Recent Topics
storm door installation question
by FirstNissan - 02/22/20 12:13 AM
Kirkland VS M1
by A_Spruce - 02/21/20 11:24 PM
Ryan Newman bar
by P10crew - 02/21/20 10:16 PM
Good aftermarket shocks and struts?
by Micahmcmeen - 02/21/20 09:49 PM
Oil Marketing
by Mathew_Boss - 02/21/20 09:45 PM
run to your walmart NOW!
by willow - 02/21/20 09:39 PM
When redundancy goes out the window
by Exhaustgases - 02/21/20 08:34 PM
Please help me decide....
by ecureed - 02/21/20 08:03 PM
Flywheel pic
by Chris142 - 02/21/20 07:49 PM
Rislone Hyper Fuel
by rrretiree7 - 02/21/20 07:40 PM
Bosch Brakes
by ChiTDI - 02/21/20 07:16 PM
Which 15W40 for an Onan generator?
by atikovi - 02/21/20 06:39 PM
Valvoline Advanced 5W40 MST
by BurntMusic - 02/21/20 06:04 PM
2014 F250, 6.7L 13,000 OCI Amsoil AME 15w40
by claluja - 02/21/20 05:43 PM
What Are These On My Caliper Pistons?
by Fitz98 - 02/21/20 05:37 PM
Gun carry insurance
by Colt - 02/21/20 05:25 PM
drywall crack. how do i fix it?
by WhyMe - 02/21/20 02:55 PM
Yokohama AVID Ascend GT
by Bottom_Feeder - 02/21/20 02:53 PM
Getting my Chevy 4.3 to 300k
by CharlotteB - 02/21/20 02:16 PM
Newest Members
Hubbs1982, AW4BYT, YOUSSEF, b3e3, Bogdon
70775 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
47 registered members (Blkstanger, c502cid, blufeb95, bbhero, Bogdon, BusyLittleShop, 3 invisible), 1,385 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics301,768
Posts5,202,386
Members70,775
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Mint Mobile mini-review and discount [Re: Padawan] #5110488 05/20/19 05:32 PM
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,704
A
alarmguy Offline
Offline
A
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,704
Just discussing here, hope to help others looking into alternative ways of having cell service.

1. The prices you are quoting Mint Mobile such as $20 a month for 8 gigs of LTE speeds are for those who pay for a non refundable 12 months in advance.
This goes for all of their plans, so in essence you are committing to that amount of time in this case 12 months, much like a contract phone, there is no way out, much like a contract phone. You can not even change the type of service with Mint until those 12 months are used up.
2. Mint uses Tmobile towers/service and typically are little less expensive then Verizon and ATT.
Also keep in mind and this is a BIG one for mint mobile, you WILL be charged for roaming so if you forget to turn off roaming on your phone things can add up fast for some people.
3. I would be curious as to what the actual payment comes out to, as they have additional fees and taxes.

Ok, here is why I went with Red Pocket.
1. Im on ATT service which I much prefer, even over verizon.
2. Monthly billing cycle so I can cancel any time I want and not be held to losing up to a years worth of monthly payments. This is my main reason to not have a contract phone to begin with and why I did not bother to even take Red Pockets year plan in which I would only save $10 a month.
Its simply month to month charged to my cc card, cancel anytime, no loss.

3. No add on charges such as roaming (that I experienced anyway)

4. For me, 3 gigs of lte service is too little and 8 gigs too much. But one very well may be able to mange with 3.

5. Bottom line as I pointed out, Red Pocket, ATT service, month to month, cancel anytime without losing money. unlimited everything, 5gigs high speed LTE per line,
we have 3 lines total and our actual total monthly payment is $70.40 a month.

6. Only negative I can think of with Redpocket is for the less tech savy, you may have to jump through a few hoops if you have trouble porting your phone. I cant speak for Mint.

7. I previously came from Cricket, for the less tech savy, hand holding might be better, though the data isnt as fast (most likely wont notice)

Its important for anyone choosing service to read the terms and conditions (fees) before committing to more then a month at a time, since my plan is month to month, no big deal, nothing to lose but if you grab one of these 3,6 or 12 month plans and find out your going to be charged for roaming and you live in an area where you need it, which is possible with Tmobile or any carrier, you will not get a refund for everything you paid in advance.

With monthly plan, no loss, you can cancel anytime if any unpleasant surprises, for me with mint or any provider I would not chance paying in advance until you confirmed that you are paying for the service that you think you are, give it a good 6 months if you plan on prepaying long into the future, at $70 I feel I have a great value in the month to month with Redpocket and have never had an extra change added to my bill in the over one year that I have used them.

Ps, no I dodnt work for Red Pocket :o)

Last edited by alarmguy; 05/20/19 05:43 PM.

14 Road King (current)
08 VStar 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50
Re: Mint Mobile mini-review and discount [Re: alarmguy] #5111715 05/21/19 07:09 PM
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 349
P
Padawan Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 349
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Just discussing here, hope to help others looking into alternative ways of having cell service.

1. The prices you are quoting Mint Mobile such as $20 a month for 8 gigs of LTE speeds are for those who pay for a non refundable 12 months in advance.
This goes for all of their plans, so in essence you are committing to that amount of time in this case 12 months, much like a contract phone, there is no way out, much like a contract phone. You can not even change the type of service with Mint until those 12 months are used up.
2. Mint uses Tmobile towers/service and typically are little less expensive then Verizon and ATT.
Also keep in mind and this is a BIG one for mint mobile, you WILL be charged for roaming so if you forget to turn off roaming on your phone things can add up fast for some people.
3. I would be curious as to what the actual payment comes out to, as they have additional fees and taxes.

Ok, here is why I went with Red Pocket.
1. Im on ATT service which I much prefer, even over verizon.
2. Monthly billing cycle so I can cancel any time I want and not be held to losing up to a years worth of monthly payments. This is my main reason to not have a contract phone to begin with and why I did not bother to even take Red Pockets year plan in which I would only save $10 a month.
Its simply month to month charged to my cc card, cancel anytime, no loss.

3. No add on charges such as roaming (that I experienced anyway)

4. For me, 3 gigs of lte service is too little and 8 gigs too much. But one very well may be able to mange with 3.

5. Bottom line as I pointed out, Red Pocket, ATT service, month to month, cancel anytime without losing money. unlimited everything, 5gigs high speed LTE per line,
we have 3 lines total and our actual total monthly payment is $70.40 a month.

6. Only negative I can think of with Redpocket is for the less tech savy, you may have to jump through a few hoops if you have trouble porting your phone. I cant speak for Mint.

7. I previously came from Cricket, for the less tech savy, hand holding might be better, though the data isnt as fast (most likely wont notice)

Its important for anyone choosing service to read the terms and conditions (fees) before committing to more then a month at a time, since my plan is month to month, no big deal, nothing to lose but if you grab one of these 3,6 or 12 month plans and find out your going to be charged for roaming and you live in an area where you need it, which is possible with Tmobile or any carrier, you will not get a refund for everything you paid in advance.

With monthly plan, no loss, you can cancel anytime if any unpleasant surprises, for me with mint or any provider I would not chance paying in advance until you confirmed that you are paying for the service that you think you are, give it a good 6 months if you plan on prepaying long into the future, at $70 I feel I have a great value in the month to month with Redpocket and have never had an extra change added to my bill in the over one year that I have used them.

Ps, no I dodnt work for Red Pocket :o)


They're definitely two good, low-cost solutions, and most folks could save a bunch of money with either provider. I was actually considering trying Red Pocket's AT&T plan as well since I came from AT&T Prepaid, but for now I'm happy with Mint, and it's still less expensive for me overall (which was my primary goal).

Just one correction:

"Also keep in mind and this is a BIG one for mint mobile, you WILL be charged for roaming so if you forget to turn off roaming on your phone things can add up fast for some people."

This isn't actually correct. Mint, like Red Pocket, does not offer any domestic roaming. If you're outside the coverage area, you won't have any service with either provider, but you won't get billed any roaming charges. You may be referring to international roaming, which Red Pocket doesn't currently offer, but is optional for added cost with Mint if you really need it.


Re: Mint Mobile mini-review and discount [Re: Padawan] #5113075 05/23/19 04:52 AM
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,704
A
alarmguy Offline
Offline
A
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,704
Originally Posted by Padawan
[quote=alarmguy]
Just one correction:

"Also keep in mind and this is a BIG one for mint mobile, you WILL be charged for roaming so if you forget to turn off roaming on your phone things can add up fast for some people."

This isn't actually correct. Mint, like Red Pocket, does not offer any domestic roaming. If you're outside the coverage area, you won't have any service with either provider, but you won't get billed any roaming charges. You may be referring to international roaming, which Red Pocket doesn't currently offer, but is optional for added cost with Mint if you really need it.



Yes it is correct.
Hey, dont want to seem like I am discounting Mint in anyway. I just read the Terms and Conditions of phone plans :o) and its possible Red Pocket and everyone else has situations in the terms and conditions that may or may not happen.
We all choose what works for us and I love saving money for the same exact service I used to pay $100 MORE a month for, heck some people pay $70 a month for one line, I pay actual payment $70.40 for THREE lines and your pricing is much the same.

Ok, anyway, my previous post where you said it wasnt correct, here it is directly from Mint Mobiles website, no big deal, heck, I dont remember Rd Pockets terms (or anyone elses for more then a few days, I just pick what works for me :o)

"8.11 Roaming. Your Device may connect to another provider’s network (“Roaming”) even when you are within the Mint Mobile coverage area. Check your Device to determine if you are Roaming. There may be extra charges (including long distance, tolls, data usage) and higher rates for Roaming usage, and your quality and availability of service may vary significantly. Our Roaming charges and rates are subject to change at any time and any such changes are effective forty-five (45) days after the posting of same to the Mint Mobile website. Please check our website frequently so that you are aware of our Roaming charges and rates and any changes thereto."

Source click here

Last edited by alarmguy; 05/23/19 04:53 AM.

14 Road King (current)
08 VStar 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50
Re: Mint Mobile mini-review and discount [Re: Padawan] #5113173 05/23/19 06:38 AM
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,792
M
madRiver Offline
Offline
M
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,792
Do the MVO providers like red... and mint warn you when you are about to get charged outside plan via text?

Verizon does and I find it extremely useful. I always am interested in cheaper options. I have three phones on Verizon sharing 12GB costing $40/phone. The coverage is incredible however if we trave(off wifi at work/home)l we seem to eat up the 12GB and throttled down to .6MBPS for "free". Always open for options.


Re: Mint Mobile mini-review and discount [Re: alarmguy] #5114839 05/24/19 06:27 PM
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 349
P
Padawan Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 349
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Yes it is correct.
Hey, dont want to seem like I am discounting Mint in anyway. I just read the Terms and Conditions of phone plans :o) and its possible Red Pocket and everyone else has situations in the terms and conditions that may or may not happen.


I suspect the language you're quoting in the Mint Terms and Conditions was put there by a legal team in an attempt to cover any foreseeable scenario. References to roaming also appear in Red Pocket's Terms and Conditions, and as you know, Red Pocket does not charge for, nor does it even offer, domestic roaming. Someone reading Red Pocket's Terms would likely think they would be charged extra for everything from checking a voicemail to sending a text message.

A. Generally. You are responsible for paying all charges, including but not limited to: airtime, access, features, voice mail access, voice mail delivery, data usage, text messages, downloadable content, alerts, roaming, long distance, directory and operator assistance charges, the price of Devices and accessories, charges for other goods and services and shipping/handling fees. You will be billed at domestic airtime or roaming rates (please refer to rate card) for 800, 866, 877, 888, and other "toll free" calls. Applicable international charges will always be billed for direct dial calls placed from your Device.

When I indicated that the statement about roaming was incorrect, I was speaking from a real-world standpoint, where neither Mint nor Red Pocket currently offers or bills for domestic roaming.

I hope it doesn't seem as though I'm being argumentative, I just want to ensure that folks have access to accurate info. At the end of the day, they're both great services with pros and cons for each, and either of them is a great alternative to expensive post-paid plans from the big carriers.

Re: Mint Mobile mini-review and discount [Re: Padawan] #5115248 05/25/19 08:06 AM
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,704
A
alarmguy Offline
Offline
A
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,704
Understand, Im not being argumentative either, was just pointing out the official company Conditions which is the only source of information. But read my next post to madriver, yes, forums, its easy to take someones owrds as argumentative. I want to STRESS, they are all good!
MINT, REDPOCKET, CRICKET, already posted why I am with Redpocket now.

Last edited by alarmguy; 05/25/19 08:07 AM.

14 Road King (current)
08 VStar 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50
Re: Mint Mobile mini-review and discount [Re: madRiver] #5115257 05/25/19 08:22 AM
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,704
A
alarmguy Offline
Offline
A
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,704
Originally Posted by madRiver
Do the MVO providers like red... and mint warn you when you are about to get charged outside plan via text?

Verizon does and I find it extremely useful. I always am interested in cheaper options. I have three phones on Verizon sharing 12GB costing $40/phone. The coverage is incredible however if we trave(off wifi at work/home)l we seem to eat up the 12GB and throttled down to .6MBPS for "free". Always open for options.



Is that your ACTUAL payment? $120.00 a month or is it more like $139.00 or more a month for 3 lines actual payment?

Now to answer your question.
Redpocket does NOT offer roaming so you will not be charged, Redpocket DOES recommend disabling roaming on your phone for better performance. I checked my unlocked phone that I run REDPOCKET /ATT on and it was already turned off.
So you get no text warning, because there is no roaming.

To me Verizon isnt any better then REDPOCKET/ATT at least in South Carolina. This whole roaming thing is BS in most every case. With ATT or Verizon, there is either a tower in the area or not.
MY ATT REDPOCKET PHONE WORKS THE SAME AND BETTER THEN MY VERIZON WORK PROVIDED PHONE.
Many times in the middle of nowhere when no Verizon signal my redpocket ATT phone works just fine, others times its the other way around but rare.

I dont know how such a statement can be made any stronger, here you have someone who uses both services EVERY working day of the week and actually prefers REDPOCKET/ATT over Verizon.
I also prefered ATT/Cricket over Verizon
I also prefered ATT/Straighttalk over Verizon.

I am glad there are so many people who are afraid/dont believe or cant afford to buy there own phones and go to monthly no contract phones. If everyone did, prices would rise. Its the most stupid simple thing in the world ... ah ha... but MARKETING (like Mobile 1 over Super Tech) *L* people.

So again, for us, we buy our phones, we pay for phone service on a monthly basis much like ANYTHING in life, we do not sign contracts and we get ATT unlimited everything, text, talk, unlimited data( 5 gigs per line lte speeds per month) cell phone service for a ACTUAL PAYMENT of $70.40 PER MONTH FOR THREE LINES.

Ok, here is another stupid simple comment. WHAT THE HECK DO YOU HAVE TO LOSE?

When we went to no contract phones, we simply bought a cheap phone and kept our contract phones. So we paid for an extra phone for 2 months or so. Once I was sure, I switch our phones over. That is the part that drives me nuts, NO one has anything to lose if they are curious, just go do it, THERE IS NO CONTRACT, this is a problem Americans cant get out of their head, most of the world is no contract as it is.

When the heck did American people start signing 2 year contracts for a phone?
The day the cell phones companies told then it was "free" now how silly is that, free? BOUND by contract for two YEARS FOR A PHONE SERVICE?

Take non of the above as anything but trying to help, I am soooo passionate on the subject. We as Americans have been trained to sign contracts for two years, in order to have a phone we can not afford, if you could afford it, then why do you sign an iron clad contract with no way out, no matter how bad the service for two years?

Last edited by alarmguy; 05/25/19 08:35 AM.

14 Road King (current)
08 VStar 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50
Re: Mint Mobile mini-review and discount [Re: Padawan] #5117032 05/27/19 07:17 AM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 14,470
R
Rand Offline
Offline
R
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 14,470
Reading this to see if anything is new.

I was on cricket for 3 years.. loved their service coming from verizon it was less than half price.

Currently on google fi with a bunch of credit left so looking to make a move in 2 months or so.
Ended up with 6-7months of free service with pixel 3 purchase back in december.. which started on second bill.

We have 2 lines.. usually use 1GB- 3GB per line. never over 5GB for 2 lines(combined)

all 4 have decent service at my house but Tmob has issues with building penetration although not as bad as previous years (lower frequency towers now?)

Sprint is just slow, they have ok voice service though.

Once you get out in the country AT&T and Verizon have better service less dead spots
, but my current google fi service is markedly improved vs when I had tmob and sprint 4 years ago.
Example: I still get service while mowing hillsides out in the country which used to have no service on their networks.

I do take occasional trips to Canada so something that roams there or has cheap roaming would be a plus.

For example with cricket if you jump up to their $50 plan it includes all mexico and Canada talk text and Data.
you can change plan when you get there and change back when you leave so it would cost me around $10 extra for 2 phones per week.


2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 2.0T
2020 Hyundai Elantra "Value Edition"
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™