Water leak from passenger door?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noticed last tonight that there was a small stream of water coming in over the interior door sill on the Liberty. Been getting some moderate to heavy rains. Any ideas? It was a stream in the red circle area, perpendicular to the sill trim piece (parallel to the ridges on it). Didn't see any other drips on the a pillar or kick panel. Nothing on the headliner or Huskyliner floor mat. I do have a sunroof.
Any ideas? Hoping it's a simple fix!!!

water leak.jpg

First thing I would do is blow the drains out with compressed air

Yes, check the drains, and if that doesn't fix the problem pull the panel and check the water shield underneath along with all the perimeter seals.

What year model ?

Did you drive in water deep enough to infiltrate from the bottom ? Or did the water come in from the top ( around the glass ? ) .

My general concept is , it is often difficult / impossible to keep water out of something . Make sure there is a path for it to drain out .

Is you live in the salt belt , pull the interior panel & and clean , flush , wash any salt / mud residue out of the interuior of the door and use some sort of rust inhibitor , inside the door .

Start at the ones on the sunroof. They are probably backed up near the bottom of the drains and water is traveling along that pillar

I had that happen in a Chrysler van of mine. When it rained heavy, the door would fill up with water. Never did care to figure out why, I just drove out of my neighborhood with the door propped open slightly, and let it drain out as I drove out of the neighborhood. (closed the door before getting to the main road)

I didn't see any evidence of water coming in from the glass/top...it's not wet at either of the pillars either. The wettest spot is right under that path in the second pic, which starts under the door seal. I'll check the sunroof drains though, just hit them with compressed air? Any risk of blowing them apart or something?
It's an 05 Jeep Liberty by the way.

Last edited:
Since it is 14 years old it is possible the perimeter seals have been permanently compressed and no longer seal properly. That's what happened on my old Accord.

Get up underneath it, and see if there are any slotted drains. I use a coat hanger that I have straightened, and start fishing the drains. Leaves, dirt, sand, bugs, and pine needles just kept on coming on the last drains I cleaned out.

Wouldn't be a bad idea just to check the cowl drains as well but usually that will leave the front of the carpet near the firewall wet

Check the aft part of the wheel well as well as the door bottom. A missing screw on a splash guard? Lots of ways this can happen. Opening the inner door might show the path.

Update: I had a CB cable running through the door jamb that I took out, that could've been bringing water in. Been there a few years but never checked it till now I guess. Took out some of the trim under the dash and didn't see any signs of water along the "common" leak points for these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back