Would you rather have three cars or two?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got 3 but I let my brother drive the Camry.

The Sonata does almost all the miles, the Jeep gets driven occasionally. It lives in the garage. Either my garage or at the mechanic's
crackmeup2.gif

3. That is why I got Toyota Sienna, so I can get myself next year BMW 335i or Audi S4 for pretty much anything, unless long trip with family.
There is no freaking way I would drive Toyota as only option every day.
As for ownership cost it is either:
3 vehicles with one of them being fun car for me.
OR
2 vehicles, one of them being super fun SUV that can meet family needs, but then maintenance costs would probably equal Sienna + fun car and still SUV is not fun as stick shift sporty car.
OR
Just VW Tiguan + Toyota Sienna+ paying shrink due to consequences of being stuck driving Toyota.

I am 38 and single.
I now use my Ninja to commute in the city and work and the suburbs.
It was my only motorcycle from 2009 until 2014 and have been used from long journeys to track days until that time.
2014 was the year to purchase the CBR - for a fun/trip bike.No city use for that (too heavy,not very comfortable riding position high consumption,overheating in summer) exept from special occations (e.g. The Ninja is at the repair shop)
And my old trusty Ford Fiesta (model 2005) mainly for the errands and big trip to the parents (1500kms to go and return) or journeys on rainy days - passengers etc.
So 1 car and 2 motorcycles for me serves me absolutely fine.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Originally Posted by Danno
When you live in a snowy, cold region, having a 3rd car would be a bother.

I thought a lot of people up north had a 3rd vehicle as a "winter" vehicle?

Depends. Most people I know don't, they seem to opt for a new AWD whatever every few years. Road salt means only DIY types bother with old vehicles--at some point it seems too expensive to keep a car too long, at least if you have pay others to do all the work.

2 drivers, 5 cars. Although my project car doesn't really count since it's been sitting and hasn't been driven for a few years now. But it does run and drive if I really needed it. So, 4 cars. I'm currently trying to drive the wheels off my old Accord. If/when it dies, I'll get rid of it and probably won't replace it and just drive the truck every day. But the car runs perfectly and shows no signs of dying any time soon. Don't want to sell it as it's hardly worth anything and it's more valuable to me as a practical and reliable car (and I just plain like the car). Plus, it's so ridiculously cheap to own it actually pays for itself in gas savings, even accounting for insurance and registration costs.

It's nice having extra cars so I can take my time on repairs. All of my cars are very reliable and don't often need repairs, but when they do, it's not uncommon to have it sitting in the garage taken apart for days, or sometimes even weeks at a time. I have very little free time these days, so I might get an hour of wrenching time one day, 15 minutes the following day, no time at all for the next 4 days, etc.

We've had 3 since my wife started working at the county seat 15 miles away and one has always been a 4x4. It's nice when one needs to see the mech we don't have to drive each other to work and around here a 4x4 is nice to have.

I hardly ever drive the wife's caddy but when it's in the shop she likes to drive the pickup because it was her dad's truck before he passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back