Aftermarket AC. How much did they really save?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this thread started, I was trying to remember which vehicle had aftermarket AC in our fleet. It was an Impala about 1980 vintage. It was bought used and had no AC. My dad decided to do one of the aftermarket installs, and it was effective enough, if I recall correctly. I don't remember what all went into doing the install, or how long it would have lasted. I believe the car was totalled off long before the unit's long term reliability could be established. AC was becoming more desirable in taxis in those days, since some customers would specifically request a taxi with AC. After all, why not, when the fare is the same either way?

Good possibility the RV was meant to be cooled by the rooftop units, rather than a dashboard OEM setup. As previously mentioned, without rooftop you are going to fry anyway.

Where R12 replacement is concerned, I use perfectly legal ES12a industrial. It is illegal to convert an R12 system to ES12. It is legal to convert an R134 system to ES12.

So what I do is legally convert an R12 system to R134a by installing the fittings (but without charging it), and then charge my legally R134a system to ES12.

My systems easily throw vent temps in the high 30s in Florida heat.

Where classic cars are concerned, properly engineered systems like Vintage Air are always the better way to go, unless you like hunting down rare parts just to keep a poor OEM system going.

GMs with those nasty engine bay mounted evaporators and blowers are the best candidates. I did a 70 Camaro that was able to lose EVERYTHING from under the hood except a compressor, condenser, and two hoses. Fit and finish was top notch and 10 times better than the ancient OEM system.

With a severe duty fan clutch and aggressive clutch fan, even idle performance was Arctic.

At this point, I would not seriously oppose sealing engine compartments, with only an access panel for checking oil. No access permitted except by a dealer or certified technician...break the seal, the car is seized and crushed.

So im supposed to worry about what refrigerant i want to use when the Epa has been gutted, coal is supposed to be king and we're out of the Paris climate accord and let oil wells be drilled any place they want.

i recall buying a 96 civic LX (mid-level trim, power locks, windows, mirrors). Though the spec sheet said A/C, the dealer said they installed the A/Cs in all of the civics. I had to wait 3 days after purchasing to pick up the car.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Charging a car A/C with HC-12 should be a felony.

It's a good thing you're not in charge of such things!

[Trump]Yeah, or we'd be in jaaaail[/Trump]

Well, the thing about it is that people misunderstand hydrocarbon refrigerant. They think it's a ticking time bomb and that other refrigerants are "safe".

Couldn't be further from the truth. Even "low volatility" refrigerant makes an excellent flame thrower with the oil in it. Especially when it sprays out as an aerosol mix.

R1234yfqwerty, or whatever it's called? Massively flammable under pressure.

In any case, the electrically charged sulfuric acid reservoir (battery), high pressure gasoline delivery, and underhood arc welder (high amperage charged battery/starter cables) are responsible for almost 100% of underhood fires.

All refrigerants have a very high autoignition temperature. HC refrigerant has the highest of them. So refrigerant isn't going up unless you already have a fire, or you happen to rear end someone while driving through active magma.

Why? It's a better refrigerant, plain and simple.

I wonder what you'd say, o wise King, when I hook my Coleman's can up to a R-12 system?

Upfitters in general do things like this.....I've worked on several service body Ford Super Duties upfitted by Royal, Their Power Window installs is one of the biggest hack jobs I've ever seen! And to think they did that to a brand new truck
confused2.gif

Originally Posted by Trav
I remember many Subaru's in the 80's had no factory A/C, most were dealer installed. This may have been the same.

The Chevy Aveo came without AC as well but had all the fittings for a dealer or aftermarket installation listed as part of it's standard equipment on the window sticker.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Well, the thing about it is that people misunderstand hydrocarbon refrigerant. They think it's a ticking time bomb and that other refrigerants are "safe".

Couldn't be further from the truth. Even "low volatility" refrigerant makes an excellent flame thrower with the oil in it. Especially when it sprays out as an aerosol mix.

In any case, the electrically charged sulfuric acid reservoir (battery), high pressure gasoline delivery, and underhood arc welder (high amperage charged battery/starter cables) are responsible for almost 100% of underhood fires.

All refrigerants have a very high autoignition temperature. HC refrigerant has the highest of them. So refrigerant isn't going up unless you already have a fire, or you happen to rear end someone while driving through active magma.

No, this is wrong. Plain and simple: Freon (R-12) is not flammable. (NFPA flammability is 0, it simply will not burn.) HC-12a is highly flammable-NFPA level 4, "Materials that completely vaporize at normal pressure and temperature and burn readily."

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Why? It's a better refrigerant, plain and simple.

I wonder what you'd say, o wise King, when I hook my Coleman's can up to a R-12 system?

It's highly flammable.

Maybe it really is time to simply make car air conditioners sealed and non-serviceable. It leaks out? Sorry, tough luck. Open the windows and deal with it!

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp

No, this is wrong. Plain and simple: Freon (R-12) is not flammable. (NFPA flammability is 0, it simply will not burn.) HC-12a is highly flammable-NFPA level 4, "Materials that completely vaporize at normal pressure and temperature and burn readily."

This would be relevant if you could operate a dry refrigeration system. R-12 mixed with oil and pressurized is flame thrower fuel.

Maybe it really is time to simply make car air conditioners sealed and non-serviceable. It leaks out? Sorry, tough luck. Open the windows and deal with it!

I'd just weld service ports in......Fly to DFW & drive around at 5:00 rush hour in August with no A/C.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back