Looking for IP rated 24V DC regulator/conditioner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy forum of crazy knowledge. I have some sensitive equipment that I need to mount on an off highway vehicle that is running a 24V DC system. The components also run off of 24V DC. The problem is the voltage swings I see on the vehicle system cause my equipment to fault out, so I am looking for something that would have a 10-36 ish volt input and be able to output a clean 24V supply with about a 10 amp capability. Below is the closest I have found, but alas it is only about half of the amperage I need. Anybody know of something like this?

DC 24V 4A voltage stabilizer surge protector

Thank you in advance for the help!

How long are the swings lasting ?

Do you have a 24 Volt battery or two 12 Volt batteries wired in series ?

Would a large capacitor and maybe a choke coil installed in the circuit to the equipment in question ?

I have read some of the old USAF surplus equipment was 24 VDC ?

Also , if the charging coming from an alternator ? Might check & see if it is going bad ? Also look for bad / corroded / loose connection in the electrical system .

https://www.google.com/search?clien...HRs0D0kQBQgpKAA&biw=1344&bih=677

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
How long are the swings lasting ?

Do you have a 24 Volt battery or two 12 Volt batteries wired in series ?

Would a large capacitor and maybe a choke coil installed in the circuit to the equipment in question ?

I have read some of the old USAF surplus equipment was 24 VDC ?

Also , if the charging coming from an alternator ? Might check & see if it is going bad ? Also look for bad / corroded / loose connection in the electrical system .

https://www.google.com/search?clien...HRs0D0kQBQgpKAA&biw=1344&bih=677

Not sure on duration...I will dig into it, but I believe while they are mostly less than 1 second, the low voltage conditions can be much much longer. I am leaning toward energy savings techniques much like GM uses on their cars where if the battery is fully charged the charging system will drop way down and run off the battery to save energy.

Two 12V in series

Maybe...have to be a pretty darn big cap to supply 10 amps for even a second and maintain the 24V level

machine is brand new...less than 200 hours, all connections have been triple checked

Again, I think this is mainly a charging algorithm issue that is not compatible with my instrumentation.

...I am also considering just purchasing two of the items I linked in the first post and running them in parallel. Any considerations/cautions I should be aware about if I decide to do that?

Originally Posted by DriveHard
...I am also considering just purchasing two of the items I linked in the first post and running them in parallel. Any considerations/cautions I should be aware about if I decide to do that?

Load sharing is a tricky problem...you'd probably end up with one regulator bearing most of the load and probably being stressed.

I see lots of products bucking 24V down to 12V at 10A, and others boosting 12V to 24V at 10A...nothing yet in a buck/boost that will take ~24Vin and make 24Vout at 10A.
There are lots of companies like ADI and TI that make integrated buck/boost power modules that can handle your Vin/Vout/Iload, but you'd have to figure out how to heatsink them and make your pin connections...not trivial.

Wait....maybe this would work?? 150W is still less than you are asking for, but it's getting closer...
https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Adjusta...;qid=1558543581&s=gateway&sr=8-3

I don't have enough direct knowledge to help other than perhaps direct you toward investigating marine systems. Lots of 24 volt system with environmentally hardened sub-parts. I'll look around too, send along if I find.

Thanks all for the advice. I actually have two loads I need to drive at 24 volts, so my plan is to get two of these 12v to 24v boosters and run one off of each battery. Thanks again!

Link to booster

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back