Car shows had a good run.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were some entertaining shows on Dish for a few years. I guess they ran their course. Now Richard is rehabbing garages, Danny is repeats, there is some married couple changing oil. (She is cute, tho).Hope the Martin clan stays on. That is the funniest show of them all.

Every kind of show has it's run. MASH, Big Bang, Barney Miller etc. These car shows are still pretty good, I mean no professional actors, just plain ol' gear heads. I personally like Kindig It Design. Dave Kindig, from the outside, looks like a really good boss. His main shop people do a really good job of "making" the show while building some of the best Hot Rods I've ever seen. Kindig It Design is on my bucket list to visit as they have shop tours.
grin.gif
This summer probably.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
They're in Salt Lake City.

Where my daughter will be living for the next several years.

I didn't know that they give tours, but I would love to see the shop!

Fantom Works is in Norfolk, and I've done the tour (and got the T-shirt). Had a nice chat with Dan about the Packard.

Sadly, that project is on hold pending a better storage situation for the Packard.

Dan is a good guy, and I would trust him with my car.

I know that he wasn't making any money from doing the show. It was good advertising, but filming often got in the way of doing work, and often, work had to be rescheduled/modified to fit a show "agenda" which was detrimental to the overall business.

He was booking projects two years in advance, when we talked last year. I reckon he doesn't need the exposure/publicity from shooting the show any more.

Edit: found this on his website

https://www.fantomworks.com/14385/why-drs-quit/

Last edited:
Entertaining Car Shows- The Grand Tour. Epic Adventures!

Work on Stuff- RoadKill Garage and Fantomworks.

Guilty Pleasure- Chasing Classic Cars (i could watch Roger all day long).

Turning Junk into something cool- Vegas Rat Rods.

Flipping Junk Cars- Junkyard Empire.

Show I dont get- Shifting Gears with Aaron Kaufman..

Most Entertaining car show- Diesel Brothers and Misfit Garage.

Others-
American Chopper- too much tension in the air.
Counting Cars- Danny is a cool cat.. mostly a show about being cool brother.

Are they still making "Wheeler Dealers"? That's the only car show I really got into. Haven't seen any new episodes in a while. I like it because they focus on the cars and the shop work, very little drama -- just some humor and teasing here and there. Engine Power is another good example of a focused car show but for some reason I did not get into it as much as Wheeler Dealers.
All the other car shows rely on the drama of working and family relationships to create interest. I want car shows, not soap operas. Even Fantomworks has too much drama for me. Don't get me wrong, I can understand the appeal for some, but it's just not my thing. To each their own.

I love car shows and still watch them sometimes, but let's be honest. They were some of the worst corporate shills possible. They were fun to watch because they had theme projects and the hosts were actual mechanics. My favs were when they took a normal car and put mods on it that an actual person could afford, like a small lift and new bumpers on a truck, bolts-ons on a modern muscle car (or import when they were big in the early 2000s, I think it was Horsepower TV modded an old civic). Some of those projects got out of control with the $20k+ motors and bespoke frame and suspension packages.

It was so funny watching those hosts react the same way to a 5% hp increase in an old civic as a 50-100% increase when working on some old hot rod.
lol.gif

TV viewers from that time would kill to watch something with the authenticity of SMA. I stopped watching ETCG when he changed his content to a turn of the century-style project-focused car show and stopped wrenching on corroded garbage.

Last edited:
They are all turned into sitcoms and then get cancelled or we wish they were. Roadkill is holding on but they don't seem to have any sort of schedule. The best car /anything repair show I thought was American Restoration when it first came out. Became more drama then changed completely to new shops? Ricks Restoration is a cool place to visit in Vegas.

I like the Count's good guy attitude..I don't find ego clashes entertaining. Boyd Coddington and Jesse James were total jerks. I wouldn't have a Coddington car if you gave it to me Most were hurry up jobs. I really like Zoo on Animal planet and Barnboard Builders on Discovery

Danny (the count), Kindigit, Dan's shop and Graveyard cars - all good shows and I'd trust 'em to do quality work.

The ones on Motortrend OnDemand are good. RoadKill and RK Garage. Dirt Every Day. EngineMasters. etc..

I see that. I tried to edit but can't figure out how. Should be

"Hot Rods and Custom's and Collector Car TV Shows had a good run............."

No one's brought up the 3 Girls Garage yet. I did see one with a grease smear near her nice shirt as they turbo'ed a 1JZ (or a 2JZ)? I stopped watching..........

Originally Posted by rekit
I see that. I tried to edit but can't figure out how. Should be

"Hot Rods and Custom's and Collector Car TV Shows had a good run............."

No one's brought up the 3 Girls Garage yet. I did see one with a grease smear near her nice shirt as they turbo'ed a 1JZ (or a 2JZ)? I stopped watching..........
There are the entertaining real car shows, the decidedly NOT entertaining (IMO) "reality" shows that call themselves car and motorcycle shows (mostly focused on contrived personal conflict, like American Hot Rod and American Chopper), and then there are the thinly disguised infomercials that call themselves car shows, like All Girls Garage, Two Guys Garage, Car Fix, and Truck-U.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back