What’s the best price for a set

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I did a set on my car for $110. A used car dealer had taken in a similar year Camry that had snows on all four corners--and a nearly new set of RT43's in the trunk. He just wanted them gone so he listed the nearly new set on CL for $100. I have a HF tire changer so I swapped them onto a set of rims (those were CL finds also, but I won't count their cost here as that's not important) and then paid a local shop $10 to balance.

Deals like that tend to be hard to be a bit rare though...

I've heard of getting junkyard tires and all that, but I wonder if a set of Douglas tires from Walmart isn't a better deal. Still. Have you done *any* online shopping yet? Around here I can go onto Walmart's site, Town Faire Tire, and probably two others and get a set of quotes with almost no work on my part. Then I could hit up shops that don't list prices online and see what they'd give me.

We had the OEM tires pulled off our daughter's new Impreza because they had horrendous online reviews and the OEMs on my FXT (different tire) were brutally bad in winter conditions, then consigned the tires through the indy shop that installed RT43s on the Impreza. It took some months, but they eventually sold for $150 and we got 75% of it or whatever.

Contact a local indy tire shop that has a good reputation and see what they have lying around...the tires we got rid of probably had less than 100 miles on them. I wouldn't recommend them to anybody, but they would be better than running bald tires (I guess?).

It may have been a knee jerk reaction to dump tires we had no experience with, but I looked at them closely and they had no siping or anything else that suggested to me that they would get the job done on ice or in snow. My daughter was/is a student and was not going to drive during bad storms, but we wanted tires that would get her through the aftermath of bad winter weather. The tires that came on my car had similarly bad online reviews that matched my experience of feeling helpless with 2" of snow on the street (I left a review on TireRack myself), so that was enough for me to insist we get rid of the Impreza's OEM tires and slap RT43s on there. Subaru is getting a bad reputation for using crummy tires on their cars...

Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by atikovi
I vote this the most vague thread of the year.

+1 - although it could be topped by asking "whats the best price I can expect to pay for a car"

car = Flying Smoking Volvo?

I cannot understand your thought process. You posted a thread with almost no information and you are expecting useful answers? How is this fair to the rest of us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back