BG products any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen a lot of BG automotive products over the years but I have never read about them or have any 1st hand experiences with them. What is the consensus about BG stuff? Are they good products that work and give good results? Thanks for any input!

BG = Big Gimmick
lol.gif
27.gif

Always speculated it to be snake oil more than likely. The additives in any SN/SN+ motor oil are more than adequate for any engine's needs. No need for supplements!

A friend who owns his own diesel shop asked me because he knows I'm on BITOG a lot haha! He was interested in the MOA

I only buy used cars I've had improvement in reducing carbon buildup in the 4 cars I used BG44k on. I can see clean aluminum piston tops using my boroscope in all the engines now.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Of the various snake oil companies, they are probably the most legitimate one.

That is my feeling about them as well. We currently use MOC, all overpriced junk, and used Wynns before which seemed like mostly overpriced junk.

The techs love it because they get spiff stickers that they trade for cash so they don't have to tell their wives. Parts hates it because there is minimal profit and we have to deal with stocking it. I have much better use for shelf space than a bunch of snake oil.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Originally Posted by The Critic
Of the various snake oil companies, they are probably the most legitimate one.

That is my feeling about them as well. We currently use MOC, all overpriced junk, and used Wynns before which seemed like mostly overpriced junk.

The techs love it because they get spiff stickers that they trade for cash so they don't have to tell their wives. Parts hates it because there is minimal profit and we have to deal with stocking it. I have much better use for shelf space than a bunch of snake oil.

At my dealer the service writers get the spiffs for selling it, the techs just get the flat rate time to add it.

The BG transmission additive did seem to help the torque converter shudder in my old chevy though, but I think a lot of their stuff is snake oil.

When I was in college I preferred a local NAPA Car Care shop over the dealer and they used BG stuff. I had the ATF in my 02 Ranger changed out with BG full synthetic universal fluid a couple times and the transmission has lived a long, trouble free life and is still going at 230k miles. I did tell them to skip the cleaner stuff.

That truck currently has Wynn's full synthetic in it because that's we have at work. Again, I skipped the cleaner stuff.

Nothing wrong with their products in vehicles that do fine with fairly universal fluids.

My 2001 mercury Sable Wagon began spitting transmission fluid on driveway after a 2+ hr drive. Short drive around town would not cause it. I took it to a local reputable shop and wanted a transmission fluid change. They recommended the BG flush and put the cleaner in it ran for 10-15 minutes. then let me watch the machine exchange the dirty fluid for fresh BG synthetic fluid and then added a can that was recommended for my car - Ad Pack. This was in 2009 and I did ask for the synthetic since I knew it would be more heat resistant and less likely to break down if I actually had a mechanical cause for the fluid to be overheating or foaming whatever was going on. Still have same fluid in car and works great. Not sure a regular fluid change might not have done the same though. Planning to change it out in near future as it is starting to darken a little. Going to try the Amsoil SS fluid this time since I go so long between changes might as well go with what many believe to be the best.

So I have been happy with the BG Transmission fluid flush even though I know many recommend against the flush

BG EPR - Is the bees knees - - - -
Really cleans the piston rings - - better than any other oil additive I have used.........I have used almost all of them
smile.gif

My disappointment with BG is that when I was considering using some BG44K, I tried to contact them directly with questions but got referred to a distributor instead. When I buy a product, I want to be able to ask questions of the manufacturer and not a distributor that may or may not also be selling other products as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back