Car door hinge squeals like a stuck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's a good grease for lubricating that metal slide part that pushes into the door as it's closing?? Sorry, I don't know what it's technically called.

It's rubbing up against a white plastic, grommet like thing and is annoying . I had a tube of permatex ultra disc brake lube laying around and I tried that but it's started to squeak again.

Any suggestions???

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the door check. They can be very hard to lubricate properly without taking the door apart. Inside there is a roller on a shaft and it can be almost impossible to get lubricant into the correct place. Trying to spray something in there with a spray straw is about the best you can do without taking the door panel off.

Originally Posted by kschachn
That's the door check. They can be very hard to lubricate properly without taking the door apart. Inside there is a roller on a shaft and it can be almost impossible to get lubricant into the correct place. Trying to spray something in there with a spray straw is about the best you can do without taking the door panel off.

I was afraid of that. I tried jamming a straw in there using a can of silicone spray lubricant I had but apparently it didn't hit the right spot.

Yes it's an annoying sound.

Best thing that I have used is CRC white lithium grease spray.

I have tried using an aerosol grease like Lubriplate Spray Lube- A but have found that Three and One Oil with the extended tip works about as good as anything I have tried. You have to observe what component of the hinge assembly the pin is turning in and apply oil in those locations. I believe the pin is fixed to the movable hinge so you have to apply oil between the movable and fixed components.. Kept mine squeak-free for fifteen years doing that. Don't over oil and wipe away as much excess oil as possible to prevent dirt buildup on the hinges. Go for it

Try tightening all the little bolts that you can see on the door and door jamb. Mine was making a sort of popping sound, which I tried to remedy with a few types of lubricant. The bolts on the door were not very tight and tightening them did the trick.

Thanks, I hadn't thought to check all the bolts. None of them looked loose but I'll double check them. I was originally going to use the 3 in 1 with the telescopic applicator because 3 in 1 is an awesome penetrating oil in my opinion but I can't get the 3 in 1 back in there far enough to work.

Here's my dilemma, there's a white plastic like grommetty thing that I believe is there to prevent metal on metal occuring on that door check mechanism. I believe if I hacked that piece out there I could probably get a straw in there better aimed at whatever joint is on the other end squealing. I think using a spray lithium would probably work better than my silicone, bicycle chain lubricant I used. The reason I haven't done it yet is I'm afraid I'll be setting myself up for another problem with not having that plastic grommet like part in place.

Anyone take apart the door panel on a 09 Kia Sedona? Is it something you would attempt if you never have disassembled a door panel? Or I was wondering if I took it to a car audio installer and see if they would take it off for a reasonable price just so I could get on there to lubricate things.. I honestly have no idea what something like that would run.

I've thought about living with it because it doesn't bother me the driver as I don't use that door but when I have a passenger get it, darn it sounds just awful at times. None of the other doors do it, just that one.

Last edited:
I'd try some of the CRC clear penetrating grease via a straw. I wouldn't count on it working, in which case, I'd probably remove it, soak in wd-40, gasoline or diesel, clean and dry, then get grease, clear spray or otherwise, in there.

Success not guaranteed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back