Which 229.5 Mercedes spec oil for a 2011 Smart Fortwo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Locally available 5W40 prefered or maybe 0W40. Mobil 1 says to use Formula M or FS whatever that means. Can regular M1 synthetic be used? Any other brands with that spec?

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Just consult the MB sheets for a list, it's quite extensive for MB 229.5. https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_en.html
Nice use of the bevo list! That is handy. You can put any Mercedes spec number in the little box.
With low-sulphur gasoline in the U.S. now, MB 229.52 will be the one you want in your ForTwo from now on. Any Ravenol or Mobil1 that meets that on the bevo list would be my choice for 229.52. https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.52_en.html

In fact: "Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-30, 5W-40 or 5W-50 viscosity and oil that meets MB-Approval 229.5 or MB-Approval 229.51. Your engine oil capacity is approximately 3.5 quarts. We offer these motor oils to help protect your vehicle. The recommended oil filter is M1-108/M1-108A" is what Mobil says you can use. I think 229.52 replaces 229.51 these days though. Your Owner's Manual from 2011 might say the same thing.

Have fun with the ForTwo! People don't understand how much fun small cars are to drive until they drive one. Like a Ford Fiesta, or the Mazda2 I drove as a rental a few years ago, they are a blast.

Last edited:
Yes, you got it, well, if that's what FS means, but you have the right oil in mind. They just call it M1 0w-40 FS. I suppose Castrol's way of calling it Castrol Edge 0w-40 A3/B4 (or Castrol Edge 5w-30 C3/dexos2 or Castrol Edge 0w-30 A3/B4) makes too much sense.

I like the OEM look myself.

[Linked Image]

I really wanted one of the newer wider Smarts with the manual trans and turbo 3. I drove a used one a few years ago, then a new Cruz turbo and like the Smart handing better. The Cruze handled like a pig. But the Smart manumatuc was not good - at least on that sample. Plus it had "fall apart" interior bits. What is it with Swedish and French plastics?

Wife would let me get it - though I would have if I really wanted to
smile.gif

I was going to try Carvana since there were no late model stick Smarts near me. They would take away my old Rogue for $6700- and deliver the 2 year old Smart for $13K. for a Net $6300- out of my pocket

Check out the smart factory video on Youtuba . As modern as you can get, Plus you can see the car parts as its assembled. Cool.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
New Smart are made by Renault, you can look at the Renault Twingo, they share a lot of the interior and powertrain (sadly for the interior...).

On my gf's Smart, engine was quieter with Petronas Syntium 7000 0w40 oil (I think Petronas is one of Mercedes suppliers), which is a thin 40, but it's not readily available in the US, lol
Granted, not same engine but same series from Mitsubishi on yours (?), I'd rather use a w30 oil with 229.5. Or Castrol 0w40. As arbitrary as it sounds, her engine sounded best with Castrol than M1 or the current SHU.

Originally Posted by atikovi
OK now I get it I think. The FS is short for Full Synthetic.

Right, as opposed to all other M1 grades which are fake synthetic by comparison?
lol.gif

But then both full synthetic and fake synthetic have the same abbreviation. LOL.

And you know this how?

It is far more likely it means Full SAPS.

Originally Posted by kschachn

And you know this how?

It is far more likely it means Full SAPS.

I said years ago it's for [expletive] Shell because Shell stole some factory fill business.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back