How the SR-71's engine works(P&W J58)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like how they pull the plane out of moth balls whenever one of its records are broken, then it sets a new record...

Saw a lot of HABU flights when i was in VP-19 deployed to Kadena airfield, everybody would come out of the hanger to watch it takeoff,
thumbsup2.gif

My favourite aircraft bar none, an absolute marvel of engineering and a testament to the ingenuity and perseverance present in American during the Cold War. I unfortunately have never been able to see one in flight, but was able to give it a good look-over at the Smithsonian when I was in Washington.

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

The Soviet pilot who defected to Japan in a MiG-25 wrote about trying to intercept SR-71s that were violating their airspace and how utterly futile it was.
The MiGs would scramble and fire those giant AA missiles they carried, and the SR-71s would just turn around and outrun the missiles...not that they were actually faster than the initial velocity of the missiles, just that they could make it impossible for the missiles to close before they ran out of energy.

Awesome info. My uncle worked on their Electrical systems back in the day. If ever in California, there is a Blackbird Airpark in Palmdale, CA. Have fond memories of the SR-71.

Secrecy was this program's first, second, and middle name.......when it admitted to having one.

Many times, Blackbird was fired upon by allies of the US for the simple fact that allies were not privy to Blackbird missions.

Years ago I was able to see one up close a Beal Air Force base.. It is not your everyday aircraft!

I was fortunate to be stationed at Edwards AFB when both the USAF and NASA was flying the SR-71 there in the mid 1990's. They also stored the engines in our shop so I got to see them up close.

Originally Posted by tom slick
I was fortunate to be stationed at Edwards AFB when both the USAF and NASA was flying the SR-71 there in the mid 1990's. They also stored the engines in our shop so I got to see them up close.

I saw one SR-71 (might have been NASA) at the 1997 Edwards AFB Open House. I believe the entire canopy was covered so that nothing else could be seen inside. They had a few other high security setups there, including armed security around the B-2 as well as a couple of F-117s literally coming into the crowd as people started moving out of the way.

Originally Posted by y_p_w

I saw one SR-71 (might have been NASA) at the 1997 Edwards AFB Open House. I believe the entire canopy was covered so that nothing else could be seen inside. They had a few other high security setups there, including armed security around the B-2 as well as a couple of F-117s literally coming into the crowd as people started moving out of the way.

That was a big air show that year. 50th anniversary of supersonic flight and 50th anniversary of the USAF. They had a lot of aircraft on display.

Originally Posted by y_p_w

That was a big air show that year. 50th anniversary of supersonic flight and 50th anniversary of the USAF. They had a lot of aircraft on display.

Went with a friend. Had to stay in Bakersfield because any place closer was sold out. I remember Chuck Yeager flew in an F-15 and I saw him swamped by autograph seekers on the ground.

The oddest thing I remember was seeing a Thunderbirds maintenance crew member around with a Blue Angels maintenance crew member - a Marine. Seemed kind of odd. I asked him if maybe he was left behind since the Blue Angels were at San Francisco Fleet Week the previous week. They said it was a learning exchange program.

Very cool. Watched the whole thing!

I've got a digital copy of the SR-71 flight manual (redacted, of course) which I've read, but it's great to hear a pilot describe his airplane...

coffee2.gif

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to work on the SR -71 program on the elint intel and ops sides at the Strategic Reconnaissance Center, Offutt, AFB from 1971-1975. I was involved with mission planning, flight following/threat awareness and coordination of various kinds. Never so much as got close to the aircraft itself but always thankful I got to be involved and I always wanted to see a triethylborane start with the aid of Buick and Chevy engines (look it up)!

There were drones back then too and not just the D-21. So many people think drones are something new. I worked on the Buffalo Hunter program (Ryan Firebee derived) there as well. We also were primary threat monitors for the U-2 missions. I was very fortunate to be there. Interestingly, I later worked in inertial systems for the company that made the star tracker based INS system, a system that was also used in the B-52 for a long time until the advent of RLG's which were nowhere near as accurate (good enough) but anvil reliable. The electrostatically suspended gyro inertial system was *invented* by Arnold Nordsieck, an unknown hero, for use on nuclear submarines but later adapted to the U-2, B-52, SR-71 and other uses. Incredibly accuate (no, really) and, with the astro-tracker for updating, unbelieveably so. Amazing, amazing stuff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back