If/when electrics take over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 4WD
Isn't that what the MBT's are armored with … ?

Yes, depleted Uranium (which isn't dangerous in conventional handling, being about half as radioactive as natural Uranium) is used on everything from armour plating to anti-materials rounds, like those fired from the M82A1 Sniper Rifle. Most of it comes in the form of a byproduct of the enrichment process for US reactor fuel, which makes it plentiful and essentially free of cost. It's an extremely dense metal, which makes it ideal for armour-piercing projectiles, shells...etc.

The problem comes from the inhalation of the heavy metal fragments (no different than lead really) which can lead to extremely high exposure levels which could potentially cause health problems.

Originally Posted by Shannow
The Teslas seem to be autoigniting while parked...

Only the ones which are sure to compete against ones own state-backed domestic offerings.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
California is very dependent on hydro from the PNW, nuclear from Arizona and water from the Colorado. Maybe it's time they became self sufficient.
California should be sufficient onto themselves, but they keep buying into power developments in other states. Not only do they suck the PNW hydro, they have very choice picks of the Northwest wind alleys, where Wind Turbines are built. They keep saying the Pacific DC Intertie power transfer lines from the Columbia River to California, weren't a California idea, & many people are sold bridges in deserts, too. Plus, the California drain on the Colorado River, makes sure the Colorado dries up before reaching the Sea of Cortes.

Originally Posted by ShutdownCorner
They used depleted uranium on battlefields in Iraq (and kids there have deformities). They do use the waste to an extent.

Don't believe all the fake news you read.

I read from Department of Veterans Affairs
https://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/depleted_uranium/

And that link outlines what I've stated regarding the product. It is a potential hazard when inhaled/ingested in volume, no different than myriad other heavy metals like lead. Natural Uranium is all around us, and the oceans are the largest single source of it. It's twice as radioactive as DU, but it isn't a hazard because of the dilution level. Similarly, we used to make utensils out of lead, and that was, not surprisingly, toxic. But Average Joe shooter isn't likely to get lead poisoning from handling his Winchester .308 rounds.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
They used depleted uranium on battlefields in Iraq (and kids there have deformities). They do use the waste to an extent.

Don't believe all the fake news you read.

I read from Department of Veterans Affairs
https://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/depleted_uranium/

And that link outlines what I've stated regarding the product. It is a potential hazard when inhaled/ingested in volume, no different than myriad other heavy metals like lead. Natural Uranium is all around us, and the oceans are the largest single source of it. It's twice as radioactive as DU, but it isn't a hazard because of the dilution level. Similarly, we used to make utensils out of lead, and that was, not surprisingly, toxic. But Average Joe shooter isn't likely to get lead poisoning from handling his Winchester .308 rounds.

I knew an Iraqi who told me about this. It was available for inhalation in volume for quite long stretches.

https://www.newsweek.com/how-us-made-use-radioactive-bombs-routine-443732

"within one or two years, grotesque birth defects spiraled—such as babies with two heads. Or missing eyes, hands and legs. Or stomachs and brains inside out."

Also: I made a thread about football strategy, and when I click it, it won't let me see it. Something about not having permission. What gives? All sorts of random threads about keto diet and biotech jobs there. Is gaming strategy not allowed?

Last edited:
Also: I made a thread about football strategy, and when I click it, it won't let me see it. Something about not having permission. What gives? All sorts of random threads about keto diet and biotech jobs there. Is gaming strategy not allowed?

Guess the moderators thought you were trolling.

Wonder why they would think that?

Originally Posted by kschachn

Guess the moderators thought you were trolling.

Wonder why they would think that?

Yes.
My guess is I used too many technical terms that only people who know football would know. The mods must not know football.

I doubt it.
Maybe another reason.

Hmm, Something something about multiple users, than complaints to moderators about being found part of multiple users?

Even if you (BossMoss/ShutdownCorner) change IPs, does not mean moderators could not figure out the same style of posting....

I knew an Iraqi who told me about this. It was available for inhalation in volume for quite long stretches.

"within one or two years, grotesque birth defects spiraled—such as babies with two heads. Or missing eyes, hands and legs. Or stomachs and brains inside out."

Unfortunately, that's war. Lead is just as bad, DU is used because, as noted in the article, its high density makes it ideal to penetrate armour plating and fortified structures. It isn't that it is dangerously radioactive; DU is readily handleable, and not listed as a radiological hazard, but, like numerous other heavy metals, it is toxic, and thus if taken internally, can cause numerous issues including things like birth defects.

A good (balanced) read on it can be found here:
http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/dod/du_factsheet_4aug98.htm

A quote from the last paragraph is quite telling:
Each weapon system that uses DU has undergone extensive developmental testing and evaluation. As part of that process, DOD evaluates possible alternative metal alloys considering operational requirements and medical/environmental impacts. As improvements have been made in the "hardness" of armored vehicles, tests have demonstrated that DU offers superior performance to all other alloys.

DOD must also evaluate the environmental and medical consequences of exposure to any new alloy. Uranium has an advantage in this arena over several candidate materials because of the extensive database on uranium. While some candidate replacement alloys may not be radioactive, they are not necessarily less toxic to humans.

Essentially, alternatives, that won't perform as well as DU has proven to perform, may not be less toxic, and in fact could be moreso, despite not being radioactive.

Getting back to the topic of nuclear power, DU isn't a problematic byproduct of enrichment, and has uses beyond the military ones being discussed, including as part of a MOX, which combines DU with plutonium, to create a viable reactor fuel:
http://www.world-nuclear.org/inform...fuel-recycling/mixed-oxide-fuel-mox.aspx

As I said quite early on, used fuel is an asset and has a ton of generating potential, the US has CHOSEN a programme which doesn't include these options, but that's not at the feet of the technology.

Unfortunately, that's war. Lead is just as bad, DU is used because, as noted in the article, its high density makes it ideal to penetrate armour plating and fortified structures. It isn't that it is dangerously radioactive; DU is readily handleable, and not listed as a radiological hazard, but, like numerous other heavy metals, it is toxic, and thus if taken internally, can cause numerous issues including things like birth defects.

Each weapon system that uses DU has undergone extensive developmental testing and evaluation. As part of that process, DOD evaluates possible alternative metal alloys considering operational requirements and medical/environmental impacts. As improvements have been made in the "hardness" of armored vehicles, tests have demonstrated that DU offers superior performance to all other alloys.

DOD must also evaluate the environmental and medical consequences of exposure to any new alloy. Uranium has an advantage in this arena over several candidate materials because of the extensive database on uranium. While some candidate replacement alloys may not be radioactive, they are not necessarily less toxic to humans.

Essentially, alternatives, that won't perform as well as DU has proven to perform, may not be less toxic, and in fact could be moreso, despite not being radioactive.

Getting back to the topic of nuclear power, DU isn't a problematic byproduct of enrichment, and has uses beyond the military ones being discussed, including as part of a MOX, which combines DU with plutonium, to create a viable reactor fuel:

As I said quite early on, used fuel is an asset and has a ton of generating potential, the US has CHOSEN a programme which doesn't include these options, but that's not at the feet of the technology.

So how safe is it to have a tiny amount to power a car

Originally Posted by pandus13
I doubt it.
Maybe another reason.

Hmm, Something something about multiple users, than complaints to moderators about being found part of multiple users?

Even if you (BossMoss/ShutdownCorner) change IPs, does not mean moderators could not figure out the same style of posting....

That's not me.

So how safe is it to have a tiny amount to power a car

You'll have to further expand on that question. How are you proposing the car be powered in this context?

Originally Posted by meep
my guess is this is a "mr fusion" comment (back to the future)

Yes, it was an exceedingly vague question, hence my request for details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back