dealer short me half quart

Status
Not open for further replies.
well dealer short me after quart of 5w30 full synthetic, I dont have any full synthetic on hand at the moment, I do have some quaker state high miles synthetic blend 5w30, can I just add half quart and be done with it ? I dont feel like going back dealer for just half quart of oil and waiting room....

the dipstick show half full mark, usually it show full mark after oil change,

Your QS blend should be just fine for a topoff!
You are actually fine if you are between the marks, you could safely wait and see if you have any consumption and top off with a full synth later if that makes you feel better. You should only really need to add if you are below the second mark...although I do admit I like to keep our vehicles at full.

I did not realize they don't sell oil in TX.

You learn something new every day.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I'd keep an eye on it, and add a quart when it gets a full quart low.

Most oil change facilities seem to overfill. One of the many reasons DIY! I would rather they underfill than overfill. I would top off and be done with it.

Originally Posted by CPB
Most oil change facilities seem to overfill. One of the many reasons DIY! I would rather they underfill than overfill. I would top off and be done with it.

It's also easier to bill out by the quart in the DMS(Reynolds or ADP) than by a fraction as well. The parts or service manager isn't going to ask their lubes supplier to deliver less than a even number of bulk oil or cases.

Oil is usually dispensed from a system of pumps and a gun/nozzle assembly does have a meter in it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MetalSlug
well dealer short me after quart of 5w30 full synthetic, I dont have any full synthetic on hand at the moment, I do have some quaker state high miles synthetic blend 5w30, can I just add half quart and be done with it ? I dont feel like going back dealer for just half quart of oil and waiting room....

If it's in the safe range on the dipstick I'd prefer that than over filling the sump. Too many times people put in to much oil.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Sounds like another reason to avoid stealership oil changes! I would just top off with the QS HM and not sorry.

A years worth of half quart shortages sounds like money money money 💵💵💵 to me

Depending on the shop, and who is in charge, you should be able to call ahead. No reason why you can't pull up, they add half a quart, and you drive off.

Maybe the vehicle specs say 5 quarts, and when 5 quarts are put in, it comes up to the middle of the dipstick ...

My Honda is like that. Put in EXACTLY what the manual says, and the oil comes up well below the FULL mark on the dipstick.

A lot of the new cars have engine pans spec for metric liters. 5 liters of oil might show up in your owners manual as 5.3 quart, maybe 5.5 quarts, or something else close to 5 liter. Oil change guy throws in 5 quarts, checks to make sure that dipstick shows oil in proper range, then calls it done. On most cars , the dipstick range can vary by a quart or more. It's acceptable.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Take it back to the dealer and have them top it off!

Nope. Then he'll be dealing with an overfill by dealer, because for some dealers it's impossible not to mess up the service fill level on an oil change. Reports of dealer over fills and under fills seem common.

I vote for top it off with the Quaker State he has on hand at home.

Last edited by a moderator:

So what you're saying is, it's got a perfectly acceptable amount of oil in it ?

Shop floors at Dealers are poured at a 5% slope. This ensures a 1/2 qt short pour on each oil change, the return is huge after ten years of oil changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back