Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40 vs. 5W-40 (SN+ Formulas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40 New Formula (API SN+): https://shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en/3c287a5e-728b-4e26-9ec3-4d5493b711a4.pdf
OEM Approvals: MB 229.5 and VW 502.00/505.00

Platinum Platinum Euro 5W-40 New Formula (API SN+): https://shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en/89db797b-d00c-4b95-8e28-cb5ffd24705f.pdf
OEM Approvals: MB 229.5, BMW LL-01, Porsche A40, VW 502.00/505.00, Chrysler MS-10725/MS-12991, Fiat 9.55535.Z2

Here are my questions:

1) I am currently using Mobil 1 0W-40 for my customers who require a 229.5 approved oil. Is there any reason to switch to either of the Pennzoil Platinum Euro Oils?
2) Is there any advantage (or disadvantage) to using the Platinum Euro 0W-40 instead of the 5W-40? It is a lot easier for me to obtain the 0W-40.
3) Any idea on why Platinum Euro 0W-40 is unable to obtain Porsche A40 approval?

Last edited:
Why not Castrol

Castrol EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4 meets a host of licensing requirements and specifications: API SN, API SM, API SL, API SJ, API CF, ACEA A3/B3, ACEA A3/B4
BMW Longlife-01
Meets Ford WSS-M2C937-A
MB-Approval 229.3/ 229.5
Porsche A40
VW 502 00/ 505 00

No 1: Not unless you have a few BMW's in your customer bases.

No 2 No 3: IMO this is simply a marketing decision where Pennzoil has opted to offer a slightly different Euro 40 weight to compete with M1 and Castrol.

IMO I'd stick with M1 unless you get a lot of BMW customers who want an LL01.

I have not seen Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40 on the shelf in months (but seeing there is a new SN+ version tells me why WM cleared out the SN @ $10.00 per jug). I do not think there is enough of a driver to flip from M1 to Pennzoil (or Castrol) unless your customer base is asking for it OR you have detected an issue with M1 in certain cars. You could offer the Pennzoil (or Castrol) as an option, but I would "guess" that M1 is your best seller.

I agree it's most likely a marketing decision or to appeal to the wishes of the OEM's.

For example, my VW specs 502 00 but the manual says to use a 5w-30 or 5w-40. I've used a 0w-30 and a 0w-40 that meets the spec, not the grade. I know better but following a VW forum it confuses the masses. Some consumers buy by grade only and most of us here buy the spec.

It seems the 0W40 is using a thin base oil with a lot of VII, hence the hi VI.

Maybe 5W40 is best seller (at least in Europe it is) so Shell/Sopus might not bother getting more approvals for the 0W40 ? Is the A40 cert tougher than MB 229.5 ?
Or maybe there are some marketing considerations behind, Shell being the BMW oil supplier, etc. Wild guessing here, curious to hear other opinions.

From your logistical point of view, don't know how "nightmaresque" it could be but you could offer it along M1 as an option...also Castrol 0W40 ! But then you'll risk to have customers asking for the difference between all these oils, lol !

Originally Posted by The Critic
1) I am currently using Mobil 1 0W-40 for my customers who require a 229.5 approved oil. Is there any reason to switch to either of the Pennzoil Platinum Euro Oils?
Only if you care about the risk of LSPI in your customer's cars. The SN+ rating on the Pennz oils show it resists LSPI. Its a small risk, probably. Technically, if an oil meets the required specs, that's all you need. No more than that So no advantage practically.
2) Is there any advantage (or disadvantage) to using the Platinum Euro 0W-40 instead of the 5W-40? It is a lot easier for me to obtain the 0W-40.
Use the easiest-to-get, cheapest oil you can find that officially meets the engine's specs. That excludes BMW, Porsche, and any low-saps applications if using the 0w40. The 5w40 is kinda "German-universal" for A3/B4 engines anyway.
3) Any idea on why Platinum Euro 0W-40 is unable to obtain Porsche A40 approval?
Originally Posted by Popsy
It seems the 0W40 is using a thin base oil with a lot of VII, hence the hi VI.
Porsche A40 may need more shear stability, and that high VII-chemical oil might not make it.

Can we all just be awed that the new PP 5w40 has almost the same viscosity ratings as the Castrol 0w40?

Code
New PP 5w40 Castrol 0w40

@100C - 12.8 13.2

@40C - 75.7 74

shocked2.gif

Originally Posted by Garak
I'm not sure that I'd view the revelation that two functionally interchangeable lubricants share similar viscometrics with awe.
wink.gif

I agree, and 12.8 to 13.2 really isn't that close either.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Only if you care about the risk of LSPI in your customer's cars. The SN+ rating on the Pennz oils show it resists LSPI.
Open question for all:

Out of curiosity, how many vehicles specified to use 229.5 habitually have issues with LSPI?

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Only if you care about the risk of LSPI in your customer's cars. The SN+ rating on the Pennz oils show it resists LSPI.
Open question for all:

Out of curiosity, how many vehicles specified to use 229.5 habitually have issues with LSPI?

None.

This is an interesting oil and could be a very good fit for DI Turbo 5W-30 applications like in Ford Ecoboost's 3.5l V6's. Is this oil on the shelf yet?and has anyone seen a VOA posted?

Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40 New Formula (API SN+): https://shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en/3c287a5e-728b-4e26-9ec3-4d5493b711a4.pdf

Platinum Platinum Euro 5W-40 New Formula (API SN+): https://shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en/89db797b-d00c-4b95-8e28-cb5ffd24705f.pdf

Okay I will admit it, it is just me who has great difficulty finding the SHELL technical data sheets for Pennzoil oils
blush.gif

How and where to find TDS for any Pennzoil oil in a shell url?

(shell-livedocs.com takes me to a site where one must sign in
frown.gif
)

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by Garak
I'm not sure that I'd view the revelation that two functionally interchangeable lubricants share similar viscometrics with awe.
wink.gif

I agree, and 12.8 to 13.2 really isn't that close either.

I'd say 0.4cSt on 13 is pretty small. 3%? I'm tired.

6% is decent for most low cost analytical work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back