What’s the best price for a set

Status
Not open for further replies.
Price depends on size.

Researched low end tires for my girlfriend. Starfire Solarus. Priced like a Chinese tire but they're Coopers and made in Mississippi. She ordered 'em from Walmart. Not the greatest tire in the world but very quiet and hopefully they'll at least be the equivalent of the OEM Kumhos. I told her to pull the trigger because I expect the cost will go up greatly without the Chinese competition. Plus if tariffs stop a Chinese tire from getting imported and you have to replace one, then the availability of this one is more of a sure thing.

simpletire dot com
tire-easy dot com
onlinetires dot com
walmart
amazon?

May be older stock (1-3 maybe even more, date of manufacturing; you will only find out when you receive them)

You want new tires, or used? You can probably get a mismatched set of 4 decent tires at $15 a pop at a junkyard, or, if CA allows them, a used tire place.

Originally Posted by JLTD
You want new tires, or used? You can probably get a mismatched set of 4 decent tires at $15 a pop at a junkyard, or, if CA allows them, a used tire place.

Yeah my preference is new tires

For 215/60-17

Walmart has tires for $50 each in that size plus $15 installation, making the total $260
($200 without install, $260 with install)

Then again, sometimes you luck out.

2 years ago, I was browsing through Amazon, and came across their listing for Nankang SP-9 tires in 215/55r17. Normal price was roughly $76 each or something like that. Many of you know that Amazon has pricing algorithms that sometimes act unpredictably, and for these tires, it appeared that the price was dropping by a few cents every minute, so they were down in the $42 range, each. I kept watching, and eventually they were down to just a hair over $39 per tire. Additionally, there was a coupon you could clip for $25. I thought it was for a set, but it turned out to be PER TIRE. Bottom line, I got 4 new tires for $56, delivered.

Used is cheapest. You can do pretty well.
New? You can get some pretty rank tires. Probably Wally World or Pep Girls.
Wheel Works has a cheap line; they are OK. I hate 'em.
Not for me.

Originally Posted by atikovi
I vote this the most vague thread of the year.

+1 - although it could be topped by asking "whats the best price I can expect to pay for a car"

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
I vote this the most vague thread of the year.
lol.gif
A good laugh with my morning coffee, I appreciate that.

Go to each of the sites pandus13 listed, enter your tire size, and check the selection using sort by price. Should give you a good idea of lowest price(s) for a set of tires. When you settle on a tire, check price of that tire again on those sites.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
On a scale of detailed to unintelligibly vague this hit kittens in a closet.

lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back