Cross Country Oil Choice ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Mini Van has 230K miles on it and had synthetic oil all it's life except the first 20K miles - yes , the van will be loaded to the gills also ... Kia recommends 30W according to higher ambient temp conditions the vehicle will be running in during the OCI (in this case Summer) .

This is what I'd go with

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Havoline...3_1104294_1072084&wpa_bucket=__bkt__

Great choice. Also make sure everything else is up to par. Cooling system, tires, brakes etc.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Mini Van has 230K miles on it and had synthetic oil all it's life except the first 20K miles - yes , the van will be loaded to the gills also ... Kia recommends 30W according to higher ambient temp conditions the vehicle will be running in during the OCI (in this case Summer) .

This is what I'd go with

Great choice. Also make sure everything else is up to par. Cooling system, tires, brakes etc.

Yes probably more important than the choice of oil PimTac

Originally Posted by PimTac

This is what I'd go with

*Yes , having everything checked out prior to the trip ...

It's your van. Do whatever you want. With all that highway driving, lower viscosity oil will be fine. You are not going anywhere hot enough where 20 weight oil will fail. Your engine reaches operating temp, and the vehicle cooling system will maintain that temp.

Thanks for the update. With 230k miles I would go with any synthetic 5w-30. Vanilla Mobil1 to SuperTech. If mine, I would go the SuperTech route.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by AuthorEditor
I'd go with whatever you normally run. If it was me it would be the 5W-30 simply because it is in the recommended list and the 30 may offer some slight advantage in protection. Plus, it's one of the most common oils everywhere so you could purchase a top-up quart at any gas station, though if you had to add some 5W-30 to a load of 5W-20 it wouldn't make any difference.

Agreed -- it's only 5000 miles (give or take) back and forth and highway miles are easy miles so your usual oil is up to the task.

I'd go 5w-30 or even 10w-30...Northern Idaho's average lows in June = 47°F / 8°C so the xxw really won't make a difference.

Also agreed!

I would use the most inexpensive decent oil in the 5w30 flavor and call it a day. It isn't going to matter those are easy miles on a car. ST here at my local WM is under $16 for full synthetic. That would be my first choice.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
You'll be doing sustained high speeds but, not high RPMs.
Either a 5W20 or 5W30 should be just fine. And since you will be using a synthetic oil, it won't matter much especially since oils are built so much better today than ever before. Interstate driving is easier on oil than the norm.

I'm kind of a QSUD 5W30 guy myself.

This ^

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Thanks for the update. With 230k miles I would go with any synthetic 5w-30. Vanilla Mobil1 to SuperTech. If mine, I would go the SuperTech route.

Yeah I agree unless a there is one better for less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back