C5 Corvette owners - electrical gremilins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if anything have you guys done to your C5s to eliminate the gremlins? I've heard things like making sure all of the chassis grounds are clean, making sure the battery is strong, and keep the battery on a tender if the car is going to sit for more than 2 weeks at a time. Are there any other things that can be done to keep these car less quirky, electrically speaking?

I've had two and neither had anything weird in them. Short tire life was my primary issue. The electrical system on them is pretty simple compared to todays Vettes.

My wife corrected me, I did replace the A/C controller in the dash on the 02.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
I've had two and neither had anything weird in them. Short tire life was my primary issue. The electrical system on them is pretty simple compared to todays Vettes.

I have been afflicted with the same syndrome since acquiring the Hemi-powered vehicle I am currently driving. My best investigative efforts have narrowed down the most likely culprits to being either a sudden case of EOLF** or a string of defective tires purchased from varying shops around town.

Now, I do not believe the odds are very good that I would be continually getting defective tires from different shops in different cities, so I think I can rule that option out without affecting much. Which leaves me with contracting a serious case of EOLF as the main suspect in this disappearing tread crime. Your scenario sounds similar; I suspect you may have some EOLF as well. A visit to the proper treatment center would be advisable in that case.

The More You Know...
Nuke

** - Early Onset Lead Foot

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Have you had any after market electronics such as remote engine start or any other items installed?

I don't actually own one yet, but I will shortly...

Last edited:

Don't know what to tell you about the tire wear, other than maybe have a 4 wheel alignment done. I do know the tires for these cars are usually a soft compound so they aren't going to last as long as say regular touring tires, especially with an aggressive driving style...what year was your other C5?

Last edited:
The electronics in my 2000 WS6 and 2002 2500hd are about the same as the Corvette, coils, ECMs, ABS modules. I have not had any problems with any of them.
The guys I race with C5s have not complained about it either. The WS6 window switches, door looks and the like are made by the same place that makes the Vette stuff.
Standard GM fair.

Trans Am sits for months at time with no battery tender, starts right up no issues. Same electronics.

If you are talking to someone with electrical gremlins, they have something else going on. Most likely moisture.

I've had my C5 for just about a year now. No wonky electrics at all.

The only thing I would suggest is picking up an LMC5 module to completely bypass the electric column lock. $50 and an easy install. Check to make sure you don't have one installed already though. The previous owner of my car did me that favor, but I didn't realize until after ordering one. Good thing Amazon has a nice return policy.

Strong battery like an AGM or spiral gel cell, otherwise the electrical system should be pretty stout, that's post OBDII put pre extensive CANBUS implementation in American and most Asian cars. LS1's and LS2's were pretty good engine packages overall.

Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by Char Baby
Have you had any after market electronics such as remote engine start or any other items installed?

I don't actually own one yet, but I will shortly...

Oh sorry!
I misunderstood your post. Good luck.
smile.gif

Don't know what to tell you about the tire wear, other than maybe have a 4 wheel alignment done. I do know the tires for these cars are usually a soft compound so they aren't going to last as long as say regular touring tires, especially with an aggressive driving style...what year was your other C5?

IIRC it was a 98. Modded with headers and a cam/heads/tune it was quite fast! A very honest 11 second car with a frightening top end charge from about 80.

Nice! Was it an A4 or an M6?

Both of them were 6 speed manuals. I loved them, they were cheap track rats and seemed to love a good thrashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back