5w-40 for Turbo Summer oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Yall,

I never thought I would post one of those - what do you think threads - - yet here we are......

We just got a turbo 2019 Hyundai SF. I was thinking of running 5w-40 in the summer - - we do a lot of highway driving - - - 10+ hours drives.
Then back to 5w-30 for the winter. It gets wildly cold in Ottawa. -20,-30 celcius is common in Jan/ Feb. Also we have a short commute in the winter - 15min drives tops. Very few highway runs.

Just wanted to pick some oil minds.

Originally Posted by nicholas
Hi Yall,

I never thought I would post one of those - what do you think threads - - yet here we are......

We just got a turbo 2019 Hyundai SF. I was thinking of running 5w-40 in the summer - - we do a lot of highway driving - - - 10+ hours drives.
Then back to 5w-30 for the winter. It gets wildly cold in Ottawa. -20,-30 celcius is common in Jan/ Feb. Also we have a short commute in the winter - 15min drives tops. Very few highway runs.

I am not sure what is "Turbo Summer Oil," but you will be fine with 5W30 oils on long drives. Those conditions are easiest on engines.
If you want something more stout, but not overly heavy, use "European" W30 oils that have ACEA A3/B3 B4 specification.

Originally Posted by PimTac
5w30 is fine year round. Just stick with a SN+ and d1G2 oil and you will be fine.

I don't know - I'd go with a 5/0W - 40 or 5w - 30 that meets ACEA A3/B4.

Hyundai says "A5 or better" (whatever that means) and definitely specs a 5w-40 option for the 2.0T.

Theta II -
frown.gif

Then back to 5w-30 for the winter. It gets wildly cold in Ottawa. -20,-30 celcius is common in Jan/ Feb. Also we have a short commute in the winter - 15min drives tops. Very few highway runs.. Just wanted to pick some oil minds.
Pick a "0w" oil in that kind of cold. Mobil1 AFE 0w30 would be best there. You could switch to any dexos Gen2 5w30 oil in the summer. Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic or Amsoil OE, both in 5w30, has a higher viscosity for hot weather driving that could help a little.

If it was my SF, I would use PP 5W-30 year around, OEM Hyundai filter and change the oil according to severe schedule which should be 6,000 kms.
It is mandated by Hyundai Canada in any case.

In our 179k miles of ownership, we've used 5w30 80% of the time. Mostly non-d1G2 because it wasn't available yet, and this SF 2.0T still runs like a top. Using 5w40 now because it was in my stash but like Pim Tac stated, any d1G2 5w30 will work splendidly.

Congrats on the new ride.

they are basically the same in the cold but at running temps they are not.

I too have a 2.0T Kia engine and I run Castrol Edge 0W-40 all year with good results (UOA, etc.). That is what I would recommend.
Hi Yall,

I too have a 2.0T Kia engine and I run Castrol Edge 0W-40 all year with good results (UOA, etc.). That is what I would recommend.

I meant using 5w-40 only in the Summer.....

5w-40 is perfectly acceptable in winter. I did it for years. You could run an A3/B4 5w-40 or an HDEO 5w-40, depending upon what the specifications permit and what you're willing to do. You could also run an E6 5w-30 like I am, which has elevated HTHS yet remains within the 5w-30 grade, again, assuming, it fits within what you wish to do and what the specifications permit.

We just got a turbo 2019 Hyundai SF. I was thinking of running 5w-40 in the summer.

It isn't necessary at all.

I ran 5w40 Magnatec US Red Label in a 16 Veloster Turbo, it was fine for a 5k oci.

Traded it in because my back cant handle long drives in such a small low to the ground vehicle paired with horrible Texas highways.

I was thinking the 5w-40 would hold up better for the long highway drives we have planned this summer. 16+ hours of straight driving in summer weather.
Perhaps provide better protection for the turbo bearing.

I just switch from PP 5w30 (A5 w/ SN+ & Fram Ultra oil filter) to PP Euro 5w40 (A3 w/ SN & Fram Ultra oil filter) on my Elantra TGDI recently.
Yes, I could feel the difference. It's not as quiet and smooth as before when idle. But seems more power and smooth at higher speed.

Originally Posted by Petabytes
I just switch from PP 5w30 (A5 w/ SN+ & Fram Ultra oil filter) to PP Euro 5w40 (A3 w/ SN & Fram Ultra oil filter) on my Elantra TGDI recently.
Yes, I could feel the difference. It's not as quiet and smooth as before when idle. But seems more power and smooth at higher speed.

How? Considering your turbo need bit more time to spool.

I was thinking the 5w-40 would hold up better for the long highway drives we have planned this summer. 16+ hours of straight driving in summer weather.

Which is EASIEST road condition your car will ever see. You can run anything in those conditions, your engine will be fine.
Do not go too thick in an engine that is not recommended for it. Thick oil generates more heat too. Get Castrol Edge 0W30 ACEA A3/B4, or Castrol 5W30 ACEA A3/B4. Mobil1 ESP 5W30, Pennzoil 0W30 LX etc. basically any 0/5W30 oil that has these specifications: ACEA A3/B3 B4, and is approved for MB 229.5 OR ACEA C3 and it is approved to MB 229.51 or MB 229.52 or VW 504.00/507.00. Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W30 is super easy to find here in the US in Wal Mart.
All these "Euro" 0/5W30 are very thick W30 oils on verge to be W40 oils.
But again, driving 16hrs on hwy is best thing that can happen to an engine.

The "turbo bearing" (of which there are two) are exactly the same as the main and connecting rod bearings in the engine. If you're not worried about one, no point in worrying about the other.

I tend to agree for your application factory spec oil will be more than adequate.

Factory spec is 5w-30/40 - 10w-30/40 - 20w-50.
Also the turbo bearing - - two bearnings connected by 1 shaft - spins over 150,000 rpm....the crank bearings do not.

Just getting some feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back