be more load on anything than parking on a hill...

They drag illegally parked cars all the time... and shake them off at the impound lot! No worries.

Dragging might road rash the tires, create a flattish spot, which when your driving your going to notice that. We had a jammed up wheel cylinder, so a rear brake dragged, and it ruined the tire.

See what JustN89 said: happened to me in Lowes parking lot: got stuck in Reverse. Used some wire ties until I could get the bushing in the Help! Section at AAP. YouTube video had the correct part number.

If you're on cement lift the axle with 2 floor jacks, ready to roll the correct direction maybe?

Originally Posted by Chris142
Did you check the brake light fuse?

I did not check the brake light fuse. what affect would that have if it went ?

The truck is on gravel on the edge of my driveway right now.

With the running boards on the bottom tough for me to get underneath it .

Have seen a couple of videos with an actuator that will let you release the shifter.

Another video said check fuse 25 .

Last edited:
Put emergency brake in then crawl under vehicle and follow cable to transmission. Next move linkage forward if I remember correctly. Normally cable comes loose in console with repair kits readily available. Last one i did was about 3 years ago.

had to dig my way under the truck to see what I could find.

The bushing for the shifter linkage gave way , just like justN89 mentioned ( thanks for pointing me in the right direction )

Going to use the Dorman 14057 shifter bushing repair .

Worst case it could get me moving until I can replace the shifter cable .

Has anybody used this part for a while and how does it hold up for a longer term repair ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back