Which 5w30 for gen lll Coyote 5.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Ford states 5w20 for DD and 5w30 when used during a track day (which should be dumped and refilled with 5w20 after...really???). This isn't a weight vs weight question, just oil vs oil with 5w30. I won't be putting a lot of miles on it as I have another vehicle and only drive 5k as it is. VERY hot summers here, short trips, occasional road trips, and a little spirited driving.
Thank you.

Maybe you could even think about a 10W30 in your location?
5W vs 10W is pretty meaningless in your climate.
I know this is not in line with Ford's recommendation, but I guess you'd already be moving away from that by using 5W30 away from the track...

Run a quality 5W30 or even a 5W40 and enjoy that awesome engine. You don't buy a 5.0 for EPA/CAFE best economy numbers! That engine will love the thicker oil and when/if you decide to beat on it, you'll be protected.

Check your owner's manual spec, it calls for the -B1 Ford spec which is an SN Plus rated oil, even though the Coyote in NA. If your OM hardcopy doesn't show the -B1 spec, check Ford's website for the latest PDF version of the OM.

Mobil 1 or PP in either 5W or 10W-30 would do well! 10W is more shear resistant if that matters to you.

I got a great UOA with Schaeffer's 9000 before I had to trade my '13 5.0. I would expect similar results for your engine.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Mobil 1/Pennzoil Platinum/other premium syn oil in 5/10w-30, whichever has the best current price and rebate.

Follow the recommendation. Use 5W-20. If you go to the track, then 5W-30. Unless your driving habit is wide open throttle, high RPMs, and constantly driving over 100 mph.

Thanks guys! Pretty much what I was thinking myself of going with M1 or PP 5w30 with the -B1 spec. Though I did think about using M1 0w40 since that is what I'm using in the 4Runner and would be great to have just one oil for both vehicles.

Gary - Your manual is probably different as this is a Gen 3 motor.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Just use 5W30 all the time keep it simple.

Ford -B1 spec 5w-30 and never look back.

PP (
crazy.gif
) or Mobil 1 would be easily accessible and inexpensive options.

Im running Rotella T6 5w40 in my Gen III 5.0 and things under the hood seem to be a bit less noisy compared to my previous batch of PUP 5w30. I like the 2.5 gallon jug, an even pour out of one jug is convenient too. Next change I will be trying out QSUD 10w30. At 10 qts two jugs of QSUD is 40 bucks, add a MC filter puts my oil change under 50 bucks after taxes for a very good oil a quality filter. Im in Florida where it never gets cold, so a 10w is plenty suitable year round. Correct me if Im wrong but IIRC the PUP 5w30 is a very thin 30. Just curious, does your coyote have the typewriter tick?

Originally Posted by addyguy
Any 5W-30 syn you can get on a good sale will be perfect for 5k.

I would agree, and Walmart is probably the best place to buy oil.

Originally Posted by Toy4x4
I was thinking of regular PP, and not PUP.
Yes, it does have the bbq/typewriter tick.

Lots of guys get rid of the typewriter tick with LiquiMoly CeraTec additive. 5W-30 might help, no guarantee. Join Mustang6G if you haven't already, lots of good info over there.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Toy4x4
I was thinking of regular PP, and not PUP.
Yes, it does have the bbq/typewriter tick.

Lots of guys get rid of the typewriter tick with LiquiMoly CeraTec additive. 5W-30 might help, no guarantee. Join Mustang6G if you haven't already, lots of good info over there.

If using that is common advice then it's not good information. Blindly adding a miracle in a bottle when it has proven to do nothing nor not being able describe how it improves a finished product is not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back