Yamaha R1 on the Autobahn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like well disciplined operators & slower traffic keep to the right.
Novel & useful Germanic ideas. : )
I was concerned with buffeting when he closed/.drafted/passed the towed RV.........

After crusing at 13K RPM for awhile, it sounds like its idling when he slows down to around 5K RPM. Just think about what's going on inside that engine at WOT and sustained near redline that could probably do it for hours. The bike engineers know how to make 'em take abuse.

Yes it is fun and yes it can be dangerous if you get careless on the road or fast and loose with maintenance on the machine. Riding those roads at high speed demands a special skill set and a lot of experience.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
No rant and it's probably fun and legal but all I can think of is if one tiny thing goes wrong.....

All I can think is why don't we have unlimited roads here in the US? The answer might be found in your comment. Even car and bike enthusiasts here seem to fear it.

When I participated in car forums some of those guys would build the crap out of their cars and get high dyno numbers, yet seemed to think driving 100MPH was a big deal--yeah I get that the bike showed 299km/h which is probably faster than most of us have driven or ridden. But if Americans with fast cars and bikes don't even think 100MPH should be legal we're not gonna get unlimited in the US again, like in the old days https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ana-last-states-full-freedom/2947782002/

Been awhile since I've driven unlimited roads in Germany. My daughter even has a car there.

45 years of riding-no car crashes. 2 Dogs tho, almost killed me both times. Wildlife don't give a [censored] where they cross.

Combining the easy availability of really fast cars and bikes to anyone with some money and the low skill level of many US drivers I'm not sure unlimited roads would be a good idea. The Autobahns are built for extreme speed and maintained to a high standard, how many US roads would qualify?

He needs a faster bike.
smile.gif

Stock engine, with the speed limiter removed by reflashing the ECU, some slip-on mufflers that really don't do anything but make more noise, and a 2-tooth smaller rear sprocket. Some of the laziest shifting and acceleration I've ever seen in a top speed video, but he does take it up to over 207 mph.

When I lived in Switzerland I got to spend some quality time on the Autobahn. The standard of driving there is faaaaaaaaaaar better than it is here in the States, with people busy texting their BFF...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back