Changed oil 4 years ago but only drove 600 miles since. Change now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Smokescreen
Originally Posted by PimTac
I would either drive that truck more or sell it.

This....but for reasons other than the oil. Is it insured and registered each year? Is it taking up storage space. Are you keeping it for sentimental reasons?

At 600 miles in 4 years (~150 miles/year) you might want to perform a cost analysis to evaluate its need and why you even have it. You can readily rent a truck for the times you apparently use a truck.

...and yeah that gas is beyond stale and varnishing/clogging up your fuel system. Must run like p00 whenever you start it.

It's a box truck that comes in very handy for taking spring yard cleanup trimmings and brush from a couple of properties I have to the dump. Much better than any pickup. Don't need to insure and register it, I just slap my dealer tag on it to drive. At 15 years old it's not really depreciating in value so no need to sell, although I should this year. Went through the mechanicals with new plugs, coils, filters, fluids, brake pads and rotors, suspension bits, battery, etc. which I know ages a little even when not driven. I start it and move it around the storage lot every few months. Fuel injected engines don't have the same problems with old gas that carbureted ones do. Started it yesterday to move it to another spot to replace a brake hose. With the new plugs and coils installed a few years ago, that V10 idles as smooth as a Rolls Royce. I've had a car that drove fine with over 8 year old gas in the tank. It's just an urban myth that modern gas goes bad in less than a year. Maybe on older carbureted cars which have air vents so the fuel oxidizes, but not with modern sealed fuel systems.

Same reason I keep my old F150. Occasional trips to the dump and try taking it out once a month. Maybe 1k miles a year. I wouldn't change the oil. Flame suit on.
Used to be my daily driver before I retired. When I bought the 4Runner for the wife I inherited her Ranger.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi

. Went through the mechanicals with new plugs, coils, filters, fluids, brake pads and rotors, suspension bits, battery, etc.

You did all that, and didn't change the oil?

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
Originally Posted by atikovi

. Went through the mechanicals with new plugs, coils, filters, fluids, brake pads and rotors, suspension bits, battery, etc.

You did all that, and didn't change the oil?

I did right after I got it. Those other things during the first year like front pads

[Linked Image]

some weird looking front rotors that the last owner replaced

[Linked Image]

rear rotors, didn't think these older models had rear disc brakes

[Linked Image]

I have a 02 Ford diesel super duty with 31K on the clock. I have changed the oil 6 times( 5K) since new but when I drive it I drive it long enuf to get the engine up to full temp. The engine runs just fine, I do keep the fuel tank full to the brim and treated with conditioner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back