Honda 1.5T Edge 0W40 8,800mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dblshock
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looks great! Did the wheels yourself?

Unfortunately this engine has issues. Trying to solve the issue with an oil is difficult and more of a bandaid. I keep seeing people suggest a "0w30" etc. That won't help and is only worse. More VII's that will break down when fuel is present. If anything you'd want an oil with a narrow spread and little VII's.

M1 EP 0w20 wouldn't be a bad choice. I think Valvoline 5w20 would be an excellent choice. If Amsoil ACD straight 30wt was available with SN levels of ZDP that too would be a great choice. Magnatec as well but due to that oils unique chemistry.

Originally Posted by buster
I keep seeing people suggest a "0w30" etc. That won't help and is only worse. More VII's that will break down when fuel is present.

please provide the evidence to support the statement above. Otherwise, I'd say it is another pound of baloney

Unfortunately this engine has issues. Trying to solve the issue with an oil is difficult and more of a bandaid. I keep seeing people suggest a "0w30" etc. That won't help and is only worse. More VII's that will break down when fuel is present. If anything you'd want an oil with a narrow spread and little VII's.

M1 EP 0w20 wouldn't be a bad choice. I think Valvoline 5w20 would be an excellent choice. If Amsoil ACD straight 30wt was available with SN levels of ZDP that too would be a great choice. Magnatec as well but due to that oils unique chemistry.

Your post is a great example of BITOG'er hand-wringing.

Tens of thousands of these will be sold and will run for many, many miles without issue.

My GF has a 2018 Civic Hatchback 6-speed with the 1.5T. She's having oil changes done at the dealer for now, with whatever 0W-20 they use.

If I were doing the maintenance I'd use something like a PPPP 10W-30, or a stout 0W-30 like PPPP EuroLX.

But even with 0W-20 pee water in the sump, she sleeps great at night.

Don't you lose any sleep over it, OK?

Originally Posted by parshisa
I keep seeing people suggest a "0w30" etc. That won't help and is only worse. More VII's that will break down when fuel is present.

please provide the evidence to support the statement above. Otherwise, I'd say it is another pound of baloney

"Originally Posted by buster
I have a question. Do viscosity modifiers break down when there is fuel dilution? The reason I'm asking is I've noticed over the years that Redline rarely drops a a a grade even when there is fuel dilution and it appears that oils with a larger spread, which often indicates more VII, tend to lose a greater percentage of their viscosity than those with a narrow spread. Is this due to the concentration of viscosity modifiers? Thank you

Gokhan
"That's correct! This is the reason why only monograde oils are specified for two-stroke-cycle diesel engines. VII and fuel dilution do not mix.

However, the reason is not because the VII breaks down with fuel dilution. VII amplifies the viscosity at all (operating) temperatures by the same constant. In other words, KV is multiplied by the same constant at 40 C and 100 C. When there is fuel dilution, the base oil viscosity is reduced and this multiplication constant amplifies the effect"

This has been my observation. Redline uses thicker baseoiks with little VII's and rarely loses its viscosity."

See this post on VII's. Last page.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-index-improvers-are-not-bad#Post5108589

Originally Posted by john_pifer

Your post is a great example of BITOG'er hand-wringing.

Tens of thousands of these will be sold and will run for many, many miles without issue.

My GF has a 2018 Civic Hatchback 6-speed with the 1.5T. She's having oil changes done at the dealer for now, with whatever 0W-20 they use.

If I were doing the maintenance I'd use something like a PPPP 10W-30, or a stout 0W-30 like PPPP EuroLX.

But even with 0W-20 pee water in the sump, she sleeps great at night.

Don't you lose any sleep over it, OK?

I'm not losing any sleep over Honda Civics and fuel dilution I can assure you that. LMAO. I don't own one.

What is of interest to me though are how different oils with different chemical compositions handle fuel dilution, which IS what BITOG is all about.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by dblshock
Thanks Wemay, plasti dipped a set of remaned oem rims, paint was $115 with new center caps and 3mm spacers.

plasti dip thread

Nice! Your Civic is tastefully done. Enjoy it for many years.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by MParr
SMDH! The 0W40 is a fine choice
SMDH here too! (I had to look that one up in Urban Dictionary. TMAM ! (Too Many Acronyms, Man) )....
Hating Honda's fuel dilution. Wear numbers stink, especially by historical Honda-Toyota standards, where 1 ppm iron per 1,000 miles was almost expected.
0w40 is probably over-kill here, since it resulted in a 30 weight in the end, and this engine is spec'ed for 0w20.
Stick with the Xw30 option, as you're doing now with the Citgo 10w30 you're using now. Although M1 AFE 0w30 for your tough winters.
I can't say any adjustment you make will help those wear numbers though.

Euro manual prefers a 0/30 0/40 or 5/40. 0/20 is for us cafe standards.

Originally Posted by Bullwinkle007
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by MParr
SMDH! The 0W40 is a fine choice
SMDH here too! (I had to look that one up in Urban Dictionary. TMAM ! (Too Many Acronyms, Man) )....
Hating Honda's fuel dilution. Wear numbers stink, especially by historical Honda-Toyota standards, where 1 ppm iron per 1,000 miles was almost expected.
0w40 is probably over-kill here, since it resulted in a 30 weight in the end, and this engine is spec'ed for 0w20.
Stick with the Xw30 option, as you're doing now with the Citgo 10w30 you're using now. Although M1 AFE 0w30 for your tough winters.
I can't say any adjustment you make will help those wear numbers though.

Euro manual prefers a 0/30 0/40 or 5/40. 0/20 is for us cafe standards.

no it dosent. 0w-20 and xx-30 (acea a3 and a5). And the eu engine is a little diffrent(I-Vtec)

Monday my son is taking the Civic, he's always asked for it and my needs have changed
since I moved here instead of the 500mi. weekend commutes..40k it was all good and still like new
and I'm sure he'll follow my maintenance routine.

again the reason for this UOA was to check the oil condition after 8.8k and as hoped
the extraction routine is working here in the bitter cold WI. winters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back