Sealant Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just replaced the water pump on my F150 4.9. Several mounting bolts went into the water jacket. One will not stop dribbling. I used Permatex 2 on the threads prior to inserting. Is there something better to apply to the threads to seal this up better?

Are the bolts of different lengths ? Did you get the correct bolts into the correct holes .

I would use the non hardening Permatex . Is that # 2 ?

Did you use a gasket or sealant between the block & the water pump .

I would go get the non-hardening Permatex & a new gasket . A good , sharp gasket scraper ( I use a wood chisel from HF ) .

Remove the pump , lean the block and the fasteners . Coat the fasteners that go into the water jacket with the non-hardening sealant and use the sealant to " glue " the gasket to the pump ( gasket oriented correctly ) . I do not use sealant on the block side of the gasket . Much easier to remove the pump latter and less scraping .

Install the pump , with the correct fastener in the correct hole , tightening in a chis-cross pattern . Either torque the fasteners fown by feel or with a torque wrench .

Install the belt and any thing else you removed , fill it up and asd a prayer .

Please let us know how it turned out .

I drove small block Fords in the late 60's and 70's . I got fairly good at changing remain water pumps . Do not know how similar they were to your engine ?

Best of luck to you , :)

To add, all bolts were same length. I wire wheeled all bolts to clean them up. I applied the non hardening, permatex 2 to the bolt threads and a thin layer on both sides of the gasket. I had everything on the block very clean, sprayed a little brake cleaner on all surfaces and wiped.

Did you apply the Permatex 2 to the bolt threads only? I always apply it to the threads and the non threaded portion as well.

And I don't know how you put a thin layer on the gasket. The way the stuff is comprised and how thick it is, my gaskets always look like a frosted cake.

Of course if the gasket was designed to be installed with no applied sealant and you used it anyway, that could be the cause of your leak right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back