Edge 0w30 thicker than 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by TiredTrucker
How is it then that many folks use a 5w30 at sub zero temps with no issues? I have never used a 0wXX oil in my 50 years of driving and every year deal with periods of -20F or less on occasion. And 5w30 has done just fine. The stuff is rated for -30C / -23F in terms of CCS viscosity and most of the synthetic varieties have pour points 10 degrees or more lower.

That's all true, but remember that we're not comparing oils that are in direct competition here. As you should be aware, the Castrol 0w-30 in question can very likely be used in diesel engines up to and including those requiring a CI-4 (if not later). It has all the Euro specs. At one time, it was one of the few A3/B4 type lubricants available in North America, and there were times when there simply wasn't a 5w-30 equivalent. Castrol's own 5w-30 A3/B4 equivalent is certainly not a superior lube to their 0w-30 by price or other numbers.

The 5w-30 ILSAC, which was part of the original post, is not in anything resembling direct competition with their 0w-30 A3/B4. People aren't choosing (or shouldn't be) Castrol 0w-30 A3/B4 just because they see a low number before the "w" and a 30 at the end. Most are choosing it because it's an approved oil for a number of European applications and technically out of spec for many Japanese and North American applications.

Originally Posted by Silver
Even at 40c. Seems like they should just switch labels?

pds

Thanks for sharing, what an incredible oil for winter with guys who want protection as well. Best of both worlds, very rare imo.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
iirc many experts on this site have said that if the oil can be pumped (e.g 5W to pass at -22°F), then there is nothing to worry about. meaning forget about the YouTube cold flow test videos ...

0W can be pumped at lower temps but that's all.

if 2 oils (0W and 5w) are within the cold temp spec (ccs), the thicker oil will actually be better and will warm up faster which is better and provides quicker protection.

hopefully one of the more knowledgeable members can correct me IF I'm wrong.

That only matters if you are driving like an idiot with cold engine.
0W is absolutely better in really, really cold environment. At one point, 0W and 5W will intersect. So how faster 5W will warm up? 1 minute faster? 2 minutes? 3 minutes? It does not matter if you slam onto gas pedal immediately.

Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by TiredTrucker
How is it then that many folks use a 5w30 at sub zero temps with no issues? I have never used a 0wXX oil in my 50 years of driving and every year deal with periods of -20F or less on occasion. And 5w30 has done just fine. The stuff is rated for -30C / -23F in terms of CCS viscosity and most of the synthetic varieties have pour points 10 degrees or more lower.

That's all true, but remember that we're not comparing oils that are in direct competition here. As you should be aware, the Castrol 0w-30 in question can very likely be used in diesel engines up to and including those requiring a CI-4 (if not later). It has all the Euro specs. At one time, it was one of the few A3/B4 type lubricants available in North America, and there were times when there simply wasn't a 5w-30 equivalent. Castrol's own 5w-30 A3/B4 equivalent is certainly not a superior lube to their 0w-30 by price or other numbers.

The 5w-30 ILSAC, which was part of the original post, is not in anything resembling direct competition with their 0w-30 A3/B4. People aren't choosing (or shouldn't be) Castrol 0w-30 A3/B4 just because they see a low number before the "w" and a 30 at the end. Most are choosing it because it's an approved oil for a number of European applications and technically out of spec for many Japanese and North American applications.

Actually, Castrol 0W30 back in the days had Kettjenlube (I think that was the name) additive developed by Kyocera. It was green color and seriously smooth out engines. Although it was W30, it had Porsche A40 approval.
Latter Castrol I think sold patent on that additive to some Russian company, and used other additives. But, it was always premier oil, and it is even today. I found on sale on Amazon few days ago 6 pack batch for $38. Regretted immediately for not stocking up as next day it jumped to $59.

Back when I had the Audi, I tried it out, since that was one of the only A3/B4 type lubes on the market here. There was that, M1 0w-40, and RP 0w-40, all of which were in 1 litre bottles. The GC and M1 would go on sale at times. The RP was the cheapest at regular price, believe it or not.

Castrol 0W 30 GC is also a very good oil to use on medium size electric motors. The blower motor on our furnace was making noise, I took it apart and oiled the oil holding pads on both sides of the motor with Castrol 0W 30 and it no longer makes any noise and that was 3 years ago. And the motor for my milling machine was running slow and I put Castrol 0W 30 on the top bearing and it runs properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back