Calling all gen2 3.5 Ecoboost owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of really good stuff in here that quantifies what the truck actually does rather than a bunch of generalities. Applies to a lot of what the F150 is doing, regardless of engines too.

Interesting info: (to me anyways)
-Quantification of the fuel savings achieved through the use of start stop technology (which as expected varies depending on the drive cycle).
-Active Grille settings (which match much of what I have observed with mine over the years - a big one being the radiator shutters default to 30% open in sub freezing weather, not closed as so many believe).
-Quantification of differences in fuel economy with regular and premium fuels (these engines require 87 octane and recommend premium for towing and high performance)
-Quantification of fuel economy differences at temps other than the standard testing temp (cold and hot with A/C)

Among many, many others...

Great stuff if you are a nerd like me who likes understanding how the truck is operating...

I downloaded the file and look forward to reading through it. I have a Coyote but my next truck may have the Ecoboost and I just enjoy learning some of the more technical "stuff" when I can find it. Thanks for posting!

Excellent read, thanks for posting. I also found the mpg comparison between low and hi test interesting, and it corresponded with what I've seen = very little difference, BUT the driveability is sloppy on low octane fuel. between minute turbo lag, dbw, lots of gears to shift, and defueling mid-shift, it is unnerving to drive on 89 octane. The acceleration feels haphazard or even accidental. Drives smooth and true on high octane. Mixing it with low and high doesn't improve it either. 3/4 of the tank needs to be 93 for it to accelerate smoothly. I think some future owners, if they are in tune with their vehicle, will be disappointed with this.

Mine is a 2018 - I've never, ever, seen it go over 8th gear in tow mode, which differs from the article. 9-10 are also torque limited, essentially negating throttle inputs more than 1/4 or so.

They confirmed what I have felt to be excellent TC programming as well. I feel that thing starting to participate in 3rd.

I wish their towing simulation was a little more thorough. for a given weight, say 4900lbs, there's a huge difference between pulling a boat or a travel trailer. I was surprised to read 7% increase in towing mpg by leaving the trans in "normal" mode. I'm not sure I believe that would be such a big difference for a high-resistance pull, like a travel trailer.

Surprised! to see how much it relies on port injection, only using DI at higher demand. That answers the question about if it will need intake cleaning!

-m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back