Cub Cadet LTX1050VT keeps shredding mower belts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 03 Cub Cadet with the 50" deck an 3 blade setup. This thing destroys mower belts. I go through 2 or 3 OEM belts a season. My lawn is 2-3 acres and kind of bumpy, but it shouldn't be eating belts at this rate. The mower only has 242 hours on it.

I'm going to pull the deck off and replace the belt (again).

Is anyone familiar with these, or know anything I should check or adjust? Each blade spins fine, no binding or anything.

How is the belt tensioner? Could it be letting the belt slap against a fixed guard or something bracket eating the belt???

Well, I think I found the problem.

I don't think this deck was ever cleaned. Not once since 2003.

Two of the blades I couldn't even turn by hand due to grass buildup on both the top and bottom of the deck.

I'll post before and after pics shortly.

Originally Posted by oilpsi2high

Two of the blades I couldn't even turn by hand due to grass buildup on both the top and bottom of the deck.

2-3 Belts a season and you have never bothered to clean out the top of the deck? All the grass and leaves insulating the belt and over heating it and causing it to fail? Don't forget to pump some grease into the spindles while you have it all a part

I looked at buying this Cub model and saw reviews about the belt issues so I steered clear. Might see if a dealer can get a very strong kevlar belt but it may not matter.

Originally Posted by oilpsi2high

Can't blame the machine for a lack of maintenance. If you never clean the deck i can only imagine how bad the blades look.

I'm still trying to figure out how all those belt replacements got done without noticing this..

I'm assuming we're talking about the belt on the deck itself and not the PTO to the deck belt.

This is my landlord's mower, not mine.

Anyway, I gave it a full once-over and did the following maintenance for him:

Sharpened and balanced blades
Cleaned and oiled deck
Greased spindles
Replaced drive belt (had to remove deck, hydrostatic clutch, trans fan, pulley, and bend the engine pulley keeper tabs back just to get this belt off.)
Replaced mower belt
Oiled chassis

It's due for new blades, but I think we can get another year or two out of these after sharpening. One of the spindles' hubs are almost rounded off, and the hydrostatic trans is leaking fluid. I checked but didn't see anywhere to add (I guess it's a sealed unit. FAIL.)

This thing runs like a new machine now. The deck vibrations are gone as well.

Hopefully we can at least get through this year without any more repairs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Just a note to say that belt slip is tops when it comes to things that kill belts. They can take amazing loads, but are intolerant of heat. Make sure the tension is sufficient.

Also, bad bearings can heat the pulley and kill a belt. .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back