Honda 1.5T Edge 0W40 8,800mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
this UOA was to see if my step plan was working..3 times I drew about a qt. and replaced it with .5qt. as the bitter cold weather (100 mi. north of Green Bay) short trip dilution pushed it over the full level, the filter (Ultra) was at 21k when this was taken. all in all I'm o.k. with it.

Originally Posted by dblshock
this UOA was to see if my step plan was working..3 times I drew about a qt. and replaced it with .5qt. as the bitter cold weather (100 mi. north of Green Bay) short trip dilution pushed it over the full level, the filter (Ultra) was at 21k when this was taken. all in all I'm o.k. with it.

Was your MM at 15% or less?

Last edited:
I don't MM, go by miles or season...It was pretty much coal black colored.

The comments by the Blackstone person are total garbage and contradictory. In one sentence he talks about fuel dilution and another he say to try for 10,000 miles. SMDH! The 0W40 is a fine choice but, you may want to reduce the mileage between oil changes.

I'm approaching 8K on current 5w30 ams fill. MM is at 20% so will probably have it changed out at 10% or so, UOA to follow.

I wonder if elevated fe is due to winter/FD or something else?

Thanks for sharing

Last edited:
the 210 viscosity was good, excess fluid volume is my worry hence the reason I draw it down...but if you do that math eventually you'd be almost all fuel so here we see that 3-4 qts. is vert doable and that will get you to an extended OCI...changing outside in the frigid here is a pia with the skid plate.

Originally Posted by MParr
SMDH! The 0W40 is a fine choice
SMDH here too! (I had to look that one up in Urban Dictionary. TMAM ! (Too Many Acronyms, Man) )....
Hating Honda's fuel dilution. Wear numbers stink, especially by historical Honda-Toyota standards, where 1 ppm iron per 1,000 miles was almost expected.
0w40 is probably over-kill here, since it resulted in a 30 weight in the end, and this engine is spec'ed for 0w20.
Stick with the Xw30 option, as you're doing now with the Citgo 10w30 you're using now. Although M1 AFE 0w30 for your tough winters.
I can't say any adjustment you make will help those wear numbers though.

Originally Posted by dblshock
saw alot of -10F to some -25F, winter was pretty brutal again here.

I would imagine you cold-start-idled that vehicle a-lot last winter.
Virgin cst@100 probably started out at least one number higher.

I would have ran Castrol Magnatec 5w30 and changed it at the midway point of the OCI (4400 miles).... then again at another 4400, instead of one OCI@ 8800. The winters there north of Green Bay are brutal.

Originally Posted by 2010Civic
That is BS that on a new Honda you have to remove literally quarts of fuel from the oil.

Agreed, but playing the hand dealt me, no big deal to draw out a qt. from the top....it's the cold that causes most of this...otherwise fuel eco is best it's been here at 40k everything functioning properly no trips back to dealer zippy fun to drive...

dblshock, I've read Honda 1.5t UOAs from Canada, using specified oil and running MM recommended intervals that looked like this. Might you be going through excessive trouble?

Originally Posted by wemay
dblshock, I've read Honda 1.5t UOAs from Canada, using specified oil and running MM recommended intervals that looked like this. Might you be going through excessive trouble?

Maybe but the fluid levels get excessive below 0F that;s another can of worms

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
A friend has a 2017 Honda CR-V with the 1.5 Turbo and I am fixin to do oil change and install Fumoto valve. I only got involved because she got in a fender bender and I was checking over the fluids etc and noticed a strong gas odor from the dipstick.

Dealership has done first two oil changes and never mentioned to my friend the potential issue of inordinate amount of fuel in the oil. Nothing from Honda either.

Planning on a UOA in conjunction with the oil change. The previous oil change was mid December as determined by MM at ~11,000 mi.

Going with Castrol Magnatec 0w-20 and Bosch filter. Sticking to OEM oil specs for first change.

Why Bosch filter? Very good media filtration. I will cut the can when I do next change to see if anything shocking is noticed.

Plan to gather sample 3-4 months after oil change for follow up UOA and take it from there.

Always something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back