Changed oil 4 years ago but only drove 600 miles since. Change now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
223K mile 2003 Ford truck with a V10. Last changed oil in May 2015 with semi-syn CAM2 5W30 and Motorcraft filter. Should I change it now even if it looks clean and has only been driven 600 miles?

Last edited:
I'm by no means a rocket surgeon but with heat/cool cycles and condensate....four years worth? Go on and treat your trusty steed to an oil change and filter.

My self imposed limit w/o a UOA was 2 years, although occasionally I went a little longer. I'd change it.

Not driving it is the issue not the OCI.

How many miles a year and how much at a time?
5 miles?

How bout the fuel? Thats got to be toast.

Surely a dilemma.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I would either drive that truck more or sell it.

This in general, but take a sample and get a UOA, then we will all know the answer!

Originally Posted by atikovi
223K mile 2003 Ford truck with a V10. Last changed oil in May 2015 with semi-syn CAM2 5W30 and Motorcraft filter. Should I change it now even if it looks clean and has only been driven 600 miles?

Garage kept?...... a heated garage or unheated?
How many times in four years was it started and not road-run? How long did it idle (on average)?

This....but for reasons other than the oil. Is it insured and registered each year? Is it taking up storage space. Are you keeping it for sentimental reasons?

At 600 miles in 4 years (~150 miles/year) you might want to perform a cost analysis to evaluate its need and why you even have it. You can readily rent a truck for the times you apparently use a truck.

...and yeah that gas is beyond stale and varnishing/clogging up your fuel system. Must run like p00 whenever you start it.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so much worried about the oil as I would the fuel ... hope it's had fuel stabilizer in it and the gas has been removed and replaced regularly.
On the other hand, a friend of mine got a 96 Nissan pickup a year and a half ago that had been in storage for 10 years... it had about 42,800 miles on it and the oil was changed prior to storage according to the service records in the glove box and the sticker in the corner of the windshield... don't know about the fuel situation or how they took care of it in storage... truck was clean with normal dings about the body... it had a new battery on it... he filled it up and drove it the 150 or so miles home... it ran smooth, but the ride was rough from the original tires still being on it ! ... I bought it from him, put new tires on and changed the oil and filter... the oil still looked ok... but I was more worried about the oil filter after 10 years... anyway, put in a new air filter and used MMO in the fuel for a solid year... but never an issue, it's always started and run like a new one... Hope this truck will too !

Originally Posted by Smokescreen

This....but for reasons other than the oil. Is it insured and registered each year? Is it taking up storage space. Are you keeping it for sentimental reasons?

At 600 miles in 4 years (~150 miles/year) you might want to perform a cost analysis to evaluate its need and why you even have it. You can readily rent a truck for the times you apparently use a truck.

...and yeah that gas is beyond stale and varnishing/clogging up your fuel system. Must run like p00 whenever you start it.

Somehow I get the feeling that he bought the truck to flip and that's when the last oil change was. Even in that case, it's clear that it should be changed.

Originally Posted by CT8
You need to ask that question?

And did you need to ask him this question? Twice even!
crackmeup2.gif

As others have said, at this point the fuel is the problem, not the oil. I hope you put stabilizer in it.

Guys I think we'er getting ahead of ourselves here, he said he hasn't changed the oil in four years, I see nothing about him saying it hasn't been driven in four years.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
Guys I think we'er getting ahead of ourselves here, he said he hasn't changed the oil in four years, I see nothing about him saying it hasn't been driven in four years.

You're right, he didn't say that it hasn't been driven. He said that it's only been driven 600 miles in 4 years, which is barely even using the truck and which is the point everyone is making. Using a truck that little doesn't really raise oil concerns, but other maintenance concerns as well as probably being a waste of money through insurance/registration/etc.

In the original post he states he drove 600 miles over those four years.

I never got the milkshake under the oil fill cap when the engine was sitting. I did get the milkshake when driving very short trips in brutal cold weather.

In the original post he states he drove 600 miles over those four years.

My bad, I was referring to every one saying the gas was bad but we have no idea when it was driven last, could of been last week or a year ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back