My new sauce: Shell Fire & Ice 10w-50 SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weird how two people, around the same tme, could have such different experiences with the same product!

Popular Mechanics Shell SUPER X 10W-50

Note the recommendation for towing in the article. This worked well in an 8.2L engine for a dozen years (as above) where the combination of tow vehicle and trailer was well in excess of 13,000-lbs. A bit of history for those who remember the last moments of cheap gasoline (mid-1973).

Valve float on that engine series was 4,200-rpm, and the rear gears (towing package) were 3.21. Ran all day at above 3,000 (7-8 mpg). Solo was 12-14 hwy (in the 55 mpg era).

Yeah, I should have kept it. I was going through a ton of oil in a bunch of cars then, and I don't like to waste stuff. More value as a collectible though.

Easy to lose track of just how old some these threads are.

But, since we're ribbin' ya, you REALLY should have kept some as a collectible....posted pics of the cans....10W-50 was a oddball grade that you don't see at all these days, and even collector cans of it are rare!

:p

Originally Posted By: TheTanSedan
Popular Mechanics Shell SUPER X 10W-50

Note the recommendation for towing in the article. This worked well in an 8.2L engine for a dozen years (as above) where the combination of tow vehicle and trailer was well in excess of 13,000-lbs. A bit of history for those who remember the last moments of cheap gasoline (mid-1973).

Valve float on that engine series was 4,200-rpm, and the rear gears (towing package) were 3.21. Ran all day at above 3,000 (7-8 mpg). Solo was 12-14 hwy (in the 55 mpg era).

I've just got to add...that article is an AWESOME piece of 'oil nostalgia' that really shows just how much oils have changed in the last 40 years.

I did get a kick out of Popular Mechanic's discussion of VII's. They were saying that the typical polymethacrylate, polyacrylate, and polyolefin VII's of the day were too prone to shearing, and would break down within 1500 miles of driving. Shell's big improvement was development of a more shear-stable VII composed of polyaromatic hydrocarbons. Sounds like discussion that comes up on BITOG regularly, doesn't it?

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I used Shell Fire&Ice 10W-40 A few times back in the day. But mostly ran Quaker State Sterling. Never tried the 10W-50 though. Heck, I never even heard of that grade back then.

Last edited:
Back in the late 70s I scored a case of STP 10W-50 and used it in a 351 I had in a Falcon station wagon, never had any problem... The engine was from a junk Torino GT, and after the Falcon expired, was sold to a buddy who installed it in a Stang...

I thought i was being adventerous when i topped off my 2003 sable with SL spec Shoprite 10W30, you sir take the cake AJ...hats off to ya for doing this even tho it was in 2005.

hows the vehicle running now?

[Linked Image]

Hey guys, First post here. I got 8 unopened quarts of this Shell Fire & Ice 20w-50 for free this weekend. I see pics of cans can't find any other images of these specific bottles I have. From info I've collated, this oil is at least 30 years old. Is it crazy to use this stuff?

I used that crap in a engine that I had just rebuilt sometime around 1981. I had spent thousands on machine work at the speed shop and it only took Fire & Ice a week to start the rod bearings slothing off layers of babbit. I replaced the whole set of bearings with Clevite 77's and a change of Kendall racing oil. No issues for years after that.
Use it to fire a waste oil heater.
15.gif

Originally Posted by Piston_slap
I used that crap in a engine that I had just rebuilt sometime around 1981. I had spent thousands on machine work at the speed shop and it only took Fire & Ice a week to start the rod bearings slothing off layers of babbit. I replaced the whole set of bearings with Clevite 77's and a change of Kendall racing oil. No issues for years after that.
Use it to fire a waste oil heater.
15.gif

Well you have just provided evidence you don't know what your talking about congrats this is not a easy feat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back