Chinese phone scam calls have stopped?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope they have been shut down, haven't heard anything tho. I was getting 3-4 a day, none in 4 days now.

Now
Originally Posted by rekit
I hope they have been shut down, haven't heard anything tho. I was getting 3-4 a day, none in 4 days now.

Now that you mention it, same here. Call history shows it's been quiet since Thursday.

I get spam calls in bursts. It'll be quiet for a week then one random Monday I'll get 5 calls in a row. So annoying.

Not so much the Chinese scam calls, but the other ones, typically with an Indian person on the other end of the lines come in frequently. I will sometimes deliberately keep them on the line for 30 minutes or more, just to waste their time and jerk them around.

Heck, I even set up a cheap Linux computer that I configured to look just like Windows 7, which I will turn on every so often to see how far they'll go to try to scam me. It's fun to watch them fumble around trying to figure out why they can't make it work like a normal Windows 7 box.

Mine are mostly "Hilton Hotel" or "Hyatt Vacation Club", and this morning a robotic voice about social security office.

I usually answer and ask them who are they, do they know the owner of the phone, it is found in a crime scene and I'm an officer.

How do you know these calls are Chinese?

I've been getting scam calls daily for a few days now. The Hiya app on my phone says they are a scam so I decline them.

I get them all the time and yeah it's been fairly quiet this week. The irritating part is it's a robot and you can't even waste their time or buy anything if I wanted to.

If you have answered these calls then you have been tagged.

If any call is not in my contact list I don't answer it. They can send me a text if it's important.

Originally Posted by PimTac

If any call is not in my contact list I don't answer it. They can send me a text if it's important.

Hard to get a text on a landline. Why do people assume you're calling them from a cellphone and get angry because you didn't respond to a text they sent?

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by PimTac

Hard to get a text on a landline. Why do people assume you're calling them from a cellphone and get angry because you didn't respond to a text they sent?

Landlines are scarcely used anymore out west. I know of one person who uses a landline. Everyone uses smartphones. Only businesses have landlines and they ID themselves on the smartphone. Way back when I had a landline I let the caller ID and answering machine handle the junk calls.

I've noticed the same with heating oil. Hardly anyone here uses it but it's still popular back east.

They would leave a voicemail in Mandarin. But here's the deal-I set my Android to only calls from contact list and they get through long enough to leave a vm. So I set it to only vm from contacts-they get through and leave a vm. Then I missed a call from someone that was not in my contact list that a friend had passed away.....

When I was on call for my work, it was impossible to get some rest cuz of spam calls. And you could only miss 2 calls i(AWOL) in your entire career.
I googled these calls and they are nationwide. It's usually a scheme aimed at Chinese that they need to get with the Consulate or get deported, or they need to pickup a package as part of this BS. That's why my vm usually started with a DHL Delivery announcement.

Like I have heard, the next big war won't be so much fighters and ships, but technology. Power Grids, Banks, Communication. Not going to be safe anywhere.

Jason calls me everyday to tell me about how much I need a medical alert bracelet. Called me twice this PM. And Rachel calls me almost everyday about my credit card account.And every week I get a call about the warranty on my fifteen year old vehicle about to expire.These companies have found a way to get around NO MO ROBO CALLS I use from Spectrum(Times/Warner). That app catches a lot of robo calls after the first ring, but I can depend on hearing from Jason and Rachel ever day or so.

Set your cell phone to forward unanswered calls to your US Senator or Congressional rep's Washington DC phone number. Only answer phone calls from numbers/people you recognize. Everything else will be forwarded with the SPAM dialer's number -and maybe our elected officials will get the message.

https://www.senate.gov/senators/contact

https://www.congress.gov/members?q=%7B%22congress%22%3A116%7D

I typed too soon, they are calling with a vengence again........

Originally Posted by RayCJ

Set your cell phone to forward unanswered calls to your US Senator or Congressional rep's Washington DC phone number. Only answer phone calls from numbers/people you recognize. Everything else will be forwarded with the SPAM dialer's number -and maybe our elected officials will get the message.

https://www.senate.gov/senators/contact

https://www.congress.gov/members?q=%7B%22congress%22%3A116%7D

You are getting spammed so you decide to spam someone else. It's laughable you think the government can solve this problem.

Put teeth back into "Do Not Call".

Also make phony caller ID illegal. If someone injects a false number into the system it can be traced back to the phone company that let them do it. I don't even care about the caller, they are hit and run nobodies. Fine the phone companies and it will stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back